Some good news we should all appreciate

O_P_T

Why Be Normal
Reaction score
Well, things have been "funky" for a bit, but IMHO, this is some of the best news , assuming it pans out, I've seen in quite some time.

Princeton Researchers Discover 'Poison Arrow' Antibiotic That Resists Immunity

Hannah C.Jun 04, 2020 10:38 PM EDT

Princeton University researchers discovered a new compound that works like a 'poisoned arrow' antibiotic which can destroy bacteria and at the same time remains immune to antibiotic resistance. The compound SCH-79797 has the ability to penetrate bacterial walls while destroying cell folate.

Bacterial infections in the study were labeled as Gram-positive and Gram-negative, bacteria with an outer layer of armor that dismisses most antibiotics. Zemer Gitai, an Edwin Grant Conklin Professor of Biology from the university said that 'This is the first antibiotic that can target Gram-positive and Gram-negatives without resistance.'

As scientists, what they're excited about the most, Gitai shared, was discovering something new about the antibiotic works - 'attacking via two different mechanisms within one molecule - that we are hoping is generalizable, leading to better antibiotics - and new types of antibiotics - in the future.'

Generally, the greatest weakness of antibiotics is the bacteria's ability to evolve and quickly resist medicine. The team was unable to generate any form of resistance against SCH-79797, naming the compound's derivatives 'Irresistin.'

James Martin, a Ph.D. graduate who worked with the compound said that his 'first challenge was convincing the lab that it was true,' because the antibiotic is effective against diseases while being immune to resistance and safe for humans. It's even better than rubbing alcohol or bleach which are fatal for bacteria and human cells alike.

However, antibiotic research means that the team included breeding multiple generations of the compound until bacteria evolves to a state of resistance, so they can reverse-engineer the molecule. With the new compound being irresistible, there is nothing to reverse-engineer from. In trying to prove that the compound is in fact irresistible and figuring out how it works, Martin attempted several ways to trigger the bacteria to evolve from multiple antibiotic doses and exposure to resistant bacterial species like gonorrhea.

'Poisoned Arrow'
After years of finding no resistance to the antibiotic, the team eventually discovered that the single-molecule has two distinct mechanisms, like a 'poisoned arrow.' Benjamin Bratton, a molecular biology researcher and lecturer from the Lewis Sigler Institute for Integrative Genomics said that 'The arrow has to be sharp to get the poison in, but the poison has to kill on its own, too.'

The arrow penetrates the thick armor, or outer membrane of the Gram-negative bacteria while poisoning folate, a building block of DNA and RNA - two mechanisms operating synergistically. Bratton described it as, 'If you just take those two halves - there are commercially available drugs that can attack either of those two pathways - and you just dump them into the same pot, that doesn't kill as effectively as our molecule, which has them joined together on the same body,'

Antibiotic Development
One problem in their experiments was that the original antibiotic killed both human and bacterial cells at a similar level, meaning that converted into medicine, it could possibly kill the patient before killing the infection. However, the derivative Irresistin-16 fixed that issue. Being almost 1000 times more potent against bacterial cells than human cells, the promising antibiotic was confirmed to cure 16 mice infected with gonorrhea.

KC Huang, a microbiology and immunology bioengineer Stanford professor who is not part of the new research said that 'This compound is already so useful by itself, but also, people can start designing new compounds that are inspired by this. That's what has made this work so exciting.' The poisoned arrow dual mechanism can revolutionize antibiotic development. 'A study like this says that we can go back and revisit what we thought were the limitations on our development of new antibiotics,' said Huang

Additional bits from The London Times, but that's behind a paywall, so I've copied from here

In the laboratory they killed off a strain of gonorrhoea resistant to all other antibiotics. They were also effective against gram-negative bacteria, which have an outer layer that shrugs off most antibiotics. No new classes of gram-negative-killing drugs have come to the market in nearly three decades.

Antibiotic resistance has been recognised as one of the biggest threats to global health. Superbugs are estimated to kill at least 700,000 people each year and forecasts have suggested that that figure could reach ten million by 2050.

Kerwyn Huang, a professor of bioengineering at Stanford University who was not involved in this research, said that the discovery had the potential to revolutionise antibiotic development.

To gauge whether bacteria would become resistant to the compound millions of generations of microbes were exposed to it. Each generation had a chance to evolve resistance. During a marathon 25-day experiment, none did. It was also tested against bacterial species infamous for their antibiotic resistance, including Neisseria gonorrhoeae, which is on the top five list of urgent threats published by the US Center for Disease Control and Prevention.

Huzzah!

Sooner or later Mother Nature will figure it out and we'll have super duper drug resistant bacteria.

Sooner or later Mother Nature will figure it out and we'll have super duper drug resistant bacteria.

I watched some show last night about a thing called NanoantiBiotics. You should look into that. Basically people are saying in in 50 years people will never be sick again. Disease will be a thing of the past.

I've been reading about this drug for a few weeks and the studies show that bacterial resistance is near impossible bc of the way the drug works. This one kills the bacteria or doesn't harm it at all (if it can't get to the bacteria, for example, the brain). Current antibiotics kill or inhibit growth in most bacteria but make some 'sick'. The sick ones recover occasionally and develop resistance. There are no 'sick' ones with this drug, hence, no chance to evolve.

I watched some show last night about a thing called NanoantiBiotics. You should look into that. Basically people are saying in in 50 years people will never be sick again. Disease will be a thing of the past.

Once infectious disease is under control science can turn full throttle towards "inflammation" which is also an important cause of illness in animals. Autoimmune diseases are one such category - rheumatoid arthritis for one, lupus for another - that cause chronic inflammation which can lead to a cascade of other events, any one of which can be lethal.

Chronic inflammation (of knee jts from arthritis, for example) can lead to strokes and cardiac events (and often does over time).

We need far better drugs to control inflammation. The COX inhibitors we're using now have way too many side effects. They simply aren't safe to use and can't be the answer.

So this bone on bone inflammation I’ve been living with in my left knee can eventually cause me to stroke out?

We need far better drugs to control inflammation. The COX inhibitors we're using now have way too many side effects. They simply aren't safe to use and can't be the answer.

I've had achy joints for a long time. I always thought this was the price to pay for being old and active. But 3 or so years ago, on a doctor's advice, I cut our grains from my diet. Within two weeks I could get up from a chair and walk immediately afterward, no standing for a few seconds, then walking the first few steps hunched over. No achy joints unless I actually was very active the previous day.

By experimenting I found that wheat was the biggest culprit. Eating other grains left me sore but not as bad as wheat. No grains is a tough diet to follow (I never realized corn was a grain. It used to be my favorite 'vegetable') and I've never been able to stay on it faithfully for an extended period. I can get away eating a sandwich or toast now and then, but a little quickly leads to a lot, almost addictively, so I just do my best.

---------- Post added at 12:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:04 PM ----------

So this bone on bone inflammation I’ve been living with in my left knee can eventually cause me to stroke out?
For a few years I used glucosamine chondroitin to build cartilage in my right knee from playing End in high school. (We didn't have DEs and TEs, just Ends, that's how old I am). It seemed to help. At least it doesn't hurt like it used to.

For a few years I used glucosamine chondroitin to build cartilage in my right knee from playing End in high school. (We didn't have DEs and TEs, just Ends, that's how old I am). It seemed to help. At least it doesn't hurt like it used to.

You're not really all that old, Uncle Space. :shrug:

Cheers, GrandNephewTim

Yes. It's complicated but inflammation is a huge cause of thromboembolic events.

I've had achy joints for a long time. I always thought this was the price to pay for being old and active. But 3 or so years ago, on a doctor's advice, I cut our grains from my diet. Within two weeks I could get up from a chair and walk immediately afterward, no standing for a few seconds, then walking the first few steps hunched over. No achy joints unless I actually was very active the previous day.

By experimenting I found that wheat was the biggest culprit. Eating other grains left me sore but not as bad as wheat. No grains is a tough diet to follow (I never realized corn was a grain. It used to be my favorite 'vegetable') and I've never been able to stay on it faithfully for an extended period. I can get away eating a sandwich or toast now and then, but a little quickly leads to a lot, almost addictively, so I just do my best.

---------- Post added at 12:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:04 PM ----------

Wise doctor.

Glucosamine is a controversial supplement regarding DJD. Most studies conclude it does nothing for arthritis or joint health although a few people swear it has beneficial effects for them. Meta-analysis pretty much proves it is an expensive waste of money.
https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/the-latest-on-glucosaminechondroitin-supplements-2016101710391

Yes. It's complicated but inflammation is a huge cause of thromboembolic events.
Hmmm. Maybe I'll work a little harder avoiding pulled pork sandwiches. I'm stuck in the 80/20 rules, down to not eating much more than food that looks like food. That alone eliminated most wheat, and most sugar as well. Additional changes come hard.

Wise doctor.
Yeah. I have to admit I was skeptical, then surprised when halfway into the month I was feeling a LOT better, so much less stiff and achy.

Glucosamine is a controversial supplement regarding DJD. Most studies conclude it does nothing for arthritis or joint health although a few people swear it has beneficial effects for them. Meta-analysis pretty much proves it is an expensive waste of money.
https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/the-latest-on-glucosaminechondroitin-supplements-2016101710391
Could be. It seemed to help at first, but after I noticed I'd maxed out on any changes, I stopped taking it. I'm an engineer and I can't help isolating processes for data to determine if things change. Problem is, changes aren't necessarily indicative of efficacy. I know atorvastatin reduces my cholesterol #'s, but not if it makes a difference to my long term health.

What are your thoughts on CoQ10 in relation to atorvastatin? Muscle aches and brain function. Been taking that for a LONG time.

What are your thoughts on CoQ10 in relation to atorvastatin? Muscle aches and brain function. Been taking that for a LONG time.

IDK. Dogs and cats don't have cholesterol issues and no one in my family does so there's never been a need to study up on them.

I do have a wise friend, Angelo Azzi, PhD, who has edited thousands of scientific studies for medical journals world wide. He's 81, brilliant, speaks/reads 8 languages and he's still in high demand as an editor. Of CoQ10 and folic acid supplements he says "Cancer loves those two supplements - they help cancers grow and thrive. Why would anyone take a supplement that helps cancer get started?"

There are other examples, too many for me to list. The point he was trying to make in this lecture at Tuft's Medical School was not to overload on any supplement. Balance is the key. The irony here, he says, is that no one truly knows the correct amount of nutrients (vitamins, minerals, supplements) we need in a day which automatically makes the right balance impossible to know.

He himself takes 1 multivitamin tablet each week and eats a well rounded healthy diet high in veggies and fruits. Btw, he loves meat. His fav Boston restaurant is Fogo de Chão Brazilian Steakhouse; we take him there every time he flies in to Boston which is about 5 times each year. He also loves red wine.

Hit this link -
https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=Angelo+AzziA. Azzi - Editor-in-Chief - Molecular Aspects of Medicine

[url]www.journals.elsevier.com
› editorial-board › a-azzi
[/URL]

Angelo Azzi M.D. University of Padua, Italy (1963), postdoctoral training Department of Biophysics University of Pennsylvania (1967-1969) PhD in Pathophysiology (1969) and in Biochemistry (1970); Associate Professor (1970-1975) and Full Professor (1976-1977).

His research interests are human nutrition and its relationship to disease, mitochondria and Bioactive Compounds. He has over 22,000 citations for his work and he's written 2 books. He's a fascinating man who lives a full life. He's a great guy, too.

IDK. Dogs and cats don't have cholesterol issues and no one in my family does so there's never been a need to study up on them.

I do have a wise friend, Angelo Azzi, PhD, who has edited thousands of scientific studies for medical journals world wide. He's 81, brilliant, speaks/reads 8 languages and he's still in high demand as an editor. Of CoQ10 and folic acid supplements he says "Cancer loves those two supplements - they help cancers grow and thrive. Why would anyone take a supplement that helps cancer get started?"

There are other examples, too many for me to list. The point he was trying to make in this lecture at Tuft's Medical School was not to overload on any supplement. Balance is the key. The irony here, he says, is that no one truly knows the correct amount of nutrients (vitamins, minerals, supplements) we need in a day which automatically makes the right balance impossible to know.

He himself takes 1 multivitamin tablet each week and eats a well rounded healthy diet high in veggies and fruits. Btw, he loves meat. His fav Boston restaurant is Fogo de Chão Brazilian Steakhouse; we take him there every time he flies in to Boston which is about 5 times each year. He also loves red wine.

Hit this link -
https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=Angelo+AzziA. Azzi - Editor-in-Chief - Molecular Aspects of Medicine

[url]www.journals.elsevier.com
› editorial-board › a-azzi
[/URL]

Angelo Azzi M.D. University of Padua, Italy (1963), postdoctoral training Department of Biophysics University of Pennsylvania (1967-1969) PhD in Pathophysiology (1969) and in Biochemistry (1970); Associate Professor (1970-1975) and Full Professor (1976-1977).

His research interests are human nutrition and its relationship to disease, mitochondria and Bioactive Compounds. He has over 22,000 citations for his work and he's written 2 books. He's a fascinating man who lives a full life. He's a great guy, too.

Thanks. The reason I asked was that I was about ready to drop it and wanted to know if that might be a mistake.

I know correlation is causation, but neither do I like coincidences. I started studying French and Spanish a while back and really upped the hours per week since the lockdown, talking to native speakers on italki and lots of grammar/vocab work in between. Memory and forgetfulness are definitely better than last fall, first noticed by my wife, not me.

I like natural better, anyway.

Thanks much!!!

Wise doctor.

Thanks chev.

So in another thread I’ve mentioned my use of CBD. It works phenomenally for me.

About 3 weeks ago for no reason other than I ran out and put off going to buy more I stopped taking it. Over the course of about 2 1/2 weeks my knee regressed to unbearable discomfort and pain. I simply had to go get some. First day slightly better. Second day noticeably better. Third almost normal. And now no pain.

This stuff is amazing for me.

Once infectious disease is under control science can turn full throttle towards "inflammation" which is also an important cause of illness in animals. Autoimmune diseases are one such category - rheumatoid arthritis for one, lupus for another - that cause chronic inflammation which can lead to a cascade of other events, any one of which can be lethal.

Chronic inflammation (of knee jts from arthritis, for example) can lead to strokes and cardiac events (and often does over time).

NO SHIT, 13 years I was in the trenches, some joints never return

Back