Super Bowl LVIII game thread.

49ers should have chosen field direction when they won the coin toss in OT.

Have the advantage of 4 downs once they got the ball.

Welp, this is going to be a miserable off-season with all the Chiefs dynasty talk ... sigh.
Sports casters were already comparing Mahomes to Brady when the kid was still in training pants. They were determined to have a new Brady and decided Mahomes was Da Guy. That's the main reason I wanted to see the Chiefs plotz in today's game (apart from the fact that I live right outside SF). There is no "new Brady" nor will there be in the foreseeable future. And it totally pisses me off that they're already putting KC in the same category as NE in our glory days. Let's see them win another one.

BTW - I understand Brady is buying some rights to Da Raiders. This pleases Mr. OBF who is a lifelong Raiders fan.

49ers should have chosen field direction when they won the coin toss in OT.

Have the advantage of 4 downs once they got the ball.
true, although the announcers did make the point that the 9ers "D" was just on the field for that last 4th qtr drive and were spent. The 9ers having a long drive didn't seem to freshen them up any unfortunately.
I kept thinking there would be a KC fumble or deflected pass picked to win it for 9ers, but no such luck (guess that wasn't in the script :coffee: )

you mean the extra point that was blocked? I don't recall a missed kicked otherwise but might have missed it. the 9ers kicker was considered a potential liability as he had missed playoff kicks already, but he wasn't the problem (unless that extra point block was really low, I heard it on the radio while driving my son to work)
68 for 68 in the regular season on PATS. This one came out low like a 60 yarder, right when it would have forced KC to get a touchdown instead of extending if needed with field goals.

Welp, I hated that but not as much as I thought I would. The bar stayed open a little later so I was cool with that. 😂

Last edited:
Bills and Ravens and Niners all shit the bed on the big stage to a very beatable Chiefs team.

And of course, while Mahomes will get feted, everyone will forget the key moment in OT was Chris Jones blowing up that Niner 3rd down deep in the RZ and forcing SF to take the FG. At least Butler got recognised and celebrated, as did HT for the key moment in the 28-3 SB.

It's one thing if you get beat in a Super Bowl, it's another think if you lose a Super Nowl by stepping on your own dicks.
This one will hurt the Niners players and coaches for a long time. Some may even come down with Scott Norward syndrome.

68 for 68 in the regular season on PATS. This one came out low like a 60 yarder, right when it would have forced KC to get a touchdown instead of extending if needed with field goals.
it would have been interesting if Chiefs had to get a TD - had he made the PAT and 9ers had a 4pt lead - what happens there. Chiefs might be playing it diff knowing they just need an FG, and if they score the TD they win vs. OT... and if 9ers stop them they win.
only thing OT did was get me the "over" I needed :)

It's one thing if you get beat in a Super Bowl, it's another think if you lose a Super Nowl by stepping on your own dicks.
This one will hurt the Niners players and coaches for a long time. Some may even come down with Scott Norward syndrome.
It's gut-wrenching because they are as close to a total football team as you can get. Defense is top drawer, offense has weapons everywhere and Purdy actually played well. ST is OK, the kicker is so so but punter is very good.

And yet they lose another SB. That's three consecutive SBs they have competed in, now lost. 1994 is a long time ago and the modern Niners are approaching Bills territory.

They had the game in their hands and only fell behind once; the D were flying around the place making plays, they were getting to Mahomes, etc. And yet it was really Shanahans play calling that let them down. He stopped calling run plays for some unfathomable reason and just left the door ajar for the Chiefs to hang in there. And that missed PAT...wow.

Mahomes does deserve huge credit. He does have a Brady-like ability to always stay in the game, and he made crucial plays last night, two with his feet when the game was literally on the line. And the Niners let Kelce loose a few times for massive plays.

And what happens the 49ers now?? They will be approaching cap hell very soon and will be unable to hold onto to some of those superstars.

Back