T.Dungy Stepping down.....erm, no he isn't, he is staying.

Jammer

Reaction score
T.Dungy Stepping down!

Report on ESPN

Press conférence for later today, will also introduce new Head Coach

The Indianapolis Colts will hold a press conference later today with Tony Dungy set to announce that he is stepping down as Coach of the Colts...the Colts will also introduce Jim Caldwell as their New Head Coach at the presser....Dungy told Colts Owner Jim Irsay and his staff of his decision this morning.

just a typical Polian move to take the attention away from the Patriots.... :D

Polian should use ARod publicist and wait until 1/2 time of the superbowl

Look like conflicting reports a read somewhere else he is staying ???

Where are you guys getting this info?

The story on espn.com says Dungy is leaning toward returning.

Steve-o on 01-21-2008 at 02:20 PM said:
Where are you guys getting this info?

The story on espn.com says Dungy is leaning toward returning.
don't mind Jammer, there Steve-o --- you know how these Chargers-types are.......

Rivers' legs are broken --- NO, now he's playing

LdT is 100% OKIE DOAKIE --- NO, now he's sprained his class and will sit on his ass

Thanks for the info Jammer.

I'm curious as to something and hoping I can get some honest "non-trash talking" answers from some of you.

Put yourself in my perspective for a minute.

You have a good/great team, that has won you one superbowl but aside from that has traditionally underperformed in the playoffs. Many believe, that your current head coach is directly responsible for that.

With your current head coach, you are pretty much a lock to at the very least make the playoffs. Do you make the switch at head coach?

Now keep in mind, that for various reasons, if you do switch head coaches, the team is not in a position to where you can make wholesale changes. We spend the last 4-5 years building a defense for a certain type of scheme, and changing that scheme realistically puts you back 2-3 years. Not to mention, that the defense in question has played at a high level at times (just not in your most recent playoff loss)
:banghead:
Meanwhile, you have your Franchise QB approaching the end of his peak years, and really can not afford to rebuild the entire defense, and assume that the offensive production will not drop off by the time you get the defense together.

So, with that in mind, do you make the switch in coaching staffs?

EDIT: WTF Jammer. Why are you playing with my emotions?

*mikiemo83 on 01-21-2008 at 02:16 PM said:
just a typical Polian move to take the attention away from the Patriots.... :D

Polian should use ARod publicist and wait until 1/2 time of the superbowl

except dungy said he should know by monday over a week ago.

Attention thriving whores>)

jaric on 01-21-2008 at 02:24 PM said:

So, with that in mind, do you make the switch in coaching staffs?

It is a hard question, but reading your post it struck me that those very things were the reasons Tampa Bay got rid of Dungy.

Undertaker #59* on 01-21-2008 at 02:26 PM said:
It is a hard question, but reading your post it struck me that those very things were the reasons Tampa Bay got rid of Dungy.
It's certainly true.

Of course if Jim Irsay handled the situation the way the Bucs did, Dungy would have been let go after 2005. In 2006 we win it all. Who is to say the same thing wouldn't have happened had Dungy stayed in Tampa?

Also, look at where the Bucs are the year after that SB. This is was the first year they've really been even competitive, and I think alot of us would agree they were more hype than substance. A mediocre team who won a weak division.

It's very easy to pick apart the flaws in a person, it's much harder to say "I've got someone better."

Which I guess is what has be confuddled about the whole situation. I see the flaws that Dungy has as a coach, but is there a better candidate out there? I don't realistically think so. I've heard alot of positive things about Caldwell, but if anything he is another version of Dungy which is both good and bad.

It will be intresting to say the least.

Undertaker #59* on 01-21-2008 at 02:26 PM said:

And we see how that worked out for them.

One Super Bowl with Dungy's team, followed by 3 LOLful seasons, and two seasons of wilcard week playoff losses.

Colts will keep caldwell. The entire D is predicated around the Cover 2 4-3 style defense. If they were to bring in a cowher, a bunch of players (bracket, freeney, mathis) wouldnt fit in the 3-4 scheme.

Back