Taboo on FX, Tuesdays @ 10

Peachhead

Bite me!
Reaction score
It's a new series that started last night.I checked it out and so far it looks very interesting.

It's set in London in 1814. Apparently it starts with an old man dying. And his son, which everyone thought was dead in a shipwrecked slave ship near Africa, returns to claim his inheritance. It's a strip of land near Vancouver, Canada which the East India Company wants BAD. Bad enough that someone (presumably the EIC) killed the father over. Thinking the land would go over to the dead man's daughter (the main character's sister, or perhaps half-sister). Which the EIC had a deal with to buy the land.

The main character's a total badass. Zero f*cks given kinda guy. With top-notch military training and some mysterious "taboo" type stuff in his background. Both before and after the shipwreck. It's very gritty and dark (and promises to be pretty violent). Reminiscent of Sons of Anarchy, Vikings and The Bastard Executioner. Profanity (I noticed 3 or 4 F-bombs) and naked butts here and there.

Check it out on DVR. I'm curious what ya'll think.

Also, I think the actor who plays the main character's brother-in-law was Torstein in Vikings.

Saw the previews for it and it looked interesting. Forgot trying to watch last night. Will have to see if it is available on demand.

Saw the previews for it and it looked interesting. Forgot trying to watch last night. Will have to see if it is available on demand.

Not sure if Mrs. O.Z.O. recorded this last night or not as we had been going back and forth on watching it.

If you missed the preview they'll probably run it ahead of next week's episode.

Not sure if Mrs. O.Z.O. recorded this last night or not as we had been going back and forth on watching it.

Pretty standard. Show debuts. They hope for positive response, then rerun ahead of S1E2 lo bring those who missed it back on course. That's how I often end up checking out new shows, cause I'm no frontrunner. :coffee:

Cheers

With all the changes I've recently made, I am not even sure right now what my best source of FX is right now (satellite, sling, fx app), but I'll get it sorted, as I know there was another FX show or two that I watch.

I started to watch it last night but it was too late and I was just too tired to stay focused enough to follow what was going on. It seemed to be a pretty interesting show though so I'll try to pick up where I left off tonight.

FX on demand making me watch commercials is annoying, but if the show is good enough I'll suck it up. #firstworldproblems

If you have the Comcast X-1 box, there's a sweet workaround.

I upgraded to that a few months back and wanted to reassign a button to do 30 second skip forward for the DVR.

On my old box, I could assign that function to any button.

On the X-1, you have to change the duration of the 5 minute skip forward (arrow up on the right)

Instructions are here.

It turns out that this works as well on On-Demand.

I watched a few shows on Fox and ABC that the FF was disabled, but the 30 second skip worked just fine.

I don't know for certain if it will work with FX, but it probably will.

Saw the first ep On-Demand last night (yes the skip forward worked :D )

I like it and set up the DVR for a series record.

We watched it last night and I found it to be pretty interesting so iIll be watching the next episode.

We believe that James' half sister Zilpha is the mother to his son that is living with the old man Ibbotson he entrusted to watch over him and paid him handsomely for it. I get the feeling Thorne isn't going to be around too long if he tried carrying out his threat.

I'm kind of surprised at the language in this show but it is on BBC One so maybe that shouldn't come as a surprise.

I have counted three different actors from Game of Thrones so far. Just waiting for a Peter Dinklage sighting.

I have counted three different actors from Game of Thrones so far. Just waiting for a Peter Dinklage sighting.

And I'm pretty sure the Madame was played by the girlfriend from the first Jason Bourne movie

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Four.

Play a game of "Can you spot the Game of Thrones actors?"

With its roster of predominantly British actors and cable cachet, there were bound to be former inhabitants of Westeros dressed up in all-new gear as members of the cast.

Pryce was last seen getting vaporized by Cersei's wildfire nuke in Season 6 as the High Sparrow, and here he serves as the series' main antagonist Sir Stuart Strange. Chaplin (OPT Note: The sister) was a guest of honor at Season 3's Red Wedding as Robb Stark's pregnant bride Talisa Stark, and her situation in Taboo is only slightly better.

Hall is much meaner in Taboo as Chaplin's onscreen abusive husband, but he was gentler in Game of Thrones as Lord Hugh of the Vale. Until he was just dead after he was lanced through the throat in a jousting match against The Mountain in Season 1. Roger Ashton-Griffiths plays one of Strange's men, but you'll recognize his very unique face as that of Mace Tyrell, one of Westeros' true champions who was also melted in the great wildfire bombing of Season 6.

There are likely more in there, can you find them all?

Back