Teh Official Week 15 Other Games Thread

patriots pam

2014-15 Game Day Thread Champion
Reaction score
Website
badpixofgoodfood.pamsez.me
Starting this one a day early. So sue me. :D
I figured the news of Welker being ruled out for tommorow's DEN/SD game would be a good reason to start the thread now.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000296529/article/denver-broncos-wes-welker-concussion-out-vs-bolts

I already had this TNF game penned into my viewing schedule, now I've added double underlines as MUST SEE Thursday Night Football. Not sure that's ever happened before. lol

Let me count the ways I think think it's a real possibilty SD can win this:

1. No Welker Binky 1 YD TDs for Fivehead
2. SDs history of being Manning slayers :D
3. SD only lost 20-28 in their 1st game to Denver, at Mile High (EDIT: Nope, was in SD :doh:)
4. That darn lovable little go-getter yard gnome Danny Woodhead!

Anyone else also actually looking forward to a TNF football game for once? :)

NOTE: Not celebrating WW's injury that's causing him to miss this game, in any way. He is forever on my poopy head list now, but I wish him well health wise!

I'll take a looksee during. I won't sit through it unless it gets good, though.

Would love to see the Chargers beat up on Manning.

Probably the best Thursday game this year, since there are real stakes. Denver proably clinches the #1 seed with a win; hard to see an upset past that on their schedule.

San Diego has some real fight this year, but for some reason, I don't see much of a contest in this one. Should be a 2-score win for the Broncos, at minimum.

I'm planning on watching it with fingers and toes crossed.

GAH! You are correct, sir. Brain freeze on my part for sure. :doh:

Well, that does curb my enthusiasm a tad about the prospect of an SD win, but I'm gonna roll with it any way.

Temperature will be 30 at kickoff w/ light wind and the temp will be 25 by game's end. No precip.

Rivers is having one of the best seasons in the NFL this year. The Broncos defense, to put it mildly, sucks, so the Chargers could put up a lot of points. However, the Broncos seem to put up 30+ points on everyone, and are averaging over 40 ppg at home. It will be hard for SD to keep up with them in Denver, but maybe the football will take a few funny bounces, and we will find ourselves the #1 seed come Sunday afternoon.

Rivers is having one of the best seasons in the NFL this year. The Broncos defense, to put it mildly, sucks, so the Chargers could put up a lot of points. However, the Broncos seem to put up 30+ points on everyone, and are averaging over 40 ppg at home. It will be hard for SD to keep up with them in Denver, but maybe the football will take a few funny bounces, and we will find ourselves the #1 seed come Sunday afternoon.

Both defenses will have to rely on turnovers to stop the opponent's offense.

http://predominantlyorange.com/2013/12/11/key-matchup-chargers-o-line-vs-broncos-pass-rush/

If you’ve been asleep at the wheel this NFL season, you might have missed the story about Chargers quarter Phillip Rivers experiencing a career revival.
After sinking to five-year lows in touchdowns (26), passing yards (3,606) and passer rating (88.6) in 2012 that was compounded by a career-high 22 turnovers and 49 sacks, Rivers is playing some of the best ball of his career and has San Diego (6-7) in the thick of a hyper-complex race for the AFC’s sixth and final playoff spot.

A lot of credit goes to the hogs up front, whose protection has cut Rivers’ sack total in half — 24 through 13 games, and has allowed for career highs in both his completion percentage, 70.3 percent, and passer rating, 106.4.
Nonetheless, the Chargers are still on the outside looking in when it comes to the playoff picture — they sit behind Baltimore and Miami, both 7-6 — and arrive in the Mile High City carrying a four-game losing streak to their divisional rival that extends back to October 2011.
Despite the recent outcomes against the boys in powder blue, this is short-week matchup comes at the wrong time for a Bronco defense that remains very hobbled with injuries to starters Champ Bailey, Derek Wolfe, Kevin Vickerson and Rahim Moore.
If that weren’t enough, the club is limiting starting safety Duke Ihenacho’s time on the field and has asked captain Wesley Woodyard to take a smaller roll the rest of the regular season.

John Fox explained these moves with rhetorical coach-speak earlier this week, saying that “Wesley Woodyard is a great player for us and he’s done a tremendous job…Wesley Woodyard’s fine. He’s going to play a lot of football for us moving forward … It’s that the other guys have earned opportunities, and the more guys that you can call on, the better it is for your football team.”
Right, John, whatever that means. Football is an ever-changing business, we get it — some guys move up the depth chart, some move down.
While all of these headlines and injuries suggest that the Broncos’ defense is heading in the wrong direction in December, the team’s best defensive unit — its pass rush — remains intact, for the most part, and has been playing its best football of the season over the last four weeks.

Von Miller, the group’s unquestionable leader, had one of, if not, his best games of the season against Tennessee and will need that high-performance level to carry over into the short week against a quarterback he hasn’t much trouble pressuring in his five career games against San Diego.
Defensive coordinator Jack Del Rio should expect a lot of double teams on Miller tomorrow night though, which means former Charger-standout Shaun Phillips will have to make an impact along with backup rusher Robert Ayers, who’s battled inconsistency issues this year.
If the Broncos fail to apply a consistent pass rush on Rivers, who’s enjoyed being able to sit behind his much-improved offensive line this season, then it will be a long day for Denver.

Yes, the Broncos can score points until the stadium lights go out. However, that anecdote short changes the fact San Diego comes into this week hungry and with their backs against the proverbial wall.
Rivers remains the team’s best player, despite what pundits may say, and he’s been a Bronco killer in the past. With the Denver secondary at its weakest, Rivers must be licking his chops to get on the field and prove to the football world that the Chargers are a playoff-caliber team.
Denver’s pass rushers have the ability to write a completely different script for anchors to read Friday morning. And, more importantly, send Rivers in the one direction he doesn’t want to go just yet: home.

Certainly not a 'gimme' for the Broncs.

Is it hard to assume at this point that Rivers was being held back by coaching? All of the sudden you have coaching changes and Rivers is putting up stats again.

I was surprised to see that the Chargers are 10.5 point dogs in this game. Seems like a large spread. I think the Broncos should win, but I may have to go place a bet to try a jinx them...

Busy until around 9:30 tonight, but I'll probably try to catch the 2nd half if the game is close.

I was surprised to see that the Chargers are 10.5 point dogs in this game. Seems like a large spread. I think the Broncos should win, but I may have to go place a bet to try a jinx them...

3 points for home, 7.5 advatage on neutral, yeah I can see that. Chargers Defense is not very good, Denver is good at home, and they tend to make mistakes on the road that cost them.

Back