The 2016 salary cap

DeflateThis

Reaction score
I was having a look at our current 2016 salary cap numbers at: http://overthecap.com/salary-cap/new-england-patriots/

It's estimateted we got apx 3m to spare on next years cap.

Some players stand out in terms of their on-field value compared to their cap-value:

1. Mayo has a 2016 cap number of 11,4m, with 4m dead money.
2. Cannon has a cap number of 4,8m with 1m dead money.
3. Chandler has a cap number of 3m with 1 m dead money.

Cutting these players will save 13,2m, giving a total of 16,2m to spend. (I realize a resturcture will be just as/more probable for at least some of them).

There are no important players with expiring contracts in the offseason, but Chandler Jones, Hightower and Collins need to be taken care off. These 3 will count for close to 17m on the 2016 cap. So it should be possible to make long term deals for all 3 of them with some change to spare.

In addition we got Logan Ryan and Malcom Butler on short term contracts.

What do you guys see happening in the offseason realated to the cap situation?

Clearly, we are trying to predict the future. So, I will give some of it a go.

Jerod Mayo cut. The Patriots eat the $4 mil in dead money.

Jabaal Sheard cut. The Patriots eat the $2 mil in dead money. There is a chance that the Patriots aproach him for some cap relief especially in the face of him making the same as full time starter Chandler Jones and making more than full time starter Rob Ninkovich. If he doesn't accept something less, he will be cut. I thought he would be a plug and play guy in a rotation with Ninkovich and Jones. Clearly he is a situational player along side those guys.

Danny Amendola cut. He will be asked again to take less money. Will he? Who knows? If he gives up a some money, he will be here.

I believe Chandler Jones and Donta Hightower will be offered long term deals. When that happens, we will see some immediate cap relief there, as much as $3 mil per player depending on how the deals get structured.

Will any of these things happen? Who knows? But, the cap is clearly an issue for next year.

Clearly, we are trying to predict the future. So, I will give some of it a go.

Jerod Mayo cut. The Patriots eat the $4 mil in dead money.

Jabaal Sheard cut. The Patriots eat the $2 mil in dead money. There is a chance that the Patriots aproach him for some cap relief especially in the face of him making the same as full time starter Chandler Jones and making more than full time starter Rob Ninkovich. If he doesn't accept something less, he will be cut. I thought he would be a plug and play guy in a rotation with Ninkovich and Jones. Clearly he is a situational player along side those guys.

Danny Amendola cut. He will be asked again to take less money. Will he? Who knows? If he gives up a some money, he will be here.

I believe Chandler Jones and Donta Hightower will be offered long term deals. When that happens, we will see some immediate cap relief there, as much as $3 mil per player depending on how the deals get structured.

Will any of these things happen? Who knows? But, the cap is clearly an issue for next year.

Completely disagree on Sheard and Amendola. Sheard before getting hurt was our best DE and having a rotation of those three keeps all of them fresh. Plus he only counts like 2 mill against the cap.

Amendola this year has proven his worth and he already took a pay cut. The cap will also be going up, so don't think there are any issues.

Miguel says we're in pretty good shape so no worries from me

Completely disagree on Sheard and Amendola. Sheard before getting hurt was our best DE and having a rotation of those three keeps all of them fresh. Plus he only counts like 2 mill against the cap.

Amendola this year has proven his worth and he already took a pay cut. The cap will also be going up, so don't think there are any issues.

That's what I think too.

...Sheard before getting hurt was our best DE and having a rotation of those three keeps all of them fresh. Plus he only counts like 2 mill against the cap...

I am not sure if he was the best DE by a long shot. He is a good player to be sure. This year he counts as $4 mil against the cap and next year it is $7 mil against the cap. I don't know where your $2 mil number comes from unless you were looking at the dead money column instead of the cap hit column.

link

...Amendola this year has proven his worth and he already took a pay cut. The cap will also be going up, so don't think there are any issues.

I agree. He has proven himself. I like Amendola...a lot. I just don't believe the Patriots will absorb the $6 mil cap hit (it is actually closer to $7 mil) he is on the books for.

It will be an interesting off-season.

It was reported sometime back that there are more than 20 different players on this team over last years SB winning team. I wouldn't be surprised if there was some roster churn this year as well and some that we would consider good players are let go for financial reasons.

Here's how I see it playing out:

1. Mayo cut (saves 7m)
2. Sheard retained
3. Cannon cut (saves 3.75m)
4. Branch cut (saves 2.4m)
5. Restructures/extensions for any of the following: C. Jones, Hightower, Lafell, Collins, Amendola
6. Possible cuts: Dobson (saves .8m), S. Chandler (saves 2 m), Ninkovich (saves 2m)

Patriots could free up roughly 13 million in cap space without any issues by dumping Mayo, Cannon and Branch. All of whom we already have replacements for who are cheaper, younger and better. They seem to irrationally love Cannon so who knows but I think those three moves are locks to happen.

The next group is possible extensions with Lafell and Amendola being two guys that we could save some cap space on and give them some more long term stability. C. Jones Hightower and Collins will likely take up most or all of any cap space we squeeze out.

Last ones are decent role players that we shouldn't have too much trouble getting by without (especially since they've all been mediocre or missed long stretches of time this year anyways). They are guys that Bill probably would prefer to keep around if possible but not an issue if we need to get some more flexibility.

I imagine we can get about 20 million in cap space without any serious maneuvering or long term cap sacrifices. We are still two years away from being able to deal with McCourtys gross cap hit.

Which sucks, because he may be gone before I can ever have the right circumstances to make a really sweet game time "Hold The Mayo" comment. :coffee:
You make that right now. BB keeps giving him limited snaps.

I am not sure if he was the best DE by a long shot. He is a good player to be sure. This year he counts as $4 mil against the cap and next year it is $7 mil against the cap. I don't know where your $2 mil number comes from unless you were looking at the dead money column instead of the cap hit column.

link

I agree. He has proven himself. I like Amendola...a lot. I just don't believe the Patriots will absorb the $6 mil cap hit (it is actually closer to $7 mil) he is on the books for.

It will be an interesting off-season.

It was reported sometime back that there are more than 20 different players on this team over last years SB winning team. I wouldn't be surprised if there was some roster churn this year as well and some that we would consider good players are let go for financial reasons.

Sheard's a difference maker on that defense, behind only Collins, Hightower and McCourty in my mind. He frees up Chandler Jones and can contain on the edge in a way that Ninkovich cannot.

Patriots played vanilla quite a bit on Monday, and it was a different defense than what we saw the two weeks without him there.

Yeah. Let's get rid of Nink. Grrrrrrrr-eat call there, Tony. :coffee:

If Belichick hadn't given him a $2 million raise in the offseason for no reason, it wouldn't have been the worst suggestion.

Ninkovich has been decent-to-good the last 4, 5 weeks, but his play in the playoffs and in the first month of this season was disturbingly poor to say the least, in total.

Miguel says we're in pretty good shape so no worries from me

Probably a stupid question, but who's Miguel?

We're do doubt in good shape looking at 2016 with everyone covered. We can make som huge FA signings if we want to. 2017 is way more scary, and the comming offseason will be huge looking down the road.

Probably a stupid question, but who's Miguel?

We're do doubt in good shape looking at 2016 with everyone covered. We can make som huge FA signings if we want to. 2017 is way more scary, and the comming offseason will be huge looking down the road.

Miguel's cap page.

http://patscap.com/

Back