The 2021 Tokyo Summer Olympics

The US Basketballers lost to the French?? How does that happen??

The USA's men's basketball team saw their 25-game Olympic winning streak ended as they were stunned 83-76 by France in their Tokyo opener.

Evan Fournier poured in 28 points for the French as the Americans, who have won gold in the past three Games, were beaten for the first time since 2004.
A strong third quarter, where France outscored Gregg Popovich's star-studded team 25-11, proved decisive.
Rudy Gobert was also influential with 14 points and nine rebounds.
It was a disastrous start for Team USA who struggled in their preparation for the tournament, losing warm-up matches to Nigeria and Australia.
They looked to have taken control of the game with an eight-point half-time lead.
But, with Kevin Durant in foul trouble early on, they could not maintain that momentum as a flat third quarter saw them score just 11 points.
Jrue Holiday, with 18 points in just under 28 minutes of action coming off the bench, was a bright spot in their struggles and helped them to a six-point lead in the fourth quarter.
But the Americans missed four open three-point attempts in the final 30 seconds to hand France the advantage and Boston Celtics guard Fournier led them to an impressive victory.
Popovich will now hope his side can respond against Iran on Wednesday, with France taking on the Czech Republic.

They've lost to Nigeria, Australia and now France. They're a mess it seems like.

Not really. They're all stinking-rich, comfortable superstars who would like a Gold Medal for the
trophy case but don't really want it as bad as the other teams do.

I love seeing "want-to" from guys. I also love seeing our BBallers getting embarrassed.

Simone Biles Pulled Out of Gymnastics Team Competition With Apparent Injury​

The superstar gymnast faltered on the vault and left the floor before pulling out of the competition. The situation left the U.S. facing a difficult position in the attempt to win a third straight team gold.​

im-375733

Simone Biles dismounts from the vault during the team final.​

PHOTO: AP
By
Louise Radnofsky
July 27, 2021 7:47 am ET

TOKYO — Simone Biles, the superstar expected to power the U.S. women’s gymnastics team to a third consecutive Olympic title, has pulled out of the competition after completing just one of four rotations.

Biles vaulted third of the American gymnasts, signaling that she planned to complete an Amanar vault—a roundoff handspring onto the vaulting table, followed by two and a half twists in the air.

Instead, she appeared to complete only one and a half twists, landed bending her knees deep and then left the arena, seemingly injured. She briefly reappeared but did not get up for the uneven bars, the second rotation, with her training mate Jordan Chiles taking her place.

Biles’ problems on vault left the U.S. with a heavy deficit to make up even without having to count her out for the remainder of the competition. The U.S. women had already finished behind Russian gymnasts in the qualifying round, and without Biles, would likely have been even further back.

A spokeswoman for USA Gymnastics confirmed that Biles would not compete further in the team final on Tuesday.

I am not intentionally boycotting the Olympics but I just haven't had a moment to tune in.

I don't feel like I am missing anything.... Am I?

I am not intentionally boycotting the Olympics but I just haven't had a moment to tune in.

I don't feel like I am missing anything.... Am I?
We have watched some of the beach volleyball. The mens USA vs Brazil last night was a fantastic game..... other than that we haven't watched much either. We tried to watch some of the surfing and it was so boring I nearly fell asleep lol. They sit for several minutes waiting for a big wave to come so they can make a move..... Not my thing lol.

I really never have cared for the olympics, although if I didn't have to wake up at 5 in the morning to watch, I'd tune in to see Luka Doncic basically put Slovenia on his back game after game.

I have ALWAYS been a huge olympics fan. Sadly, not so much anymore. Too many selfish and woke athletes these days.

I really don't care much for what happens anymore outside of a deep desire to see the US women soccer team get their asses kicked. Far cry from the 2000 game when we were jumping for joy when they won the gold.

Otherwise, the athletes have killed the joy of the olympics.

Edit: Well, this actually made me feel good. I wish there was more like it.

1627399586082.png

Last edited:
I see Biles is nows saying she pulled out due to mental health pressures...She said she wasn't in a good place mentally to compete after facing so much pressure to win...

FFS, this is getting ridiculous with these female athletes.

I see Biles is nows saying she pulled out due to mental health pressures...She said she wasn't in a good place mentally to compete after facing so much pressure to win...

Decisions, decisions. Do I want to help my friends win a gold for my country or maybe I should just be a victim. :shrug-n2:

Imagine how chastised a male athlete would be if he were to pull out due to "too much pressure".

It’s the example it sets that worries me as well. You can imagine a young person taking an important test in school or college and it’s not going well and then trying to walk away because of “mental health issues” and being “under pressure”.

Shall we allow solders on the battlefield to do the same? “Sorry sarge, I can’t take that hill as I feel anxious and under pressure”.

Where does it end??

It’s the example it sets that worries me as well. You can imagine a young person taking an important test in school or college and it’s not going well and then trying to walk away because of “mental health issues” and being “under pressure”.

Shall we allow solders on the battlefield to do the same? “Sorry sarge, I can’t take that hill as I feel anxious and under pressure”.

Where does it end??

As the saying goes... I'm paraphrasing "hard times make strong people. Strong people make good times. Good times makes weak people. Weak people create hard times"

As the saying goes... I'm paraphrasing "hard times make strong people. Strong people make good times. Good times makes weak people. Weak people create hard times"

Indeed, It was the harshness of the depression that created the Greatest Generation. Won the War, created the boom post war but their kids who were then born in prosperous times were weaker and so the cycle moves.

Simone Biles took the spot from another athlete and then quit on her team. Send her home.

Biles:
"Today has been really stressful, we had a workout this morning; it went OK but during that five-and-a-half hour wait I was shaking - I could barely nap. I had never felt like that going into a competition before. I tried to go out here and have fun; the warmup in the back went a little bit better but once I came out here I was like, 'no, mentals [sic] not here so I just need to let the girls do it and focus on myself.’""

This goes to my earlier point about the athletes themselves destroying the Olympics for me. Being so weak mentally (or selfish and weak) is a component of being an athlete. Can flip your body , but can't handle pressure? Don't go to the Olympics.

Somewhere Larry and Michael are shaking their heads...

Last edited:
Simone Biles took the spot from another athlete and then quit of her team. Send her home.

Biles:
"Today has been really stressful, we had a workout this morning; it went OK but during that five-and-a-half hour wait I was shaking - I could barely nap. I had never felt like that going into a competition before. I tried to go out here and have fun; the warmup in the back went a little bit better but once I came out here I was like, 'no, mentals [sic] not here so I just need to let the girls do it and focus on myself.’""

This goes to my earlier point about the athletes themselves destroying the Olympics for me. Being so weak mentally (or selfish and weak) is a component of being an athlete. Can flip your body , but can't handle pressure? Don't go to the Olympics.

Somewhere Larry and Michael are shaking their heads...

The only reason I know of her is because it caught my eye that she had a goat embroidered to her suits, which I thought was a bit arrogant. Now she pulls off this act and it looks even more ridiculous. She basically brought that pressure onto herself, but now she can take her ball and go home because she couldn't deal with it. Without any type of criticism mind you. She's being applauded for quitting on social media. What a shitshow.

All sportspeople get nervous. You read of guys puking their guts up before games. You can imagine the tennis playing men or golfers who play on their own, before a big major. Of a golfer leading on the final day of the Masters. Or a boxer before a huge bout. They'd all be nervous, losing sleep in the build-up, full of self doubt....but they get on with it and turn up and compete.

If you've made the decision to go pro in sports, this goes with the territory. It is not an option to chicken out.

It's so disappointing to see Biles doing this, following Osaka. What kind of role models are they going to be to young girls?? This has to stop.

All sportspeople get nervous. You read of guys puking their guts up before games. You can imagine the tennis playing men or golfers who play on their own, before a big major. Of a golfer leading on the final day of the Masters. Or a boxer before a huge bout. They'd all be nervous, losing sleep in the build-up, full of self doubt....but they get on with it and turn up and compete.

If you've made the decision to go pro in sports, this goes with the territory. It is not an option to chicken out.

It's so disappointing to see Biles doing this, following Osaka. What kind of role models are they going to be to young girls?? This has to stop.

It is truly a cultural swing problem but maybe that's better addressed elsewhere.

Back