The 2023 Mock Draft Thread

I noticed the CBS Sports app added a mock draft section, so I go take a look, and it's depressing.

4 mocks. Zero show a trade from 14. And they show the Patriots taking:
1) WR Quentin Johnson
2) WR Quentin Johnson
3) CB Devon Witherspoon, and
4) WR Quentin Johnson

I don't like the idea of a round 1 WR generally, and while I don't particularly dislike Johnson the player, I don't like him as a fit for this offense/personnel at all.

He does look good in pads, though.

I watched a fair bit of TCU this season and he can look like a world-beater at times and at others he just whiffs on a ball that the top guys
would have had no issues with. Route running and hands will be what he needs to show over the next two months. The Frogs aren't really
an old-school running team like they have been traditionally, but I've got to wonder if he's just a size/speed athlete who is going to need
a lot of polish. I'd guess he's a bit raw for our tastes, but I don't know. I don't think he'll be there at 46 and 14 is too high.

Once a guy's name pops up on a mock then it tends to spread to others, but this is a case of "they need a WR, so why not this guy?". It
happens every single Spring, I swear, and not once in 20 years has anybody ever called it right.

My guess is that we'd be more likely to draft his QB, Max Duggan.

While his arm talent is being questioned, that guy is one of the better leaders of men I've seen in a while. He is a talented runner, is absolutely
as tough as nails and is always focused and intense. His Fiesta Bowl against Michigan was one of those games where he literally carried his team
to a 51-45 win with blood streaming down his face and arm after taking a vicious beating. He was out on his feet and just wouldn't come off the
field. After watching that performance I'm not going to say that he can't play in the NFL. His offense scored a ton of points, so I'm throwing out the
terrible beating Georgia put on them in the FCS. One thing about Max Duggan is he's not going to be afraid of anything in his way. I'm sold.

I can see Belichick looking at him as a diamond in the rough who needs some tinkering and nobody is talking about Hoyer at all. Gotta wonder
if he's hanging them up. If he is, then I can see us spend one of 11 picks on a developmental QB. We do it all the time.

I noticed the CBS Sports app added a mock draft section, so I go take a look, and it's depressing.

4 mocks. Zero show a trade from 14. And they show the Patriots taking:
1) WR Quentin Johnson
2) WR Quentin Johnson
3) CB Devon Witherspoon, and
4) WR Quentin Johnson

I don't like the idea of a round 1 WR generally, and while I don't particularly dislike Johnson the player, I don't like him as a fit for this offense/personnel at all.

I'd draft Addison for the Pats before Johnson.

Football Guys mock

I'm fine with a CB at 14 although I think BB will want to trade back a bit later in the round and pick up another 2nd or 3rd round pick
FpMM4qaWYBo27GM

Football Guys mock

I'm fine with a CB at 14 although I think BB will want to trade back a bit later in the round and pick up another 2nd or 3rd round pick
FpMM4qaWYBo27GM
That's a craptastic scenario for the Patriots, with all 3 of the top OTs going at picks 10, 11, and 13, and 2 of the 3 top tier CBs gone as well - either the last one is the one they want, else they go with a different position or trade down. It would only be worse if one or more of the QBs fell and the last CB and other position players the staff likes were also gone.

Of course, they never have the players rated and tiered the way we think they should, now do they?

PFN mock draft site

pfn-logo-black

14. made 2 trades back to pick up picks. 1st to 26 then to 29 for another pick.
29. OT Dawand Jones, Ohio St.
46. OT Cody Mauch, N. Dakota St.
65. CB Eli Ricks, Bama
76. CB Jaylon Jones, Texas A&M
117. LB Mahamoud Diabate, Utah
135. RB Shaun Tucker, Syracuse
184. DT PJMustifer, Penn St.
187. WR Andrei Iosivas, Princeton
192. WR Ronnie Bell, Mich.
210. P Michael Turk, OK
258. DT Cory Durden, NC St.
+ received Dallas 1st and 3rd picks 2024

This is 85% of the Patriots draft fun. We don't have a f*cking clue what Bill is going to do but we will all watch and after the pick is announced we will turn and look at the person next us and say "WHO?!?! or WHY???????.

Mac selection being the outlier.

Big Vince was a gimmie that year too.

This is 85% of the Patriots draft fun. We don't have a f*cking clue what Bill is going to do but we will all watch and after the pick is announced we will turn and look at the person next us and say "WHO?!?! or WHY???????.

All you need to know about draft experts, is that everyone gave the 2019 draft a near-unanimous "A" at the time, and shat all over last year's draft.

PFN mock draft site

pfn-logo-black

14. made 2 trades back to pick up picks. 1st to 26 then to 29 for another pick.
29. OT Dawand Jones, Ohio St.
46. OT Cody Mauch, N. Dakota St.
65. CB Eli Ricks, Bama
76. CB Jaylon Jones, Texas A&M
117. LB Mahamoud Diabate, Utah
135. RB Shaun Tucker, Syracuse
184. DT PJMustifer, Penn St.
187. WR Andrei Iosivas, Princeton
192. WR Ronnie Bell, Mich.
210. P Michael Turk, OK
258. DT Cory Durden, NC St.
+ received Dallas 1st and 3rd picks 2024
That was played by someone who knows BB's modus operandi but I have removed Ohio State and Clemson off the list for available picks.
Even though those teams are loaded with talent, BB has never selected a player from either school IIRC.

Via PFN:
14. Broderick Jones, OT Georgia
46.Emmanuel Forbes, CB Mississippi State
86. Julius Brents, CB Kansas State
111.Cameron Latu, TE Alabama
117.Byron Young, DT Alabama
135.Tyjae Spears, RB Tulane
184.Jaxson Kirkland, OT/OG Washington
187.Andrei Iosivas, WR Princeton
190.Mohamed Ibrahim, RB Minnesota
192.Cam Jones, LB Indiana
200.Moro Ojomo, DT Texas
231.Jartavius Martin, CB/S, Illinois

And added 2024 TB 4th & 2024 BAL 5th
Wanted to add another IOL and an edge rusher, and maybe an upside TE, but only the IOL presented as a real option, and I couldn't turn down adding Spears as the new James White in training over Scrabble, the OC from Michigan.

Didn't plan on adding a second RB (and the 5th in 3 years!) but there Mo Ibrahim sat, just taunting me.

I love Cam Jones as a coverage LB. And friggin Quan Martin, just refusing to get drafted. If he's falling, he could be an excellent potential DMac replacement.
There was a trade offer the investor in me had a hard time turning down: #14 and #76 to Carolina for #32, #61, and their 2024 1st. But that wouldn't make for a very interesting mock...

There was a trade offer the investor in me had a hard time turning down: #14 and #76 to Carolina for #32, #61, and their 2024 1st. But that wouldn't make for a very interesting mock...

Nike makes that trade in a nanosecond.

Another good mock draft result. Not mine. Seen on twitter

Fp3KMf6WAAMQvVK

You forgot the best part. The Angry BB can’t draft. Everything he does is a failure posts .

Another good mock draft result. Not mine. Seen on twitter

Fp3KMf6WAAMQvVK
I like JSN, but the draft would have to go terribly for me to like the pick there. Dawand Jones at 46 is music, but the chances he'd be there are almost zero, and falling.

This mock is from the 5th best mock drafter over the past 5 NFL drafts according to the Huddle Report.
Ryan McCrystal. I've read his work for years. He's worked for ESPN Stats and Info in the past and this year is working for Warren Sharp's Sharp Football Analysis.
No trades in this one.

I'm just the messenger, people.

I don't profess to know what BB will do in this draft specifically, other than there's a high probability he trades back, but if BB makes this pick with the plethora of
OTs,
CBs and
WRs
who are right there for the taking, I'll feel like I've wasted the last 25 years of my BB/NFL fandom watching him manipulate the draft in his favor.

Could this guy be right? Now he's got me questioning myself.

His reasoning:

14. New England Patriots, Top Draft Pick Prediction: Brian Branch, S, Alabama​

"Best Draft Targets for the Patriots with the 14th pick:

Safety: Devin McCourty is a free agent and, even if he returns, he’ll be 36 years old in August and it’s time to start considering life without him. Alabama’s Brian Branch and Texas A&M’s Antonio Johnson are the most likely first-round safeties in this class.
Offensive Line: This unit underperformed last year and has a few key players set to hit free agency, most notably former first-round pick Isaiah Wynn. The top prospects may be off the board already, but if someone such as Paris Johnson or Broderick Jones were to unexpectedly fall, New England may be a landing spot.

Who calls the shots in the Patriots’ draft room?

Head coach Bill Belichick (23rd year) has final say over personnel decisions. Matt Groh was promoted to director of player personnel last offseason after one season as the Patriots’ director of college scouting. Aside from Belichick, this remains a relatively inexperienced front office due to the recent losses of Nick Casserio (Texans) and Dave Ziegler (Raiders).

Key Stats & Notes for the Patriots heading into the 2023 NFL Draft

Mac Jones had a boom-bust ratio of 1.0, ranked 38th out of 41 qualified quarterbacks (boom-bust ratio: plays with +1 EPA or higher compared to plays of -1 EPA or worse)
Trent Brown allowed a 6.3% pressure rate when lined up at left tackle, ranked 28th out of 35 players with at least 200 pass protection snaps at left tackle
Contacted opposing running backs in the backfield on 19% of carries (ranked 30th)"

That trade is absolutely insane.they game you the #32 overall to make up for the gap between 3 picks up in the first and 3 picks down in the second?

I almost gave up on these pseudo-mocks with some of the trades they were offering. Then I gave up on them entirely when I ran one and saw Jalen Carter had fallen to me at #14.

Back