The 2024 Draft

Yeah they didn't but they also didn't lose any which they would have trading up.
You: "Wolf stated he wanted more picks."

They get no more picks.

You: "At least the didn't lose any!"

Come the fuck on. Eliot Wolf has said a lot of things, and the more he says, the less and less likely I am inclined to believe what he's saying.

Some thought was behind these 2 picks. Check out their route success charts below and you'll see right away that where 1 is deficient the other excels.
They complement each other from a skill-set and deployment perspective - Baker at X and Polk at flanker fits their skill set perfectly.

GMMF0sOawAATunp

GMMF0sKbYAATHRy

You: "Wolf stated he wanted more picks."

They get no more picks.

You: "At least the didn't lose any!"

Come the fuck on. Eliot Wolf has said a lot of things, and the more he says, the less and less likely I am inclined to believe what he's saying.

I see it more leniently than you. It takes 2 parties to make a trade. Maybe he didn't find a trade back he liked?

I see it more leniently than you. It takes 2 parties to make a trade. Maybe he didn't find a trade back he liked?
What's a bigger need? A starting left tackle, or a 3rd round pick?

How many times are we going to hear "We tried to make a trade, we were close, it just didn't work out" before it starts to sound like a company PR line?

Give me OT Walter Rouse or oddly oversized safety/chess piece James Williams. Though I'd feel better about Belichick using Williams.

For Tommy

Rookie defacto GM Eliot Wolf may have been played by the other more experienced GMs throughout the league.

They are sitting at #34, the 2nd pick on Day 2 of the draft. Their overwhelming desire to trade back, trying to get more draft capital, failed miserably. They did trade back and only lost 3 draft spots, going from #34 to #37 by trading with the Los Angeles Chargers. The Chargers took uncoverable WR Ladd McConkey. The Trade didn’t net them any additional draft picks, only a bump up from 5th round #137 to 4th Round #110. According to the Jimmy Johnson Trade Value Chart, the Patriots made out just slightly better, but in reality, they were the big losers. Remember McConkey’s name as he becomes the Offensive Rookie of the Year catching passes from Justin Herbert.

Wolf and the Patriots nearly 30 people that were in the Draft Room, took Washington WR Ja’Lynn Polk with the #37. Polk, who runs a slow 4.52 40-yard dash, has the reputation of making the tough contested catch, but that is because he can’t get separation from DBs. If he can’t do that in college, how do you think he will do against better DBs in the pros? We have just replaced DeVante Parker with DeVante Parker. Patriots WR coach Tyler Hughes must have been banging the table to take his guy early, because he didn’t think he would last the entire 2nd round. Hughes was Washington’s Offensive QC Analyst coach last year. He had significant insight into Polk as a person, not only as a player. I have to believe Wolf and the brain trust had McConkey going later in the round and didn’t expect LA to take him.

Hindsight, or a true evaluation of the draft three years down the line will determine if they made a major mistake or not, but the initial reaction the Patriots 2nd day of the draft is very poor. It appears they didn’t address their biggest need and that was at Left Tackle. If they didn’t land McConkey, they should have addressed their Left Tackle deficiency. Chukwu Okorafor is an unknown, playing at Left Tackle. The Patriots didn’t pivot and trade up when they saw the run for OTs, particularly Left Tackles. I have read very good things about Caedan Wallace and have read that the Patriots coaches were enamored with him. Nobody expected him to be drafted at the top of Round 3. There was an unprecedented run for Offensive Linemen, with 25 taken in the first three rounds, the most in the history of the draft. Wallace, in an interview after his selection, stated he was “super confident” he could play Left Tackle and anywhere up and down the line.

By not making a trade where the team acquired more draft capital or they were unwilling to use their other draft picks to trade up, the GM failed to adjust to the run for Left Tackles. Kansas City was able to adjust and make a trade to leap ahead of the Patriots and take Kingsley Suamataia OT BYU. Suamataia had been linked to the Patriots for weeks.

The Packer Way

So far, Eliot Wolf’s first solo draft has been far from the Packer Way professed by his father Hall of Fame GM Ron Wolf. This has strictly been a need-based draft. However, I think they read the draft incorrectly and didn’t address their primary need, which should have been Left Tackle. If they were strictly going the Packer Way, they would have taken Cooper Dejean CB Iowa at #37. Pro Football Focus had him rated as their #8 overall player.

Ja’Lynn Polk and Caedan Wallace may turn out to be terrific players. I will have egg on my face, but I would gladly trade that embarrassment so that the individual players succeed and the team gets back to being competitive. I was wrong about Christian Barmore, who I thought was lazy on the video and games I saw him play. He is anything but lazy, and I hope he re-signs a rumored contract extension.
Who wrote this?

TE, RB, S, CB, K, DE, LB, DT?
I'm going to guess either a guard they project to tackle, or another Kendrick Bourne clone.

CB Marcellas Dial. Faster than all but 1 of the Patriots receivers. :coffee: There were potentially better corners on the board, but at this point, it's about special teams and depth.

I'm going to guess either a guard they project to tackle, or another Kendrick Bourne clone.

CB Marcellas Dial. Faster than all but 1 of the Patriots receivers. :coffee: There were potentially better corners on the board, but at this point, it's about special teams and depth.
Dial is actually a neat pick. He popped even last year (when I was living in SC part time) when the other CBs were Darius Rush and Cam Smith. Dial is sneaky good.

Here’s what new draft pick Javon Baker said after being selected by the New England Patriots on Saturday.

On his initial reactions on Instagram about it taking so long for him to be picked, and his mentality after waiting two days to be drafted:

“It’s just … it’s just this mentality to just kill whoever on the other side of me. That’s really my mentality. That’s it.”

On what he can tell Patriots fans about his game:

“Just come to the home stadium and bring ya’ll popcorn. That’s all I can tell you y’all. Bring your popcorn. I make people in wheelchairs stand up. Bring your popcorn.”

On his first impressions of Drake Maye:

“Honestly, people don’t know this, but when Drake Maye was committed to Bama at first, we always used to practice and throw it around. So me and Drake Maye got a connection going on. So Drake Maye is probably, really, I think, in my opinion, the best quarterback in this draft. So when we connect, again, it’s going to be a good connection.”

On what he remembers from those throwing sessions:

“Competitive and trying to get the ball, like, whatever spots I asked him to put it at, he’ll put it there. So he’ll be just competitive. A competitive quarterback, and that’s what I like in a quarterback. And somebody that can push me, and I’ll push him.”

On what he thinks of when he thinks of the Patriots:

“Honestly, just being a part of that organization, I know it’s a winning mentality organization. Just like how it was at ‘Bama. Just winning. Everybody liked winning. It wouldn’t be a better opportunity and a better place to go to than this place. So I just can’t wait.”

On if he reached out to Drake Maye after he was drafted:

“I didn’t reach out to him when he got drafted, but as soon as I got drafted, he reached out to me. He just told me, congrats, and let’s get to work. J. P, Ja’Lynn Polk, who’s working out this whole offseason, this whole process, so we got a connection going on, too. Just them, us three, alone is just going to bring back the winning mentality that everybody likes in Boston.”

On his connection and if he feels that the Patriots were a good place to land as Ja’Lynn Polk is someone else he knows:

“Like I said earlier, it’s a perfect opportunity. I just can’t wait to put on that uniform.”

On if he has a chip on his shoulder based off his background and transferring to UCF:

“Honestly, it’s going to always be a chip on my shoulder, no matter what. I’m self-driven, so I know how it feels to be behind somebody. I know how it feels to be at bottom of the depth chart. So, I’m always having a chip on my shoulder, regardless.”

On what he’s hoping to prove with the Patriots:

“Prove them everything. Prove them what I can do. Prove them I could do everything. As a receiver, I would do anything to win. Just prove them that,. Honestly, I’m a team player, and I want to prove to the team that I’m one of them guys. So, that’s what I want to do.”

On how he’s said with Steve Smith that when the ball is in his hands, he can change the game:

“My mentality. I’m a receiver. I don’t know nothing but receiving the ball. I don’t care if the ball is thrown out of bounds in the sideline, I’m going to receive the ball. So at the end of the day, that right there, my mentality is just different from any other receiver. I can get down and dirty, I can do anything. So that right there, my mentality alone can just do everything as a receiver. Just my mentality, honestly.”

On where played in college and if he feels like he can be a guy who can line up on the backside and win one-on-one in coverage:

“Yes, sir. I could be anything. Honestly, whatever Coach Mayo want me to be, I could be. It’s just that right there. I could be X, Y, Z, or H, it doesn’t matter to me.”

On what allowed him to thrive in those match-ups:

“Honestly, my mentality. My mentality when I line up against that corner. I know it’s game over.”

On his relationship with Cam Newton and what he told him about New England:

“Yeah, my relationship with Cam Newton is like a big brother relationship. Before the draft, we were just talking and he was just telling me just to keep I got my head down and keep working. I talked to him about Boston. I was just telling him because when I was there on a visit, I was talking to a lot of people about Cam and it was just a lot of good things saying about Cam. I was just telling him, relaying a message and stuff like that. We were just laughing about it, but that’s really it.”
“Just come to the home stadium and bring ya’ll popcorn. That’s all I can tell you y’all. Bring your popcorn. I make people in wheelchairs stand up. Bring your popcorn“ Javon Baker

IMG_5398.gif

Dial seems like a great pick at this spot, but Milton has me scratching my head.

Back