The 2024 Draft

Lazar discussed his two pro days on his Patriots.com podcast.

According to EL, Alonzo Highsmith was the most popular person there. Talked up everyone. It was if he knew the players from prior recruiting.

Also, IMO, it seems pro days can be misleading. All the heavy breathers are there and can drive a decision on a non football event. Might be how Zack Wilson went high
heavy breathers?

does he mean owners?

Lazar discussed his two pro days on his Patriots.com podcast.

According to EL, Alonzo Highsmith was the most popular person there. Talked up everyone. It was if he knew the players from prior recruiting.

Also, IMO, it seems pro days can be misleading. All the heavy breathers are there and can drive a decision on a non football event. Might be how Zack Wilson went high.

I'm listening to it right now, with Barth and Lazar. Lazar, who was at both Pro Days, was much more impressed with Maye's throwing, not only because of his arm, but because of how much more difficult the script was.

He does keep saying that he thinks either guy can make it in the league.

Interestingly, he has said the most impressive guy he saw on either day was Nabers.

So you can be proven right? You may need help, bud.
LOL I AM right. I don't need to be proven right when it's already done. They had a golden opportunity to sit in the top seat of the house and just HAD to win those 2 worthless games. I am not much of a fan of luck, I'd rather make my own way. So, maybe Maye if he is a future HoFer falls to the Pats at 3. Great, I really hope that happens. That would be luck, and thats a terrible way to go about life however. And you don't burn assets as I have stated before as a reward for screwing up when you had a chance to do the right thing for the future.

LOL I AM right. I don't need to be proven right when it's already done. They had a golden opportunity to sit in the top seat of the house and just HAD to win those 2 worthless games. I am not much of a fan of luck, I'd rather make my own way. So, maybe Maye if he is a future HoFer falls to the Pats at 3. Great, I really hope that happens. That would be luck, and thats a terrible way to go about life however. And you don't burn assets as I have stated before as a reward for screwing up when you had a chance to do the right thing for the future.
I’m still looking forward to the day when you actually tell Patriot players to take a dive and then watch their reaction.

If it takes a trade up to ensure Maye is a Patriot then I’m all for it. Good QBs are worth it, and if he’s got a chance to be a better version of Josh Allen then he’s worth a lot. Having a QB like that means you’re in the mix every year even with a bad team.
That said I’d certainly rather have Maye for the next 12 years than that win against the Steelers last season.

Lazar at UNC for Maye's Pro Day.

After watching him hit go-to receiver Tez Walker in stride on a 65-yard bomb, my immediate thought was, "How do the Commanders pass on this guy at No. 2 overall?" Washington, who controls the Patriots destiny in this draft, could fall in love with Daniels' dual-threat ability. But when it comes to who has more clubs in their bag, there's no question that Maye brings a much bigger repertoire of throws to the table as a pure passer.

I have had some very similar thoughts.

I've been reading stuff for weeks/months that states that Maye is the most pro-ready of the big 3 despite his limited experience in College. I don't buy the
"high floor low ceiling" tag placed on him a bit. He's 21 for fuck sake. What could he be by the time he's 25?

I have to wonder if TommyD's comparison for Daniels of RGIII isn't a good one and reflects how he could be viewed in the Commander's war room. They could
decide that they have no interest in trying to sell that sequel to their rabid fanbase, despite dozens of different reports that they would love to have him.

I've got my fingers crossed already. If it comes down to Daniels or a trade down then I think I'd listen to all offers carefully. If Maye is there then
I'm not doing that. I find Daniels to be a hard evaluation and am afraid he will have a long percolation until he is ready to start in the big leagues. I don't
hate the kid and think he has a chance, but I don't love him for our situation. If I can't have Maye, than I might trade down and roll the dice on Penix and use a
2nd first rounder on a better OT prospect than we could've gotten at 34 to salve the wound of missing out on Drake.

Based on Penix's fit into the Van Pelt system, which is pretty good, I wouldn't be shocked if that is already our backup plan.

I have had some very similar thoughts.

I've been reading stuff for weeks/months that states that Maye is the most pro-ready of the big 3 despite his limited experience in College. I don't buy the
"high floor low ceiling" tag placed on him a bit. He's 21 for fuck sake. What could he be by the time he's 25?

I have to wonder if TommyD's comparison for Daniels of RGIII isn't a good one and reflects how he could be viewed in the Commander's war room. They could
decide that they have no interest in trying to sell that sequel to their rabid fanbase, despite dozens of different reports that they would love to have him.

I've got my fingers crossed already. If it comes down to Daniels or a trade down then I think I'd listen to all offers carefully. If Maye is there then
I'm not doing that. I find Daniels to be a hard evaluation and am afraid he will have a long percolation until he is ready to start in the big leagues. I don't
hate the kid and think he has a chance, but I don't love him for our situation. If I can't have Maye, than I might trade down and roll the dice on Penix and use a
2nd first rounder on a better OT prospect than we could've gotten at 34 to salve the wound of missing out on Drake.

Based on Penix's fit into the Van Pelt system, which is pretty good, I wouldn't be shocked if that is already our backup plan.
it will be funny to look back on this thread in a year or two (or three) but I also feel like if Maye is there you take him, and if it is Daniels you trade out for more picks and fill more needs.
may end up being way off on this, but that is just what I'm feelin' now.

Trading up would be the 2nd pick this year and 1st next year most likely.

No thank you.
That’s fine by me. QBs like Allen, Herbert, Burrow, Mahomes, Rodgers, hell I’ll throw in Stroud. He looks incredible. If Stafford is healthy I’ll put him in that group. These guys can throw, don’t rely on their legs, and will have their teams in the mix every year. I think Maye is gonna be in that group, so yeah. He’s worth 2 first rounders if that’s what it takes.

Things I have heard about a couple of the QBs,,
On Penix, loved him as a college QB, nice to see the capability to throw darts, and down the field throws, but understand that he’s very good at the pre snap read, which correlates to not reading the post snap options. He is not good at throwing to the middle of the field and per Breer, Michigan dared him to throw to the middle of the field and he couldn’t take it. I could see a team with an old QB picking up Penix and let him sit a while. Will Penix be able to change his ways after his years at the college level?

On Maye, multiple college football fans from the North Carolina region have called into Patriots Unfiltered radio show and have said that the Pats shouldn’t be interested. Sounds like a case of Maye making mistakes at the wrong time. Don’t really know.
Who is the better evaluator, the casual everyday fan or professionals?

That’s fine by me. QBs like Allen, Herbert, Burrow, Mahomes, Rodgers, hell I’ll throw in Stroud. He looks incredible. If Stafford is healthy I’ll put him in that group. These guys can throw, don’t rely on their legs, and will have their teams in the mix every year. I think Maye is gonna be in that group, so yeah. He’s worth 2 first rounders if that’s what it takes.
That would be a horrible decision. It's screwed the Panthers. They gave the Bears #1 pick. We aren't a QB away from being contenders.
If they don't like Daniels .Take the Vikings trade offer . To get more assets to build this team. We still have big needs at WR's, TE & Tackle

Last edited:
it will be funny to look back on this thread in a year or two (or three) but I also feel like if Maye is there you take him, and if it is Daniels you trade out for more picks and fill more needs.
may end up being way off on this, but that is just what I'm feelin' now.

I enjoy looking back on the "consensus" opinions after the fact and my own as well, just to see the hits and misses.

Last year at this time C.J. Stroud was a dope who flunked the Wonderlic badly and came from a school that is famous for bust QBs. Well, with the
benefit of hindsight he should have been the No. 1. There are hundreds of examples. In 2022, Brock Purdy was 262 overall and has been the best
QB of that draft. Does this mean that Kedon Slovis is going to be the best this year? No, maybe and who knows? A lot of scouts were
drooling for Zach Wilson in '21, but his value is now less than FTX crypto. Him, Trey Lance, Mac Jones and Justin Fields were 1st rounders and not
a one is still with the team that took them.

Any frigging thing can happen. I should have learned by now to keep my mouth shut, but I'm not smart enough and keep imagining I know what
I'm talking about, but it's too much fun to try and sort it all out even if Drake Maye or whoever we end up with can't play.

We were great and then we sucked and lost Tom and Bill got fired and we had to watch all the garbage on The Dynasty knowing that 9 of 10 people
that watch it will probably think it is fair and balanced. Our beloved owner is now acting like a dick. We have a new coach with zero track record, no
QBs or WRs and no hope of competing against the teams we used to consistently stomp. The rest of the world loves seeing us humbled and still hates
us. It all looks pretty gloomy and our cocky attitudes are total history, but a month from now we could have a couple of days where things seem to go
exactly how they should and we might end up feeling like the worm has definitely turned and.....it'll be just like Andy Dufresne said.

aaaaa.jpg

Many of us were all in on Mac Jones but we totally missed that he lacked the courage to stand up to pressure and that that would be his downfall. But, hey, he checked
a lot of boxes, right? Unfortunately, we missed "mama's boy" was also checked. As a result, I'm reluctant to come out with a strong opinion on these QBs because of what I don't know
about these guys behind the scenes. So I'll be happy with whomever the Pats select at 3 and I'll hope their pick turns out well, figuring they know a lot more about them than
I ever could. The Pats are currently 4th in the AFCE and have a long way to go to be relevant. But I have hope that the Bills and Dolphins took a step back this offseason because
of cap issues and the Jets, despite appearing to go all in with their splashy off season signings and Aaron Rodgers healthy, will be the SOJ. However things turn out, I've accepted
that I'll enjoy the ride until I can't take it anymore, realizing my expectations have been lowered many notches by our newly hateful & stingy owners who have decided to lay waste
to everything that gave me immense joy the last 20 years. Kraft took his shot with The Dynasty which has backfired badly and in doing so put himself squarely in Bill's sights. Yes, I am anxiously awaiting Bill's book to set the record straight and prove that my last 25 years of fandom were not wasted.

Mike Lombardi talked about who’s REALLY running the Patriots on his podcast, @GMShuffle.

“As a fan, Robert’s hoping they draft a QB. He knows what they’re doing. As Shaughnessy said, EVERYONE knows Jonathan Kraft is the defacto General Manager.”

This is why I'm worried.

It was always obvious what Mac was. It’s just as obvious what Maye is. All you gave to do is listen to them do a 5 minute interview. You don’t even have to watch the film.
I called Mac from the beginning.

Back