The 2024 Draft

Offensive tackle Kingsley Suamataia (BYU) and wide receiver Javon Baker (UCF) are the first reported visits scheduled.

Count me as 1 of them. We'll get another shot at 1 next year whether this 1 pans out or not.

One problem might be that the QB crop for next year is supposedly not close to as good as this one. Of course, that is
subject to a complete revision, but if scouts are skeptical about 2025 then it might put some spin on our pans for April.

I don't want to wait forever, nor do I want to try to convince myself that Nathan Rourke is our secret weapon. I'd be happier
to land Drake Maye right now, and start working with him than to wait one (eternity) year to see if Carson Beck or Quinn Ewers
start getting people's hopes up.

I've seen both of them and thought Maye's '22 season was way better than their '23s. That is the thing that I hang on to. He
showed all the traits a pro QB needs and his '23, though not as good, was still impressive. There are far more OTs and WRs in this
draft and we can get some good ones by waiting, but I want Drake Maye at 3 if the Commanders don't take him.

Still, I'll probably watch Daniels' pro day and can't wait to see all the ripple effects and chatter it will generate. It's a crazy
thing to be in such a momentous position and have so much hinge on getting it right. My biggest doubt about him is not
his frame, but rather how advantageous it was for him to be throwing to such great skill guys. I have come to believe that
is why Mac Jones had such a great final season at 'Bama and I can't stomach the thought of Groundhog Day for the Patriots
only in brutal 3-year rotations.

Maye is still the answer to the equation.

Here is the thing that has me concerned about both Maye and Williams. In 22 they both had very good OL and good receivers. In 23 both the OL and receivers took a step back from 22.
Each one developed happy feet. In Williams case he not only had happy feet but showed that he was not mentally tough.
I like Daniels better. Yes he did have a couple of great receivers. But LSU’s OL was not very good.

Is Matt Groh gone after the draft?
Being replaced by Highsmith.

They must have been all underclassmen as there isn't an LSU OL prospect in the top 100. Their DL was very good.

Both Tackles will be juniors for the '24 season, started as true Freshman in '22, both guards are returning...the only Offensive Lineman they are losing to the draft is the Center.

and no, I certainly didn't know this, just got curious and started looking into it.

Both Tackles will be juniors for the '24 season, started as true Freshman in '22, both guards are returning...the only Offensive Lineman they are losing to the draft is the Center.

and no, I certainly didn't know this, just got curious and started looking into it.

It's unusual to see just about all the OL returning from a competitive SEC team.
They are usually have good depth at WR and RB. LSU should be very good on offense this year.

One problem might be that the QB crop for next year is supposedly not close to as good as this one. Of course, that is
subject to a complete revision, but if scouts are skeptical about 2025 then it might put some spin on our pans for April.

Maye is still the answer to the equation.

I think so, too, but I'd still take Jayden Daniels if Maye is gone at 2. Coach him up and maybe he's great. If he's not "the one", we're predicted to have the 1st or 2nd pick in 2025 to have
another go at it. I won't overthink this. Makes too much sense.

All our bigwigs were here. HC, GM, OC, QB coach, WR coach.

View: https://twitter.com/JimNagy_SB/status/1773079721506374067

Last edited:
I think so, too, but I'd still take Jayden Daniels if Maye is gone at 2. Coach him up and maybe he's great. If he's not "the one", we're predicted to have the 1st or 2nd pick in 2025 to have

I agree, it's a toss up for me between Maye and Daniels. Maye does have his flaws. So if Maye is gone, we have to take Daniels at 3.

UNLESS, a team makes us an offer we just cannot refuse.

View: https://twitter.com/SavageSports_/status/1773064667478306985

From Lazar

As a substantial decision looms for the Patriots with the third overall draft pick next month, New England sent nine staffers to evaluate quarterback Jayden Daniels and his top receivers Malik Nabers and Brian Thomas Jr. in their showcase at LSU's indoor practice facility in Baton Rouge.

With head coach Jerod Mayo and director of scouting Eliot Wolf leading the charge, the Patriots were well represented with Matt Groh, Alonzo Highsmith, Patrick Stewart, Camren Williams, Alex Van Pelt, Ben McAdoo, and T.C. McCartney in attendance. Daniels confirmed reports that he'll meet privately with the Patriots brass on Wednesday night, opting to keep his Tuesday night schedule clear to focus on his Pro Day.

The Patriots scouting contingent also met with projected top-10 pick Malik Nabers, who dazzled in his Pro Day workout. Nabers ran an official 4.35-second 40-yard dash with a 42-inch vertical as the explosive wideout lived up to the first-round hype.

Here are my thoughts on Daniels's performance and more from a trip to LSU's Pro Day:

Thoughts on QB Jayden Daniels's Workout

Daniels officially weighed in at 6-foot-3, 210 pounds after opting out of measurements at the combine back in February.

The reigning Heisman Trophy winner didn't do any athletic testing in the pre-draft process as one of the most dynamic runners to enter the draft in years. Daniels's weight is likely inflated slightly from his playing weight last season, which many thought hovered around the 195-pound mark. Still, his lean, athletic physique could easily carry more weight as he bulks up in an NFL strength and conditioning program.

From a body type standpoint, Daniels looks like an NBA star as a long, trimmed athlete who will add more muscle now that he's turning pro. According to LSU head coach Brian Kelly, the number one question for teams pertains to Daniels's durability and reckless running style.

"Will he slide?" Kelly joked when asked about the NFL team's concerns with Daniels at the next level. The LSU head coach said questions seldom steer toward Daniels's ability to make throws or process defenses. Instead, it's all about self-preservation, and weighing in at 210 pounds will help quell some concerns.

The other noticeable intangible quality to Daniels's profile is how well he interacted with teammates on Wednesday. Whether it was somewhat performative or not, Daniels was highly engaged while sitting out the athletic testing portion to support his teammates. For what it's worth, it looked genuine, especially when he ran down to the other end of the field to celebrate with Nabers after his go-to receiver ran his 40-yard dash. There's a lot of love between Daniels, Nabers, and Thomas Jr. that has been palpable throughout the pre-draft process.

Furthermore, rather than wearing his own number, Daniels wore the No. 3 for teammate Greg Brooks Jr., who was diagnosed with cancer last season. Daniels seems like a high-character individual, with LSU staffers praising his humbleness and sense of humor.

As for his throwing session, Daniels threw for 20-plus minutes to all three levels of the field. He started with short and intermediate throws with five and ten-yard outs, hitches, seams, crossers, corners, and passes into the flats. He took drop-backs from under center to flex those muscles and then finished the workout by airing it out to Nabers and Thomas Jr.

Overall, there were more missed throws than you'd expect for a Pro Day from Daniels, who had five incompletions during the session where he overthrew his intended target. Mainly, he had two misses to the left sideline, which seemed like he was trying to show off his arm strength a little too much. With that said, there wasn't any reason to overreact to the workout.

Daniels's smooth, effortless throwing motion and compact release generate velocity when he drives the ball downfield. His upper body is extremely flexible, producing power with a torquing motion, which allows him to zip the ball around from different arm angles. With his natural throwing motion, Daniels can easily get the ball where it needs to go.

The throw from Daniels's session that made me say "wow" was on a corner-post route. He rolled to his right and put the ball perfectly on the sideline, roughly 40 yards downfield. It wasn't "the Pro Day throw," where he rolls to his left and throws back right. But it was still one of those passes that produced an audible sound out of this scribe's mouth.

Along with his frame, my other concern on film was whether Daniels could drive the ball outside into NFL-sized windows. After watching him throw up close, I realized that he has such a loose arm that Daniels should have more than adequate velocity when you combine his skill as a passer with the rest of the playmaking ability he'll bring to the table.

Daniels has the physical tools and swagger of a franchise quarterback who would be a homerun selection for the Patriots at the top of the draft

Is WR Malik Nabers a Real Possibility for the Patriots?

With all eyes on the quarterback class, the Patriots also did their due diligence by conducting a lengthy meeting with Nabers, per reports.

Nabers, who was electric on Wednesday, would make sense for the Patriots in a trade-down scenario where they accumulate picks and draft the best offensive player available. After posting a 4.35-second 40-yard dash with a 42-inch vertical jump, Nabers displayed elite speed and dynamic route-running ability during the on-field workouts.
Last spring, I attended Boston College's Pro Day to take in Zay Flowers's workout, a draft crush of mine in 2023. I love Zay, and he had a good rookie year in Baltimore, but Nabers was on a different level. Nabers looks like he's constantly running downhill with an aggressiveness to chase down the ball wherever the landmark is on the field. He was ridiculously explosive.
However, it's hard to envision a world where Nabers ends up on the Patriots. Sure, they could trade down slightly, let's say with the Giants at No. 6, to hand New York a quarterback while the Pats select Nabers at six with an added warchest of picks. But that's a long and windy road back to contention.
There's also no hope of pulling a Houston Texas to pair Daniels with Nabers in the NFL. Remember, Houston had two first-round picks, trading up from No. 12 to No. 3 last year. The Patriots would be trading up from No. 34 to the top 10 to select Nabers – it's not happening.
Although it's also unlikely, Thomas Jr. could be a trade-up target if he slides into the late first round. BTJ wasn't as impressive as Nabers, but he's a bigger wideout with similar long speed. He also made arguably the best catch of the day with a fingertip grab on a go route.
The LSU receiver duo lived up to the hype with Nabers being a top-10 lock and Thomas Jr. a sure-fire first-rounder. My lord was Nabers good. Sorry, not sorry for the gushing. As fun as it would be to draft the QB and his top receiver in college, it's a pipe dream for New England.
Other Standouts From LSU's Highly-Attended Pro Day
For all 32 NFL teams and 120-plus credentialed media, Daniels and his first-round receivers were the main event at LSU on Wednesday. However, there were a slew of other participants.
The two players who also stood out from this perspective were DT Jordan Jefferson and LB Omar Speights. Jefferson, a projected day-three pick, ran an official 5.10 40-yard dash at 6-3, 316 pounds. Jefferson is a play disruptor who fires off the ball into the backfield to throw off the timing of run plays and make splash plays in the backfield.
As for Speights, many project him as a late day-three or even undrafted free agent target. However, at 225 pounds, Speights moved well during positional drills in coverage. He has the thickness of a modern linebacker with the movement skills of a safety – a Pats-like hybrid.
Like always, LSU had plenty of NFL-caliber talent to showcase with 14 participants in their Pro Day. Jefferson, Speights, and fellow DL Maason Smith were among the other standouts.

Next on the Pro Day Tour: North Carolina
After meeting with Daniels following his Pro Day, the Patriots brass will travel roughly 900 miles northeast to Chapel Hill, North Carolina, and we'll follow them there as well.
The Patriots football ops and Patriots.com are heading to the University of North Carolina for quarterback Drake Maye's Pro Day on Thursday. It'll be great to compare these two quarterbacks side-by-side, with Maye expected to dazzle scouts in his throwing session.
We'll have full coverage from Chapel Hill on Patriots.com, with Maye expected to throw around 3 p.m. ET.

I love how everyone just accepts Jayden Daniels is 210 from his Pro Day - and ignores the possibility that he just had bricks in his pockets. Because that's certainly never happened before in a pro day. Just like running those 40s downhill.

I agree, it's a toss up for me between Maye and Daniels. Maye does have his flaws. So if Maye is gone, we have to take Daniels at 3.

UNLESS, a team makes us an offer we just cannot refuse.

The more I look at Maye the more convinced I am that he is for real or will be with just a little guidance and percolating.

I see a guy who has that thing that good QBs have -- the ability to see vectors or whatever you call it opening and closing and
being able to solve the equation and react to it. That same thing happens in all forms of sport and Maye, though he is young and
sometimes reckless, sees the field well and seems to have an instinct for keeping a D off-balance with the run-pass thing, which this
team hasn't had since before Steve Grogan started wearing a neck roll. His ability to draw a defender in his direction with a run fake and
hitting a guy right behind him is Mahomesish, although unpolished. He doesn't have to think about it, either. The kid is a natural.

He's not a purebred Portugese Water Dog at the Westminster Kennel Cub, but he has a good athletic pedigree, FWIW. His Dad was a pro
QB and I think it shows. Maye seems to keep his cool when the pressure is on and he's physically built for the pro game better than any QB
in this draft not named Joe Milton II and that is a pretty big deal.

Not only is he a really good athlete who can juke a dude hard and cut but he's capable of pushing the pile on the sneak -- which was a problem
with our last franchise QB. He's got excellent height, a solid, fit frame and fine speed and seems to make mostly smart choices when to push a run
downfield, which he is really good at and when to slide. He's got spatial awareness and good, though imperfect vision. He's pretty damn good
at seeing a hole in coverage and either running or throwing at it. He's a puppy still, but a smart one who is trainable.

I think the kid is smart, although he's made his share of boneheaded turnovers from over-aggressiveness. He's getting killed for that in some
corners, but it's a fact that if you want to make an omelette you have to crack a few eggs and Mahomes and Josh Allen have that same issue, but
they both put a lot of biscuits in the basket and win a lot of football games. Maye isn't a bad "game manager" but he isn't ever going to be limited by
that description.

He throws off balance more than you'd like to see, but he also makes a lot of big plays when he isn't in a carefully curated enviornment. His footwork allegedly needs
improvement, but he's got a strong enough core to complete passes without proper kinesiology, such as the well-known "run to your left and then
throw accurately downfield across your body" that Mac Jones was simply useless at. His arm is excellent at everything that I've seen him try but
NC doesn't run a lot of screens, I'd say. That's a bit of an unknown, but the lad can drive the ball with accuracy and pace into small windows with
anticipation that is somewhere between good to excellent. And he's got some growing to do. He's going to be a better pro than college QB, is my guess,
as long as he can be given a relatively stable system to grow into.

I am really glad that Jayden Daniels is so damn fast and fits the current prototype so well, because I believe the Commanders won't be able to resist and
Drake Maye will be our guy. And some day we will look back and celebrate that fortunate occurance.

It's time for me to state my case and declare my binkie. After spending some time looking at everything I've decided that it is definitely Drake Maye and I
don't care if he shits himself at his pro day or starts licking windows at his official visit -- he is going to be absolutely huge for this team and it's future.

If anybody has any specific issues with his game they'd like to hash over, debate or whatever then I'd welcome the challenge. This is too important a move
to have my head fogged in by a goofy man crush, but I think I'm seeing him for what he really is. We should want this guy instead of trading down. He's
simply too good to pass up or it will come back to haunt us.

Back