The Golf thread

Can’t say I haven’t done that many times.
golfed the other day and it was my chipping\short game that did me in. Only three putted twice in 18 holes, other wise, mostly 2 putted. Driving and mid range was decent (for me anyway). I would need to chip up and either blow it way over the other side of the green, or hit it correctly but come up way short. By correctly I mean it would pop up and go straight just not nearly far enough. Probably had two chips I was happy with

It cracks my buddies up, but I putt from all over the place. I ask myself one question: Can I be sure I will putt this closer to the pin more often than if I play some type of chip or flop? If the answer is yes, I putt it every time. No, I don't putt from traps. My sand game is actually good. Better than chipping from grass actually.

I need to try more "bump and run" when close but not really putting close.
just saw a video on that the other day and will try it out next time I'm at the range (they have a nice putting green you can also chip to as well as a long range "green" for long chipping (can't get your ball back on that one but good to crank a long high chip)

A friend of mine, who is a well known golf coach , told me that one of the bust bump and run clubs is choking up on a 7 iron and hitting it as if you were putting. Works well when I do it right.

So what's everyone's favorite cheap(ish) golf ball? I'm not above playing with an old ball that I found in the rough but when I go to a nicer course there's just something about cracking open a new sleeve and shanking one into the woods. :ROFLMAO:

So what's everyone's favorite cheap(ish) golf ball? I'm not above playing with an old ball that I found in the rough but when I go to a nicer course there's just something about cracking open a new sleeve and shanking one into the woods. :ROFLMAO:

Now that my boys are paying for their own, they swear by these. I have hit them as well and they are the best $1 ball I have ever played. They are by no means a Pro V, but they are a great value.

I broke out a new ball and sure enough, first tee shot, way into the woods. dropped a "slighty used ball" (I buy them by the bucket) and drove again. I would switch back to a good ball for subsequent shots at each hole but drive a used one.
not good enough to know the difference at this point, I just like the bright colored ones for when I have to go trying to find out where my ball went!

It cracks my buddies up, but I putt from all over the place. I ask myself one question: Can I be sure I will putt this closer to the pin more often than if I play some type of chip or flop? If the answer is yes, I putt it every time. No, I don't putt from traps. My sand game is actually good. Better than chipping from grass actually.
That’s my hubby who taught me to chip .... one of the better parts of my game as well as putting but I do chip more frequently.

~Dee~

Last edited:
Now that my boys are paying for their own, they swear by these. I have hit them as well and they are the best $1 ball I have ever played. They are by no means a Pro V, but they are a great value.

Love them as does Hubby and yes no pro V but they aren’t to shabby either.

~Dee~

My krypton in golf balls are Callaway which is weird because I love may callaway clubs

A friend of mine, who is a well known golf coach , told me that one of the bust bump and run clubs is choking up on a 7 iron and hitting it as if you were putting. Works well when I do it right.
Yes my eldest son was a assistant pro in Vegas for 10 years lol. I gave my daughter one of my old lefty 7 irons she’s right handed. The 7 iron is one of the most versatile club in your bag.

~Dee~

I don't have one either. Had one peaking at a Detroit fireman's outing 20 years ago. I have watched 3. Two as a caddy and one as a playing partner. They guy skulled his tee shot and it was never more 3 feet off the ground. It was also never off line either. I do have a double eagle that I didn't see go in the hole. The people I hit into (accidentally) saw it. They were none too happy either. Kinda schmucks. I was at least 325 out (so far I didn't consider hitting anything else so it must have hit a sprinkler head or yardage marker. I have never been able to hit a 3 metal that far before or since.
It’s all luck and don’t let anyone tell you any different.... I’ve seen 8 year olds make them I made one for goodness sake. Seriously it’s more luck then anything...

Back to our regular schedule program.

~Dee~

Yes my eldest son was a assistant pro in Vegas for 10 years lol. I gave my daughter one of my old lefty 7 irons she’s right handed. The 7 iron is one of the most versatile club in your bag.

~Dee~
My 8 iron is like that for me. I can hit that in a variety of ways successfully. other irons is a crap-shoot! I use a wedge and 8 iron unless I am a LONG way from the green, then I chance a 6 or 5 iron.
don't even own a fairway wood.... someday... maybe. :)

I did just get a lob wedge delivered today and tried it at the range this evening. I like it! gave me the loft I needed for the shorter stuff where I am wildly inconsistent with my sand wedge. the lob wedge and more bump-and-run and I might get some respectable scores.... someday.... maybe.

My 8 iron is like that for me. I can hit that in a variety of ways successfully. other irons is a crap-shoot! I use a wedge and 8 iron unless I am a LONG way from the green, then I chance a 6 or 5 iron.

I did just get a lob wedge delivered today and tried it at the range this evening. I like it! gave me the loft I needed for the shorter stuff where I am wildly inconsistent with my sand wedge. the lob wedge and more bump-and-run and I might get some respectable scores.... someday.... maybe.
The girls play a lot of 4 clubs and a putter tournaments so the newer golfers learn how to get the most out of the go to clubs...we recommend the 7 iron because of its versatility. Bump and runs, the best way to get out of trouble...woman play more smart golf not the most efficient way to play but when your trying to teach a new generation it works. Kinda of like ready golf to speed up play. Not necessarily appropriate but we’re not pros lol.

~Dee~

In almost a month I will be going on a golf adventure with a couple of my good friends. I have played on a couple really nice courses here in Kansas but from most accounts this is the nicest public course that I'm going to see. It's also most likely going to be an absolute nightmare for me but it was on one of my buddy's bucket list so I figured what the hell. I'm hoping to get plenty of practice in between now and September 15 so I can at least consistently get off the damn tee box and have a playable second shot. 🤞

Speaking only from me myself and I: How is that even possible????

Cheers, :rofl:
They are entirely different shots. !00%. Confidence plays a role as well. I can only tell what happens when I am around the green.

They are entirely different shots. !00%. Confidence plays a role as well. I can only tell what happens when I am around the green.
As I said, speaking only for myself, if I get out of the sand in three, it's a victory :rofl:

A noble objective. My old foursome would support me in such an endeavor with "good luck with that!".

Cheers
I have some vacation days to burn by the end of the year so any excuse to take off a Thursday and Friday is a good excuse. Friday is nothing more than a recovery day since we will be playing 36 holes on Thursday.

My universal club is..... a 5 wood. LOL
I can hit that thing 150 or 225, off a tee or a fairway. Yes, weird. Don't judge me!

I eagled a hole from 200 with the thing last season. And hit a tee shot to 12 inches with it on a 160 yard par 3.

Back