The Golf thread

Keegan Bradley is the leader going into the final round. I like Keegan and would be happy to see him win a big tournament. But I don't trust him to continue to play at the level he has been.
Have a early tee time today then plan stay in with the AC as the dew point is supposed to be oppressive this afternoon.

Keegan wins. Big NE sports fan. Wife is niece of Carlton Fiske.
Glad to see him win a big one, about $3,000,000 payday.

Watched some of the women’s PGA Championship. On the last hole Stephanie Meadow had to get eagle to tie. 2nd shot on the par 5 using a fairway wood she hit the worst duff I have seen a pro due men’s or women’s. Looked like one of my shots as she topped it and it stayed on at ground level and to add insult to injury went into the water
View: https://www.nbcsports.com/video/stephanie-meadow-tops-crucial-shot-kpmg-womens-pga-championship
The game can drive you crazy, if you let it.

Thought everyone would get a kick out of this. I stopped by a golf course in Sweden while we are here to buy some gifts for friends. I couldn't see any of the course but did see the driving range. They had a goal post at the end of it. 🤣20230626_100557.jpg

From a fan prospective, I like to see big tournaments played on different types of courses. Different players have games that suit some courses and not others.
That's one of the reasons you see a player finish near the top one week and missing the cut other weeks.
I hear ya on how diff players play diff courses, but if someone is 20+ under (wasn't Bradley -25 at one point) I think that is too much.
I prefer the tough courses.... wasn't last years PGA Championship at The Country Club won with like -2 under? (too lazy to look it up, I know Matt Fitzpatrick won it)
I know a lot of players didn't like LACC but keep scores under control and was interesting to watch.
The Memorial a few weeks ago at Jack Nicholas course that Hovland beat McCarthy in a playoff was I think -8 under won it.
prefer those over this past weekend.
having said that, a "good golf tournament" is one that is close down to the wire, vs. some where the leader is so far in front it would take a major catastrophe for them to lose. I turn those off before the end

Client golf today. It’s been a long while since the last.

The last time this event was held (summer 2019) we won the scramble at -15. I was a very different golfer then versus today.

We might have to focus on “most fun foursome”.

Play to our strengths!⛳🏌️🍺🍷🥂🥃🤪

Last edited:
Client golf today. It’s been a long while since the last.

The last time this event was held (summer 2019) we won the scramble at -15. I was a very different golfer then versus today.

We might have to focus on “most fun foursome”.

Play to our strengths!⛳🏌️🍺🍷🥂🥃🤪
Those scrambles are fun. Just played in one a couple of weeks ago. Before we started, I told the guys that we had no chance of being the winnng team so our goal was not to finish last. We finished in the middle pack and had a great time.

We finished 10th out of the 36 foursomes. Had we made ANY putts we would have been higher. I will take 10th.

More importantly, we had a blast. Also, client committed to an additional 29k/mo for 36 months. I kinda knew this was coming but the revenue number was 10k higher than I had forecasted which is always nice.

I was our "B" player today so I went first on each shot. The mediport inserted 12 days ago does limit my ability to "rip" tee shots so this was a logical approach. I was 225 yards out and in the middle on most drives thus allowing my clients to really grip/rip. This was not effective for them but it was fun. :)

We raised over 114k for the United Way (NOT my fav charity) so the day was a success.

Finally get to play on Saturday, I’ve only played three times all year. My son & I are playing in Daytona and in two weeks we have a scramble. I’m sure it’ll be ugly but I’m definitely looking forward to getting back out there.

It
Glad that you got out for that event. Just being being out on the course is good medicine.
It really was. Normalcy feelings soooo important. Clients are friends too so that helped.

We all agreed that it had been way too long. We booked next year right there on the course.

For people struggling to shoot the number they expect, I had been going through some issues over the last two months and this past Tuesday I
played with my brother Jerry at Crosswinds in Plymouth, which is a shortish course, but with all kinds of elevation changes and trouble. Fast greens, blind shots, high winds,
brutal hazards. We both struggled which was depressing, but my back nine wasn't bad and I felt like I was figuring it out. It's a strange, yet beautiful course with
excellent conditions, but it got in our heads.

Two days later I played a longer course that was also hilly and somewhat rough condition-wise, hence the 26 dollar greens fee. I walked the course, shot
an 86 and the group I was with wondered what got into me, because I was much better than they'd seen, but they hadn't seen "me". It wasn't the courses, really that was a
minor factor. I just started finding my swing again which has been MIA most of the year. I was in better control and striking the ball solidly more often than not, which
was a switch.

Going in all I thought was simply "I want to hit more good shots and fewer shitty ones" and that was mission accomplished.

Can I shave 7 strokes off that 86 and break 80 for the first time? Yep, I definitely can. I believe that is realistic even if I go out and suck next week,
because I have the game to do it. All I have to do is get my head and body right. Both have improved. It's a realistic goal.

Golf is the most mental game there is. People tell themselves all sorts of stuff and a lot of it is somewhere between delusional and incorrect, but I choose
to tell myself I'm a sub-80 player and we'll see how that goes.

I had a chance to study the subconscious mind a while back and believe I learned some useful things. Now, when I hear people say"I just can't get out of the sand no matter
what I try", for instance, I know that is going to be a self-fulfilling prophecy. Doom. If that person wanted to get better they should never let their subconscious hear something like that,
because that thing believes almost everything you tell it and will ensure you continue to fail. Instead, if that person stated a reasonable goal such as "I can be better out of the sand",
which is 100% possible, then it is entirely possible they would get better,

It's a mental game. What do you tell others about your game? What does your subconscious hear? It's both a powerful engineer and very prone to suggestion. It's not particularly bright, either, but it knows pure bullshit and ignores it. Reachable, reasonable goals are the key.

For people struggling to shoot the number they expect, I had been going through some issues over the last two months and this past Tuesday I
played with my brother Jerry at Crosswinds in Plymouth, which is a shortish course, but with all kinds of elevation changes and trouble. Fast greens, blind shots, high winds,
brutal hazards. We both struggled which was depressing, but my back nine wasn't bad and I felt like I was figuring it out. It's a strange, yet beautiful course with
excellent conditions, but it got in our heads.

Two days later I played a longer course that was also hilly and somewhat rough condition-wise, hence the 26 dollar greens fee. I walked the course, shot
an 86 and the group I was with wondered what got into me, because I was much better than they'd seen, but they hadn't seen "me". It wasn't the courses, really that was a
minor factor. I just started finding my swing again which has been MIA most of the year. I was in better control and striking the ball solidly more often than not, which
was a switch.

Going in all I thought was simply "I want to hit more good shots and fewer shitty ones" and that was mission accomplished.

Can I shave 7 strokes off that 86 and break 80 for the first time? Yep, I definitely can. I believe that is realistic even if I go out and suck next week,
because I have the game to do it. All I have to do is get my head and body right. Both have improved. It's a realistic goal.

Golf is the most mental game there is. People tell themselves all sorts of stuff and a lot of it is somewhere between delusional and incorrect, but I choose
to tell myself I'm a sub-80 player and we'll see how that goes.

I had a chance to study the subconscious mind a while back and believe I learned some useful things. Now, when I hear people say"I just can't get out of the sand no matter
what I try", for instance, I know that is going to be a self-fulfilling prophecy. Doom. If that person wanted to get better they should never let their subconscious hear something like that,
because that thing believes almost everything you tell it and will ensure you continue to fail. Instead, if that person stated a reasonable goal such as "I can be better out of the sand",
which is 100% possible, then it is entirely possible they would get better,

It's a mental game. What do you tell others about your game? What does your subconscious hear? It's both a powerful engineer and very prone to suggestion. It's not particularly bright, either, but it knows pure bullshit and ignores it. Reachable, reasonable goals are the key.
Mental game? Yes. Subconscious game? LOF, of course.

We dads today quickly went up 2 holes after 3. This was not good for our "swing easy, keep it in the fairway" strategy.

55 year old guys should NEVER try to keep up with 23 year old young men. Shit, I bought him the damn clubs with the shafts HE needed.

We bought the wings/drinks.

I am not happy. Will need to do better.

Golf is the most mental game that I've ever played. Some days I stand over the ball and overthink the shot that I want to make. That usually ends up with a bad shot or a very bad shot. I tell myself not to do it, yet I do it.

And the guy who came up with "practice makes perfect", was a frigging liar.

Ricky Fowler is the leader after the 3rd round of the Rocket Mortgage tournament. I identify with Ricky, in that my game is as inconsistent as his. And WTF is going on with Justin Thomas, missing the cut in this field. He has had an awful year so far.

Last edited:
Would like to see Fowler win this, but he is indeed inconsistent
justin Thomas has been awful. Even top pro’s can have bad stretches
now on the opposite end of that spectrum - me! - has been getting worse each time I play. Like Hawg and PP said, the mental part is my undoing and I am standing over the ball with a “don’t screw up, don’t screw up” mentality that only leads to screwing it up

Back