The Golf thread

my oldest son and I played friday and we were paired up with another 2 guys. both were retired and played regularly for the joy of being on the course (and as they said "to get out of the house"). both of them had very short swings and 1/4 is probably a good description. There were more like "slapping" at it, but it was almost always straight and they just worked there way down the course.
I was driving pretty well and they would take two hits to get to where my son and I were driving them, but it worked for them and we all had a good time.
(for some reason I couldn't hit my irons for crap after doing pretty well the last time.... the mystery of golf)

Dads and sons tied. Got a little ahead of myself a couple of times. I was able to get the 25 year old 3 metal out about 175 yards if no other Dad had a decent tee shot.

Last edited:
Is it just me or does NBC's camera work suck. And what's with the guy who whispers all the time, like he's going to disturb the players if he talks in a normal tone.

going to be an interesting final day for the US Open. Scheffler made a big move at the end with Eagle then birdie. not sure I trust Fowler or Clark to hold onto their lead and Rory you never know.
Scheffler might take this if he can just putt half way decent today.

going to be an interesting final day for the US Open. Scheffler made a big move at the end with Eagle then birdie. not sure I trust Fowler or Clark to hold onto their lead and Rory you never know.
Scheffler might take this if he can just putt half way decent today.
There is a possibility of a tie at the US Open. As I understand it, if there is a tie, there is a 2 hole playoff, not 1 hole sudden death. It's a cumulative score for those 2 holes.

If they are tied after the 2 hole playoff, then it's 1 hole after that. They changed the playoff rule a few years ago. It use to be an 18 hole playoff the next day.

Seems to be more people at the LA golf, then at a LA Chargers game.
As bad as Jim Nantz is, this guy on NBC is much, much worse.

Last edited:
Wyndham Clark holds on to win. Fowler faded as i unfortunately expected (nothing against him, just expected it) and McIlroy will probably lose a lot of sleep over several missed putts

I felt bad for Rickie Fowler. How humiliating it must be to have a meltdown at the US Open in your hometown.
I do feel bad that Wyndham Clark's mom died at 55 when he was in college. I really, really do.

But I really didn't need to hear about it repeatedly, over and over again, 84 times that that idiot announcer on NBC kept bring it up

And get rid of that guy who whispers all the time. He is annoying to say the least.

Congrats to Wyndham Clark., it's good to see a guy who is lower ranked come up and win a Major.

I felt bad for Rickie Fowler. How humiliating it must be to have a meltdown at the US Open in your hometown.
I do feel bad that Wyndham Clark's mom died at 55 when he was in college. I really, really do.

But I really didn't need to hear about it repeatedly, over and over again, 84 times that that idiot announcer on NBC kept bring it up

And get rid of that guy who whispers all the time. He is annoying to say the least.

Congrats to Wyndham Clark
., it's good to see a guy who is lower ranked come up and win a Major.

I second the congrats to Clark....he played hungry as a junk-yard dog 👍

speaking of annoying....what the F was up w/ that GD droning banner-dragin' piper cub circling around the venue
it sounded like those GD Vuvuzelas them dipshid soccer fans used during the South African 2010 FIFA World Cup

Vuvuzelas_1.jpg

loosen up the wallet & get a GD oil change or somethin'......maybe Gavin Newsom coulda donated some of his hair treatment shit :shake:

Big day. For the first time this year, I was able to play a full 18. Shot a 90, which wasn't too bad although I should have done better on the back 9.

Big day. For the first time this year, I was able to play a full 18. Shot a 90, which wasn't too bad although I should have done better on the back 9.

Good for you. I'm battling through some significant issues with my swing and making too many bad ones right now. I need some
serious range time to experiment and find good contact again, which has been very intermittent and my scores have been well higher than
what I expect. Playing bogey golf in your first full round is some really nice going, so congrats.

As an aside, I've been experiencing some chronic issues with my stomach, in which the primary symptom is excessive bloating and discomfort
when I exercise. This causes pressure in my upper GI and I wasn't sure if I was having issues with my heart (again) or what. It was giving me
fatigue, hypertension, muscle cramps and all kinds of other shit, but I'm in the process of weaning myself off an anti-acid drug (omeprazole) that I've
been on for over 20 years in an attempt to fix the root cause of why I had excess acid in the first place, instead of just inhibiting the acid and
creating other issues. I was always a little suspicious of the drug, but recently found that there are many Doctors that definitely do not approve
of long-term use of PPIs (proton pump inhibitors) and advocate natural cures. It's complicated, but I'm attempting to understand it and hopefully
my overall health and my golf game will improve. Early results are encouraging.

That's the CliffNotes version, but I've already been able to start walking the course again and last night I had zero bloating and much better energy. My
swing is erratic and my confidence a little shaky, but every single person who plays golf has to find their way out of the doubt and back into the zone. All
it takes is that one round where you feel the club falling into the right slot again and you move forward from there. I'm just having a little trouble finding
it now, but it will come.

Good for you. I'm battling through some significant issues with my swing and making too many bad ones right now. I need some
serious range time to experiment and find good contact again, which has been very intermittent and my scores have been well higher than
what I expect. Playing bogey golf in your first full round is some really nice going, so congrats.

As an aside, I've been experiencing some chronic issues with my stomach, in which the primary symptom is excessive bloating and discomfort
when I exercise. This causes pressure in my upper GI and I wasn't sure if I was having issues with my heart (again) or what. It was giving me
fatigue, hypertension, muscle cramps and all kinds of other shit, but I'm in the process of weaning myself off an anti-acid drug (omeprazole) that I've
been on for over 20 years in an attempt to fix the root cause of why I had excess acid in the first place, instead of just inhibiting the acid and
creating other issues. I was always a little suspicious of the drug, but recently found that there are many Doctors that definitely do not approve
of long-term use of PPIs (proton pump inhibitors) and advocate natural cures. It's complicated, but I'm attempting to understand it and hopefully

That's the CliffNotes version, but I've already been able to start walking the course again and last night I had zero bloating and much better energy. My
swing is erratic and my confidence a little shaky, but every single person who plays golf has to find their way out of the doubt and back into the zone. All
it takes is that one round where you feel the club falling into the right slot again and you move forward from there. I'm just having a little trouble finding
good luck with the health! puts things like golf swings into proper perspective.

having said that, I'll also add that I'm having issues wiht my swing (that wasn't very good to begin with so not a lot of margin for error)
mainly my irons. Chipping ok although I keep hitting it shorter then I needed too but at least it leaves the club like you'd expect and heads in the right direction :)
I've golfed three times in the last 2 weeks and I seem to be getting a little worse each time! I thought that would have gone the other way :coffee:

good luck with the health! puts things like golf swings into proper perspective.

having said that, I'll also add that I'm having issues wiht my swing (that wasn't very good to begin with so not a lot of margin for error)
mainly my irons. Chipping ok although I keep hitting it shorter then I needed too but at least it leaves the club like you'd expect and heads in the right direction :)
I've golfed three times in the last 2 weeks and I seem to be getting a little worse each time! I thought that would have gone the other way :coffee:

If there is one thing I feel like I know for sure, it's you never know when something is going to click and you're immediately going to think "shit! that's it!!!" and
you'll get more competent just like that.

Then, of course, you will eventually lose it and have to search for it again, but it's like a series of steps that get a little higher over time.

Usually, it is just something where you quit analyzing and sort of let your subconcious or body take over.

Best of luck, but really it's just in the attempt and playing that'll help you find something better.

I like to take away the best shots I hit in any particular round and think about them instead of the ones that went haywire. Just picture the best
and tell yourself that THAT is who you are and not the dude that hit one sideways and about 30 feet when they had a perfect lie and an easy shot.

If there is one thing I feel like I know for sure, it's you never know when something is going to click and you're immediately going to think "shit! that's it!!!" and
you'll get more competent just like that.

Then, of course, you will eventually lose it and have to search for it again, but it's like a series of steps that get a little higher over time.

Usually, it is just something where you quit analyzing and sort of let your subconcious or body take over.

Best of luck, but really it's just in the attempt and playing that'll help you find something better.

I like to take away the best shots I hit in any particular round and think about them instead of the ones that went haywire. Just picture the best
and tell yourself that THAT is who you are and not the dude that hit one sideways and about 30 feet when they had a perfect lie and an easy shot.

It's hard enough to deal with the ups and downs of the game, without also dealing with what you describe. Having an undiagnosed health condition can screw with your mind worse than golf

A couple of weeks ago, as I was picking up a ball, I felt a sharp pain in the area that I had the surgery. There is no "mulligan" with this so I stopped playing right off and felt that was the end of golf. My vascular surgeon assured me that I could not damage the surgery or the devise with activity. Unless I decided to become a sparring partner for Creed.

I wish someone can explain why I can hit rockets with my fairway wood for a while, then one day hit nothing but clunkers.

Another big money tournament started today, the Travelers in CT.
Didn't get to watch any but the 2 stories from day 1are, NE's Keegan Bradley is the leader and Rory got an ace.

So glad all you get to play and be your best it so cool..... I get to as well. Good luck for the rest of the summer.

~Dee~

Another big money tournament started today, the Travelers in CT.
Didn't get to watch any but the 2 stories from day 1are, NE's Keegan Bradley is the leader and Rory got an ace.
I’ve been to the travelers many time. Lol. It’s a fun time.

~Dee~

I’ve been to the travelers many time. Lol. It’s a fun time.

~Dee~
Correction: Bradley was the leader. Now it's another dude. Neither will be the leader after today, I predict.
I've had several invites to attend this tournament over the years as Travelers is one of the companies that I represent. Just haven't been able to schedule a day that I could make the 3.5 hour drive.

Last edited:
Back