The Hiking Thread

Hiked Arethusa Falls and Frankenstein Cliff today.

The first picture attached is a view of Colloseum Falls. There's a couple of Arethusa Falls, then a couple of views from Frankenstein Cliff.

All I had with my was my cell phone camera - the pictures don't really do justice to the scenery.

Thanks.

For those not familiar with the region, Arethusa Falls is on Rt 302 just north of North Conway. The hike is a 4.5 mile loop with about 1200' of elevation gain.

I'd rate it as moderate - there are a few occasions during the descent where you'll need to take baby steps and grab a nearby tree.

Thanks.

For those not familiar with the region, Arethusa Falls is on Rt 302 just north of North Conway. The hike is a 4.5 mile loop with about 1200' of elevation gain.

I'd rate it as moderate - there are a few occasions during the descent where you'll need to take baby steps and grab a nearby tree.

I used to work in Crawford Notch, at the Highland Center. Arethusa Falls was one of our almost-daily guided hikes. Highest waterfall in NH, and a great spot!

Not yet.

Bucket list fo sho!!!

Didn't get a single hike in last year!

That's ok, one of the great things about the mountains is they'll always be there!

It's been a weird winter season. Everything above treeline has been hard ice (there was that thaw a couple of weeks back), at least until today's storm.

That's ok, one of the great things about the mountains is they'll always be there!

It's been a weird winter season. Everything above treeline has been hard ice (there was that thaw a couple of weeks back), at least until today's storm.

I'm going up February vacation. I've never attempted a winter hike. Not sure I want to try.

I'm going up February vacation. I've never attempted a winter hike. Not sure I want to try.

If you get a bluebird type of day, it's usually not bad in terms of dealing with the cold and wind. The AMC runs a lot of free guided hikes of varying lengths from their outdoor centers, even in the winter. They'll even loan you the gear and clothes you need. It used to be you didn't need to be staying there (since they're an education-based non-profit) but I'm not sure if that's changed. Probably not.

Other days, when the weather doesn't cooperate, you generally just have to temper your expectations. I've probably headed up Washington in the winter a dozen or so times, but have only made the top on maybe half of those attempts.

Cool!

Thanks for the info.

I haven't done Washington yet in good weather so that's out, but if time allows I will look into a guided trip an a smaller track.

Awesome having a resident guide!

On a side note: picked the kids up at school Wednesday, on foot. Only a 1/4 mile from my work. Nothing but pissing and moaning for 5 minutes. Until I blurted out "Well, looks like you two aren't close to ready for a hike this spring."

Silence.

Two minutes later, as I heard the gears churning in my oldest head, she says "But dad, a hike would actually be fun and exciting."

Hook.
Line.
And sinker.

Lol

Climbed Mt. Cuyacama today with my brother-in-law.

It's the second tallest peak in San Diego County, at 6512'.

We started from the Paso Picacho Campground, which is at around 5000'; it's about 3.5 miles from the campground to the summit.

Good hike.

We climbed Angel's Landing in Utah the last day of September - just a great hike. There were quite a few people there that day, as it was day before they closed all the Nat'l Parks due to the gov't shutdown. This shot shows the final "rest spot" - it's about 3/4 of the way up, that's the summit of Angel's in the background.

Here's another shot of the Angel's hike:

Ah, ya all got me looking at the Zion trip pics- so, gotta post a couple more...! Seriously, if you get a chance, Zion is a superb place to visit and hike in - this shot is from the very top, I'm lying horizontal with the camera over the edge- the park access road is on the left:

On the way up, my son looking back down the valley:

One last one - going through the side canyon on the way up:

Just finished a two-day/one-night trip to Mount Adams.

We left from Appalachia on Thursday morning about 11:45. Took Airline to Shortline to Spur Trail to get to Crag Camp. Total trip distance - 3.8 miles.

We did the first three miles in 2 hours and 25 minutes.

We did the last .8 miles in 2 hours and 50 minutes.

The trail was unbroken, and the snow was 3 to 6 feet deep.

After we arrived, we immediately started melting snow for hot drinks and supper. Indoor cabin temperature was about 5 deg F when we arrived (sun was still up at 5:00 pm). Overnight low was about -10 F outdoors, indoors was probably -5F.

When it's that cold and dry when you're hiking, you lose a lot of liquids between perspiration and exhalation. So we spent the hours between 5:00 pm and 8:00 pm just constantly slamming hot tea, hot chocolate (and some single malt), and then had a nice chicken pot pie dinner. Went to bed (in my nice sleeping bag rated for -20 conditions) and felt OK. Woke up every three hours and had to go outside to pee. There's nothing like getting up in the middle of the night, putting on frozen boots, and going outside. Multiple times.

On Friday morning, we tried to ascend Mt. Madison (from Crap Camp, it's easy to reach either Madison or Adams). Once we got above treeline, we noticed the wind. It wasn't too bad, but combined with the sub-zero temperature it was a little concerning. I turned back after an hour of hiking, as I didn't feel comfortable going on. The rest of the group stayed out another hour or so, and made it up to Thunderstorm Junction. The wind was still acceptable, but two of the group had feet so cold that they didn't feel good about going on, either. So by noon we were all back at Crag Camp, and rather than staying on for one more night (the original plan), we hiked back out, and drove back on Friday night.

When you're wearing a 50 lb pack, and snowshoes, and you fall in 5 feet of powder, it doesn't hurt. But it takes every joule of energy in your body to regain your footing. And it's really easy to fall when you're going downhill and you're top-heavy because of the pack.

And this was about the same place as where the hiker from NY was killed (I don't know if you've heard about her, but it was front page news in the NY Times and Boston Globe). We were one trail over - she went up the Valley Way path. The big difference was that we were watching the weather, and postponed our trip by a week to avoid the extreme wind conditions. Cold is not a problem if you have the right gear. But no one with experience in the mountains in the winter will try to deal with high winds.

In the pictures, I'm the one in the gray rag wool hat.

Tip,

All I can say is that I give you maximum, maximum style points for doing what you did.

I've been doing a little snowshoeing lately, but I've never attempted full pack on them or a winter trip as ambitious (read: lunatic) as that. I sink in pretty good as it is in the soft stuff, nevermind with a pack.

I know enough to know that you were well-prepared, but......holy shit. That must have been hell on the legs.

I would've enjoyed to be able to watch that stretch where you went .8 in almost 3 hours, just to see how bad it was, but I can pretty much guess. That is some serious slow going.

A very enjoyable read and the pics are great. Including the map was a nice touch and it's good to know you made it bad in one piece unlike that poor girl. Thanks!

Wow!

That's something Tip!

Huge kudos.

I'm new to the hiking game and don't have a lot of time with 2 kids in just about every sport but when I do get to go there's few things in life as relaxing and calming, though physically demanding at the same time.

Being as green as I am with it I'd never consider a winter hike in temps and snow conditions like that. Yet.

I hope to bang out a couple more this year. With some overnights too.

Maybe in a couple years and on some familiar trails I'd finally attempt a winter excursion. Though finding time in hockey season is pretty tough.

Wish I could see the pics and trail maps. Klink. I see nothing!

Home modification #1: cut and install a zipper in the waist area so you could just piss in a big Gatorade bottle at night and stay warm! Lol

Back