The Hiking Thread

Hawg - Thank for the kind words. And you're 100% correct - my legs were toast when we reached camp on Thursday night. Had you been there for that last .8 mile, you would have heard a lot of colorful language as the trail breaker would stomp down the next step, dig in the toe of his boot, and then slide all the way back down (or even lower) to where he started. Extremely frustrating. Finally, the best hiker among us (not me), dropped his pack and broke trail for the last 1/4 mile, and then went back for his pack.

DS - I have heard of the bottle technique, but have yet to try it in practice. Maybe next trip. :thumb: (I too sometimes have trouble seeing pictures posted by others. Maybe a mod could explain it.)

1st i must say that is an awesome adventure. Thanks for sharing. What a crazy bunch you guys are.

As,for pictures i think it is a,setting to do with the attached pictures. Let me try something and see if it works

attachment-3.jpeg

attachment-2.jpeg

attachment-1.jpeg

attachment.jpeg

Reverse order but let me know if this worked.

Awesome! See them now.

You are the man Mikie!

Now I gotta go over to the Spank Bank ... I mean Girlie Pic thread and see if it solves there too.

Hawg - Thank for the kind words. And you're 100% correct - my legs were toast when we reached camp on Thursday night. Had you been there for that last .8 mile, you would have heard a lot of colorful language as the trail breaker would stomp down the next step, dig in the toe of his boot, and then slide all the way back down (or even lower) to where he started. Extremely frustrating. Finally, the best hiker among us (not me), dropped his pack and broke trail for the last 1/4 mile, and then went back for his pack.

DS - I have heard of the bottle technique, but have yet to try it in practice. Maybe next trip. :thumb: (I too sometimes have trouble seeing pictures posted by others. Maybe a mod could explain it.)

I use that all the time. When I've had a long, hard day on the trail and my entire body feels like I've been beaten with 2X4's, I pull out a squeeze bottle of Maker's Mark and I drink until I think I might be able to get to sleep.

I'm pretty sure I keep going on more trips because the relief factor when I get back to the world is so incredible that it actually fools me into thinking I enjoyed myself.

Nah, I'm just kidding. I do love getting way out there, but there are those moments of extreme discomfort where you doubt your own sanity.

I mentioned it somewhere on this site, but I went on a trip to Baxter in October that was extremely wet. The rivers flooded bad and one in particular looked really nasty and it was either chance a crossing or be marooned for a few days and I went at it the best way I knew how.

I ended up losing the fight and getting washed downstream and had to struggle my way to the other side, but those few minutes were probably the most intense ones I had in 2014.

What is that worth? I'd say a lot.

I use that all the time. When I've had a long, hard day on the trail and my entire body feels like I've been beaten with 2X4's, I pull out a squeeze bottle of Maker's Mark and I drink until I think I might be able to get to sleep.

I'm pretty sure I keep going on more trips because the relief factor when I get back to the world is so incredible that it actually fools me into thinking I enjoyed myself.

Nah, I'm just kidding. I do love getting way out there, but there are those moments of extreme discomfort where you doubt your own sanity.

I mentioned it somewhere on this site, but I went on a trip to Baxter in October that was extremely wet. The rivers flooded bad and one in particular looked really nasty and it was either chance a crossing or be marooned for a few days and I went at it the best way I knew how.

I ended up losing the fight and getting washed downstream and had to struggle my way to the other side, but those few minutes were probably the most intense ones I had in 2014.

What is that worth? I'd say a lot.

I can already see the next season of Expedition: Alaska.

The Alaskans. Endurance. Military. And the Massholes.

Given the spike in ratings on Survivor when they have a "colorful" contestant from MA you know it's coming.

I can already see the next season of Expedition: Alaska.

The Alaskans. Endurance. Military. And the Massholes.

Given the spike in ratings on Survivor when they have a "colorful" contestant from MA you know it's coming.

Expedition Alaska is a pretty interesting show at times. I saw one recently where they had to build a raft out of logs and navigate a fairly hairy river. One group built a raft that had no way to steer it and they, predictably, ate it on the rocks.

There is no shortage of dopes on some of these shows. The average Masshole would've thought of putting a rudder on it, I'm pretty sure. "Yah. We're gonna need a big-ass ruddah!"

Expedition Alaska is a pretty interesting show at times. I saw one recently where they had to build a raft out of logs and navigate a fairly hairy river. One group built a raft that had no way to steer it and they, predictably, ate it on the rocks.

There is no shortage of dopes on some of these shows. The average Masshole would've thought of putting a rudder on it, I'm pretty sure. "Yah. We're gonna need a big-ass ruddah!"

Ha!

Yeah I saw that one.

On a side note: my wife and I STILL catch Survivor.

We're only on episode 2 this week so if anyone wants to jump on board you aren't too late.

They have Meathead Rob Lowes clone on the show and predictably, yup, he's from MA. Huge Pats fan. They could do the whole hour on this guy and it wouldn't stop being hysterical.

You still watch Survivor?

God love you and the Mrs.

I liked the show for the first few years and then they pioneered the technique of using athletic and/or attractive models and morons instead of regular, interesting people and I just couldn't take it. I probably haven't seen it since season 4.

Boston Rob. He was the pioneer of Massholes on reality TV and then everybody got into the act.

You still watch Survivor?

God love you and the Mrs.

I liked the show for the first few years and then they pioneered the technique of using athletic and/or attractive models and morons instead of regular, interesting people and I just couldn't take it. I probably haven't seen it since season 4.

Boston Rob. He was the pioneer of Massholes on reality TV and then everybody got into the act.

Boston Rob is like a college professor compared to this cat.

Anyone that has seen the Meathead Rob Lowe commercial and gotten a chuckle HAS to sit and watch 15 minutes of this show. I'm just waiting for him to keep saying "bro".

X/C ski down backside of Wildcat Mtn video

I've never even opened this "Other Sports Talk" section, just assuming it was about Hockey or some such. Finally did and found this Hiking thread. Here's a video I made from a trip this Feb. to ski backside of Wildcat Mtn, which is across from Mt. Washington. Highly recommend! My wife and 16 year old son are in video. Trail is 14 miles long from top down to Jackson, NH.

https://www.facebook.com/erik.bell.756/videos/10200140594874725/?l=3339447103968642725

I've never even opened this "Other Sports Talk" section, just assuming it was about Hockey or some such. Finally did and found this Hiking thread. Here's a video I made from a trip this Feb. to ski backside of Wildcat Mtn, which is across from Mt. Washington. Highly recommend! My wife and 16 year old son are in video. Trail is 14 miles long from top down to Jackson, NH.

https://www.facebook.com/erik.bell.756/videos/10200140594874725/?l=3339447103968642725

Sweet... Wildcat River Trail? I used to live/work up there, for AMC. Looks like you and fam had a great (but chilly!) day out there! Thanks for sharing.

Back To Mt. Adams

A couple of hiking buddies and I did the King Ravine Trail on Mt. Adams on Saturday (June 20). We drove up to Conway on Friday night, stayed at the White Mountains Hostel, and then started our hike from Appalachia at 7:40 am on Saturday. We did the 9 mile round trip in about 7.5 hours - we were down at 3:20. We spent about 30 minutes on top eating lunch and enjoying the glorious weather.

If you'd like to know more about the King Ravine Trail, here are a couple of paragraphs about it.

I have a couple of dozen pictures I could upload, but that feature of the board appears to be broken. Too bad - a couple of them are really nice.

Back