The Matrix

Seriously guys, the 2nd and 3rd sucked to you because you missed it. Its really our flatulent education systems that failed to teach us even the basics of world religions, mythology, classic literature and psychology that is the reason most people miss the point and depth of these movies. The three movies make a complete Hero story and it is absolutely fantastic. I would love to get into it all here but I'd be here all day. Seriously don't close out these movies yet, keep an open mind. Read these links if you want to appreciate a little more what is really in these magnificent films

Man I better stop or I won't get any work done today.

See, you're confusing two things here. The Matrix Trilogy was indeed a great story. However, it was not comprised of 3 magnificent films. The second two fell well short of the first in film making by merit of not the greatest editing and overdone sequences that were clearly meant as nothing more than padding, often to the point of distraction and boredom.

Just like the Star Wars films may make an incredible story even though not all of the installments were that good, you have to look at the Matrix in the same light. A case of the whole being greater than the sum of its parts.

And for the record, I'm a huge Matrix fan, and still play the online game today.

Have you ever seen Trinity in a real life non airbrushed photo? ROFL
real-life naked?? in the same room so I could brush up&down against her?? I wouldn't mind in the least

facial flaws in that type of setting are way, way, way overrated

have another cocktail you degenerate :toast: :shake:

Ummm, yeah. :rolleyes: Some slo-mo camera effect makes all the difference. Maybe they should re-film "The Ten Commandments" and "Ben Hur" using it. A special effect is "a huge contribution taking movies forward into the future"? :shake: Probably explains why I don't go to the movies very much any more...
I thought you worked at the movies?:confused:

I disagree. You are certainly entitled to your opinion though as I am mine :). To me the 2nd and third films complete the story and are about at the same level as the first. I don't beleive the frist movie stands on it's own, it's a great opening chapter but not a complete story. The only padding I personally think there was in the entire trilogy was the scene where Neo fights all those Smiths in the courtyard. That scene should have been half or a quarter the length it was.

Most people I have talked to did not understand the 2nd and 3rd movies enough to enjoy them. I now understand just about everything the Oracle and The Architect said and why whereas it all went over my head the first time. Most people don't really have a clue. It really is the extremely efficient dialogue a love most about this Trilogy now. I am not saying you fall in this group I'm just saying a lot of people do if not most.

I was disappointed with both the 2nd and 3rd movies until I educated myself a little more and was awakened to what I did not even come close to seeing the first time. Now when I watch the films I am in awe that such a story could be portrayed in the movie medium rather then a book in this day and age of Hollywood fluff.

I don't expect everyone to beleive me or humor me by reading the links I posted but I still hope some might still be able/willing to. We are all able to come to our own conclusions so I won't say you are wrong just that I disaggree.

real-life naked?? in the same room so I could brush up&down against her?? I wouldn't mind in the least

facial flaws in that type of setting are way, way, way overrated

have another cocktail you degenerate :toast: :shake:

Meh, I'd probably hit it too just so I could walk around and say I banged Trinity. :D

Maybe because they filmed #2 and 3 at the same time? Any time you do 2 things at once you are bound to cut corners, give 99% instead of 100% and overwork yourself to the detriment of the project at hand.

I refuse to believe that there where 2 other Matrix movies. As far I am concerened, the Matrix ended with Rage Against the Machine's "Wake Up"

Was there a 2nd and a 3rd Superbowl for the Pats? Or did you just enjoy the first one so much you refuse to watch the others or even acknowledge thier existance? ;)

Yes I know, now I'm just being silly.

The W brothers actually ripped off a Japanese movie which goes along the same lines, plus one of the brothers was busy getting ready for his sex change op so he could practise lesbian love with his paid for dominatrix. (true story)

Word was they wrote V for Vendetta but passed it off under some other name, so they didn't have to promote it so soon after the surgery.

Damn, I think I'm alone in that I enjoyed the 2nd one and disliked the 3rd one.

Then again, I haven't seen them in a while and could be getting some parts of the story mixed up.

And ask yourself this, did you really expect a "solid" trilogy with Keanu Reeves as the lead? The fact that the story was good was bound to cacth up to the mediocre acting.
You're not alone. The second one was OK, until the ending, which seemed to violate the rules that had been established about where Neo had "special" powers. I thought that the third movie would resolve the conflict that had been established with the cliff hanger ending. Instead, the third movie resolved nothing, and was absolute crap.
:Eason:

It's critical in a sci-fi movie, that once the "rules" have been established, they need to be followed.

What wasn't resolved?

Neo had several ascentions during the movie where his powers and awareness increased. He couldn't dodge bullets when we first met him either.

I disagree. You are certainly entitled to your opinion though as I am mine :). To me the 2nd and third films complete the story and are about at the same level as the first. I don't beleive the frist movie stands on it's own, it's a great opening chapter but not a complete story. The only padding I personally think there was in the entire trilogy was the scene where Neo fights all those Smiths in the courtyard. That scene should have been half or a quarter the length it was.

Of course you're entitled to your opinion. Just so happens that it's wrong. :D (just kidding).

In addition to the Smith fight, I would add the fact that the highway chase takes up nearly 25 minutes, which for any sequence in film is considered way too long. The fight against the Merv's gang lasted close to 5 minutes. Again, pushing the length when it's just the same thing over and over. Punch, block, jump, swing, hit, punch, block, jump swing hit, repeat ad nauseum. The final fight with Smith ran long too, but that one at least was seperated some by exchanges and all, so I was able to forgive that one.

To me, examples of good sequences. Neo's first fight with Smith. Neo and Trinity's assualt on the office building. Morpheus, Trinity, and Seraph fighting their way into Club Hell (Merv's hangout). Neo's fight with the 3 agents at the beginning of Reloaded. They all have something in common. Done well, and didn't run so long that you're aware of the passage of time.

As I said, the story as a whole, imho, is definately greater than the sum of its parts. And I disagree on one front. The first film, unlike 2 and 3 CAN stand on it's own. It's a different story at that point, much like Star Wars became a different story with the addition of the prequels. The first 3 films could not stand on their own, and were never intended that way. The orginial trilogy most definately can stand on its own, and did for many, many years. The original Matrix stood on its own for 4 years as well. Neither the second or third could have done so.

Now, if only Sony hadn't bought out Matrix Online from WB so that the Wachoski's really aren't taking part in it any more. I enjoyed following the story as they continued to tell it.

It's critical in a sci-fi movie, that once the "rules" have been established, they need to be followed.

This is one case where I don't think that rule about rules really applies. The reason is the original rule set was a starting place only, and because it was in a "program based" virtual world, they could get away with that. As Neo's knowledge and power increased, so did his ability to see past the program and given rules. At the end of Reloaded, he had grown to a point where his powers existed to an extent in both worlds.

What wasn't resolved?

Neo had several ascentions during the movie where his powers and awareness increased. He couldn't dodge bullets when we first met him either.
While Neo's powers did keep increasing, he only had powers when in the Matrix, and not in the real world. At the end of the second movie that changed, with no explanation as to why.

For the same reason it changed in the Matrix. He didn't have the powers at first and then he ascended past the limitations of that system to the point where he could bend and break rules. Through awareness he busted out of the Godel model of that particular branch of mathematics.

He touched the Source being in the room with the Architect. His power trancended to where he could affect the real world (no longer bound to the rules of even that system). It might only take an elightened human mind to be able to bend or break rules in the Matrix however it takes a higher stage of elightenment to do the same in the real world. Thus he had started to trancend past humanity and into a true Diety. His mind, however, was not ready as he did not fully understand the choice he had to make to get there so his mind and body were seperated by the experience to harness that power the first time. Thus his mind went into Limbo ("Mobil" trainstation - anagram) and his body (Trinity) had to literally go to hell (just like in greek mythology) to get him back.

Ramakandra helps him understand the next step. Ramakandra is the next ascention of the current Neo. When he stands in front of Neo with Sati before him and between him and Neo the path is clear. Sati is the act of self sacrifice. To get to the next level or true diety Neo needs to accept his self sacrifice... the sacrifice of his body which is Trinity. He could not accept it at the end of the second movie and so he could not complete the ascention fully.

It's kind of cool, most times Neo has an ascention he or someone else says something to that affect.

"Where's Neo?"
"He is right here beside me, don't you see him?"
"We saw something but we didn't know what it was."

Meh, I'd probably hit it too just so I could walk around and say I banged Trinity. :D

The army banged Trinity already...

250px-Trinity_shot_color.jpg

I thinke the Matrix followed suit with what happens a lot with sequels.

First one - the best
Second one - good, but a little worse
Third one - awful

This isn't always the case but you usually never live up to the original. I've also heard that the Wachowskis wanted this to be looked at as one long movie and not to split them up into three seperate films.

Back