The Matt Patricia sucks vs Mac Jones sucks thread.

It's been gnawing at me for the last few weeks, but I'm officially wavering on Mac Jones.

That's exactly what I mean. I'm no longer sure he is the guy. That doesn't mean I want him benched for Zappe, but if it
happened a part of me would feel relieved. That decision could end up being a major mistake, but, at this point, I can't see
him doing anything positive with what is left of 2022.

I thought Mac was really bad today. He's messed up in every way a young QB can be and the final image of Chandler Jones trucking over his
laughably awkward attempt at a "tackle" summed up the day. He was a little baby toad in a recently sharpened lawnmower. It reminded me of
Sam Adams Godzillaing Brady the day we lost 30 zip to the Bills only there won't be a get-right reversal game possible this time.

There was just so much wrong today. Not just with Mac, but in every aspect of the Offense. And this was coming on a day when the protection seemed
somewhat better than what we've been enduring but the bulk of the problems were at least partially traceable to Mac. Inexplicably bad decision-making,
poor play recognition, mechanical problems, clock issues, excessive hissy fits, slow releases and possibly the worst accuracy we've seen from him yet. He
doesn't seem to know if he's an Eagle Scout or a rebel. Pick one and own it.

If I find out that he called his own number on that abortive naked bootleg late in the game, which I really don't know one way or the other, then I'd be
OK with benching him and letting Zappe play for a while. Other than that, let's just march into oblivion and start separating the wheat from the chaff over the offseason.

There is a lot of both, I'd say, but I'm not quite sure which category Mac belongs in.

While I still blame a lot of this on Patricia, Mac was bad today. Some drops too, but the whole ‘offense’ thing is just way off. Maybe Mac’s ‘hissy fits‘ are a sign of how dysfunctional it is vs what he is used to functioning under (Sabin and Alabama, McDaniels and BB last year) but it is on Mac to hit open receivers, etc
i like to imagine a scenario where bill O’Brien is the O coordinator next year with a legit staff coaching o-line, etc and see what happens
I have to admit I was one of those that bitched about McDaniels play calls at times last year. Absence makes the heart grow fonder… or some sh!t like that

Do people really think Belichick will be coaching the Patriots next season? If I had to guess ( or bet, I suppose ) I would say no. i think if I’m Kraft I am seriously wondering if it’s time to pull the plug on the Belichick era. I think the first inclination is to give Bill a chance to fix things, but the more i contemplate another season of this chaos I am inclined to make sweeping changes. Whether Mac Jones is the right guy going forward is a secondary issue.

It's been gnawing at me for the last few weeks, but I'm officially wavering on Mac Jones.

That's exactly what I mean. I'm no longer sure he is the guy. That doesn't mean I want him benched for Zappe, but if it
happened a part of me would feel relieved. That decision could end up being a major mistake, but, at this point, I can't see
him doing anything positive with what is left of 2022.

I thought Mac was really bad today. He's messed up in every way a young QB can be and the final image of Chandler Jones trucking over his
laughably awkward attempt at a "tackle" summed up the day. He was a little baby toad in a recently sharpened lawnmower. It reminded me of
Sam Adams Godzillaing Brady the day we lost 30 zip to the Bills only there won't be a get-right reversal game possible this time.

There was just so much wrong today. Not just with Mac, but in every aspect of the Offense. And this was coming on a day when the protection seemed
somewhat better than what we've been enduring but the bulk of the problems were at least partially traceable to Mac. Inexplicably bad decision-making,
poor play recognition, mechanical problems, clock issues, excessive hissy fits, slow releases and possibly the worst accuracy we've seen from him yet. He
doesn't seem to know if he's an Eagle Scout or a rebel. Pick one and own it.

If I find out that he called his own number on that abortive naked bootleg late in the game, which I really don't know one way or the other, then I'd be
OK with benching him and letting Zappe play for a while. Other than that, let's just march into oblivion and start separating the wheat from the chaff over the offseason.

There is a lot of both, I'd say, but I'm not quite sure which category Mac belongs in.

I hear you and feel the same and have done for a few weeks as well. There is something not right there and it's not just a result of bad coaching, bad play calling etc. Mac getting hits, sacked, harried as a result of poor O Line play or play calling can be lived with, you can readily excuse him there as you would any QB. It's when he isn't getting sacked, harried etc that's the issue. It's when he has time in the pocket, when he has receivers open, that's when he's misfiring. He was very poor yesterday with his accuracy and timing and his decision-making.

Would a better OC and O Line result in a better Mac Jones? Yes it would, but the million-dollar question is this, is a better Mac Jones good enough to be the Patriot franchise QB for the next decade? I mean he kind of faded in the 2nd half of his rookie season even with Josh there and a better O Line. Was that a result of defences catching up or what was it?

So many questions there that will need answering as go into the 2023 season and beyond.

Do people really think Belichick will be coaching the Patriots next season? If I had to guess ( or bet, I suppose ) I would say no. i think if I’m Kraft I am seriously wondering if it’s time to pull the plug on the Belichick era. I think the first inclination is to give Bill a chance to fix things, but the more i contemplate another season of this chaos I am inclined to make sweeping changes. Whether Mac Jones is the right guy going forward is a secondary issue.
I hope not. But, anything is possible.

I’ve been saying this for 2 years. Mac at his best is an average nfl QB. That’s not an insult it is what it is.
He’s gonna need guys around him who can elevate him. He doesn’t have that.

I don't think Patricia is doing a 'good' job.

I think his ability is limited due to the QB being unable to protect the football. I think that's borne out in the different offense run pre-injury, and Zappe being able to protect the football just fine in his starts.
What are you talking about, the last time Zappe played he threw 3 interceptions and fumbled the ball twice in a single half of football?

I think Kraft is done with BB. It's been 3 years of consistently worse football.

Mac's rookie season he looked like a good (not great) QB.

This season he looks like shit.

This season we also decided to name a former Defensive coordinator as offensive play caller and a former special teams coach as QB coach. To be fair, I'll need to see Mac in a real offense to make up my mind on him.

So that puts me firmly in the Matty P sucks camp until further data is available.

They both suck equally. Both forever tainted. I can’t get the image of Patricia dancing on the sidelines encouraging that shit show. Or Mac sitting there pouting after Jones committed a hate crime on him.

Mac's rookie season he looked like a good (not great) QB.

This season he looks like shit.

This season we also decided to name a former Defensive coordinator as offensive play caller and a former special teams coach as QB coach. To be fair, I'll need to see Mac in a real offense to make up my mind on him.

So that puts me firmly in the Matty P sucks camp until further data is available.

I think Bill B and Robert Kraft have a lot of things to think about in the offseason. This team looks completely dysfunctional on the offensive side of the ball.

The biggest problem with Bill Belichick. He seems to be too loyal to Matt Patricia and some other coaches. This could be Belichick’s biggest downfall. Belichick is a great coach however, the offensive side of the football is atrocious, and even though Belichick may not be the decision-maker when it comes to playcalling he is the decision-maker when it comes to personnel decisions, and he gets a big fat F.

Back