The Matt Patricia sucks vs Mac Jones sucks thread.

I’ve been saying this for 2 years. Mac at his best is an average nfl QB. That’s not an insult it is what it is.
He’s gonna need guys around him who can elevate him. He doesn’t have that.
If BB wants to keep Macaroni Jones, he's going to have to draft 2 tackles and a few high end WR's.

Omg yes.

I almost said earlier that all the reasons and shit being thrown around is remarkable in the forgetfulness.

You just laid out the explanation for that.

We had a QB here for 20 years who overcame all of these things.

And it's not because he's superhuman.
Amen.

I prefer Bill goes back into the draft. They had their chance to keep Brady and contend for 2 more years. They passed. Jimmy is glass. No reason to go there and be stuck without a Qb in week 2.
No, no they didn't.
Not only did they offer him a contract (that he turned down), he was tampering with the Dolphins during the 2019 season.

Brady was never coming back. This spin is bullshit and you know it, and everyone knows it.

No, no they didn't.
Not only did they offer him a contract (that he turned down), he was tampering with the Dolphins during the 2019 season.

Brady was never coming back. This spin is bullshit and you know it, and everyone knows it.
I disagree but won’t further the discussion because it will derail an otherwise solid thread.

What do you want the Pats to do next year? Stay with Jones/Zappe, draft, or sign a FA, or trade?

Let's say........we move for......Trey Lance.

Mac goes to Las Vegas, we get Lance and SF are content with Brock Purdy. Boom.

I'm done with Mac Jones. he's a crybaby and will never develop into a pro QB. The effort he gave on that last play Sunday epitomized his career for me. No game sense at all, weak arm, poor game management etc.

After long and due consideration, and 14 games of data to analyze, I have come to the conclusion that "yes", they suck. Both of them.

I do give Mac Jones a nod because I firmly believe that 50% of what a QB's potential is derives from the quality of coaching they receive in the first 3 years in the league. As long as they come with the right tools, good coaching makes a good QB, and bad coaching makes a bad QB, and after 3 years the damage is done if they receive bad coaching.

So, Mac sucks, but he is a product of the coaching staff. The tools are there, but the coaches broke them.

After long and due consideration, and 14 games of data to analyze, I have come to the conclusion that "yes", they suck. Both of them.

I do give Mac Jones a nod because I firmly believe that 50% of what a QB's potential is derives from the quality of coaching they receive in the first 3 years in the league. As long as they come with the right tools, good coaching makes a good QB, and bad coaching makes a bad QB, and after 3 years the damage is done if they receive bad coaching.

So, Mac sucks, but he is a product of the coaching staff. The tools are there, but the coaches broke them.
Mac had a good to great first 10 games or so of his rookie year. After the 1st Bills game, he fell back to earth and has not gotten up since. This does not remove any blame from Matty Patty. All the hand wringing about losing Josh seems to not remember the second half of last season. I was reading Lazars' after further review and of course I will agree with part 4 of it because I have been saying it for weeks. Mac is not aggressive in the pocket. He is falling or running away, gun shy if you will. Not throwing with authority. I think he has 3 weeks to play like first 10 games of his career Mac Jones or we may be looking at Mac in a Vegas jersey next season. Matty Patty will not be the OC next season and BB will be given the opportunity to stay until he surpasses Shula in the win department. Book it.

Eric Wilbur.

Former Pro Bowl quarterback Mac Jones was, once again, awful, this time against his former offensive coordinator. Jones completed only 13 of his 31 passes Sunday, and this on a day when the much-maligned offensive line in front of him brought its best performance of the season. It was the first time since the Chicago game that Jones wasn’t sacked at least once; the first time since the second week of the season in Pittsburgh if you want to look for a game in which the starting QB played more than only a handful of series. Running backs Rhamondre Stevenson and Pierre Strong, Jr., meanwhile, combined for 197 yards on the ground, furthering the argument that it’s the only thing the Patriots’ offense can do effectively.

No other play could have more perfectly summed up the dysfunctional New England Patriots than the one they pulled off in Vegas. In terms of situational football, the very basics of the game that Belichick has preached in his coaching since the dawn of time, completely unraveled, revealing the core of the team to be unsuitable for broadcast (NBC dumped this game, remember, for the Giants and Commanders). The inmates, meanwhile, are openly revolting against Patricia and Judge, the special teams remain a laughingstock, and Mac Jones is throwing short passes into the ground. The good news is that the delusional among us can now stop with the farcical playoff push.

You get the feeling that this one play could well have RKK having at least a quiet word with Bill to ask WTF is happening. The team is being ridiculed, rightly, for that play. And RKK would be justified in asking Bill what is really happening here, your teams NEVER do this; they don't make mistakes like this or go off on daft-free styling attempts like this. Why are they doing it now? Why do they feel it's OK to do it? Are the offensive players revolting a bit here against Patricia and Judge?

Eric Wilbur.

You get the feeling that this one play could well have RKK having at least a quiet word with Bill to ask WTF is happening. The team is being ridiculed, rightly, for that play. And RKK would be justified in asking Bill what is really happening here, your teams NEVER do this; they don't make mistakes like this or go off on daft-free styling attempts like this. Why are they doing it now? Why do they feel it's OK to do it? Are the offensive players revolting a bit here against Patricia and Judge?
Revolting? Maybe a little.

We are seeing the results of work of the coaching staff.

Competent (or much better) staff on the D side have players playing at the peak of their careers. Wise, Judon, Bentley, Dugger etc are all better this season than before. Good coaching.

Look at how the rookies are coming along. Good coaching.

Now look at the O side. With the notable exception of the running backs, there isn’t a player that has having a better year this year than before and most aren’t even coming close to their career. Average play. The only one that comes to mind is Onwenu and he is an all star shortstop playing second base.

Mac and others proved they are capable of great play. He is dedicated to his craft and highly intelligent.

What has changed?

Those that want to point to a fall off for his the last 4 games as proof that he stinks, keep in mind that it isn’t uncommon for rooks to hit the rookie wall. Keep in mind that McDummy was clearly out the door by that time.

Mac is playing poorly. The coaching staff on O is why.

Belichick needs to start to fix this on day one of the off-season. I can’t believe I am saying this but even Kraft has to be thinking things that were unimaginable before this ridiculousness.

Last edited:
Speaking of revolts, and don't think I saw it discussed here, a number of core players were not happy with BB. This is back when Zappe was playing and BB was noncommittal about Mac being the starter. Andrews, Mac, Jakobi,and Bourne were disappointed in how BB handled it leaving Mac in such an ambiguous position.

Back