The Meteor Shower of the Decade Is Coming Next Week

Undertaker #59*

Car'a'carn
Staff member
Reaction score
http://www.popularmechanics.com/space/a22200/meteor-shower-of-the-decade/

If you find yourself outside during the night next Thursday, don't forget to look up. On August 11 and 12, the biggest meteor shower of the year, the Perseids, will be lighting up the night sky, and this year the Perseids promise to be the best shower of the decade.

The Perseids typically peak in mid-August every year, when the Earth intersects with the trail of Comet Swift-Tuttle. Debris from the comet impacts the Earth's atmosphere and streaks across the sky, creating shooting stars.

Typically, the Perseids' peak features about 100 meteors per hour. But this year, we may see twice that many thanks to an "outburst," which occurs when the Earth runs into leftover debris from past orbits of the comet as well as debris from the current year. The extra material combines to create a truly spectacular meteor shower.

This year, the Perseids are expected to contain meteors from comet trails laid down in 1862, 1479, and 1079. This means that some of the meteors that will impact Earth's atmosphere next week broke off from the Comet Swift-Tuttle nearly a thousand years ago.

If you're planning to watch the Perseids, it's best to be prepared. The optimal time to see the meteor shower is from late at night on Thursday August 11 to early Friday morning on the 12th, before sunrise.

I watched these a few years ago while I was on vacation in Upper Michigan. Laid out on picnic table at about 1:30 in the morning. No ambient light at all in the area. It was incredible. Watched for about a half hour and went to bed.

Heading up there tomorrow for two weeks. I'll make sure I'm out on Thursday night/Friday morning.

Thanks for the heads up.

edit: Did a little research. Looks like the moon may interfere with the ability to see the showers 100%. Oh well.

I read another article somewhere that said you can see some now, not just as many as will be happening next week. with little or no moon right now it's a good time to watch, just have to be patient.

Once watched the Perseids on a completely clear night from the summit of South Twin (a peak in the White Mountains)... it was probably 20+ years ago but I remember it vividly. Amazing show.

The Meteor Shower of the Decade Is Coming Next Week

Meh. I'm holding out for the Meteor Shower of the Century. :coffee:

Cheers, BostonTim

Once watched the Perseids on a completely clear night from the summit of South Twin (a peak in the White Mountains)... it was probably 20+ years ago but I remember it vividly. Amazing show.

Ditto for me but on Mount Pinos just north of LA.
One of my work friends also worked at the Griffith (LA) Observatory and somehow was able to secure an awesome telescope for us. So besides the amazing showers, got to see the planets up close.

Unforgettable experience!

I was at a Star Party ( nerds with telescopes) last week and in my detailed telescope eyepiece attention, I saw a few impressive shooting stars off the cuff. Very nice to see.

Last year I went on an amazing overnight fishing trip with my cousins and brothers to a gulf stream spot known as the Atlantic Canyons which is approximately 120 miles off the coast of New Jersey.

One of the best parts of the trip was the unbelievable star show so far away from any ambient light. By far the best I've ever seen and the conditions were totally clear. We were basically a bunch of Massholes yucking it up and pounding beers, but when the boat lights were turned off and our eyes adjusted we all shut up in a hurry. Just struck speechless, which is an accomplishment.

We might be leaving at 1am Friday morning for this year's trip, so I'm hoping we get to see at least some of the Perseids to add to the glitter dome.

Thanks for the heads up.

I'm going to be in northern Maine on a motorcycle trip next weekend and definitely hoping for clear skies.

Meh. I'm holding out for the Meteor Shower of the Century. :coffee:

Cheers, BostonTim

Be careful what you wish for.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/0HLGkgM5U50" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Anyone catch this??

I was traveling and after a long day was able to walk out into the motel parking lot at 4:30 am. Even in the bad light saw a streak and several sparkles in under 5 minutes.

It was good. Wish I could have planned things better for a better view.

On a related note a coworker told me if you stay in the dark for 30 minutes. No light. No flashlight. A chemical change happens in your eyes and your star vision drastically inproves. Think that explains why I use to see the milky way as a kid.

Back