The NFL 2023 Draft

So, I've said for awhile that I like OTs Wright and Steen more than most, Harrison and Mauch less than most, and I just don't get it with Bergeron or Freeland as high-end prospects. After a deeper dive looking at OT prospects, not too much has changed.
  • OT1: Skoronski: could he play guard? Sure. But what a waste that would be. If nearly perfect technique can't make up for the missing 5/8ths of an inch of arm length, then...I don't know what. He's better than I thought he was at first glance.
  • OT2: Johnson. Honestly, I think it's Wright on pure merit, but I don't think he'll be the 2nd OT taken. Paris Johnson is already very good, and a ton of upside.
  • OT3: Wright. Precision beats power, and timing beats speed. It's funny, you don't expect him to move as fluidly as he does. He doesn't seem as much of an effortly athletic big guy as either of the Joneses, but he's always moving in the right direction. If he's not a total film junky, his instincts are remarkable. Plenty of power. Change of direction looks painful and difficult, but he's rarely out of position. Lateral movement isn't first rate, but he still wins, even against competition with elite quickness. For some reason it seems to impact him in the run game, but not as much in pass pro. I think he doesn't have elite lateral quickness, but he makes up for it by rarely making a false step. I do have a question about how much Tennessee's offense (and Hooker at the helm) impacts what we see on tape.
  • OT4/5: Broderick/Dawand Jones. So much athleticism and upside with these two. Both need some work on fundamentals. Both bend at the waist too much. Dawand relies too much on overwhelming defenders with his size and strength and wings, which could inhibit his development. But still, God didn't make too many people built like that. I don't have strong opinions on Broderick Jones. He got the job done, but both Georgia tackles got a lot of benefit from all-world TE talent next to them much of the time.
  • OT6: Okay, maybe Harrison goes here. Dude has the power he needs, but is soft. He doesn't fit the gap run scheme, as he prefers to use angles, motion, sliding in the run blocking game. He's a smooth lateral mover, but the amount of room he gives up on the inside will kill him at the pro level. He's energetic, but no mean streak. When facing bigger DL he slides off his blocks, and for someone who displays so much balance in other aspects of the game, he ends up on the ground too often. He's a tick slow on stunts and games and blitzes - reaction isn't intuitive. Dominating big 12 college speed rushers is all well and good, but NFL rushers have size behind speed to power, and use double moves regularly. I smell a frustrating talent who is good until his first welcome to the NFL moment, after which he plays with his ballsack inverted.
  • OT7: Steen. No idea why he doesn't get more love. If we didn't have another OT by round 3 I'd worry about losing him before round 4. If we already have an OT, I'd love to grab him in round 4 or 5 to double up on the position, especially if the OT we have is Wright or Dawand Jones, who may end up on the right side. Steen doesn't have elite LT quickness, but he has enough, and it looks to me like he's strongly left handed - would underperform on the right side. I don't see many mental mistakes, and he's good with stunts and games on the DL. He gets a little fuzzy in the wash on the 2nd level in the running game unless he has a clear path, but that's coachable.
  • OT8 (OG1-4): Mauch. He's dirty, nasty, quick, powerful and subtle in the run game. He's not at his best when he has to control the corner, though he has the speed to do it. His heavy shoulders make his short arms more of a problem than they do for Skoronski. He could be an excellent guard, but I don't think he's a left tackle. His functional strength doesn't match his strong bench numbers (partially symptomatic of short arms). Excellent quickness, but struggles against bull rush and speed to power. Bends too much at the waist, and drops his head too much and too often, especially when dealing with power. His quickness serves him well against pure speed rush to the corner, and he has elite change of direction. He could be a world-beater at guard navigating the mess on the 2nd level with agility, straight line power, and a mean streak. He'd also be a great 3rd tackle/OT eligible.
  • OT9 Duncan: A ton of upside with Duncan if he can stop setting so high in pass pro and coming off the line high in the running game. He's a tremendous athlete, and his instincts seem good. He clearly loves run blocking, but needs technique work. An older prospect after 5 years at Maryland, I wonder how easily he can overcome his habits at this point. I would have rated him higher after his junior year than I do now.
  • OT10: Freeland: A great athlete for sure, and I'm not going to say there isn't potential there. There is. But he plays high, is too light for his 6'8" frame, and his center of gravity is high. His technique in the run game is excellent. His technique in pass pro is reasonably good. But he oversets to the outside constantly, is susceptible to power, especially low power, looks awkward and uncomfortable moving, especially backing up in pass pro. His CoD metrics are amazing, yet he is horrible at getting back inside when he's pass setting to take the corner away, and all his power is lost in the transition. It looks like he has exactly zero instincts for the position. That said...his tape as a senior vs as a junior vs as a sophomore show a clear progression. I don't think he's an instant starter, but if he adds some mass (especially in his lower body) and practices doing everything from a low crouch to drop his anchor, he could evolve into an NFL tackle with a specialization in protecting the corner against speed rushers. If he's a true lifetime learner/beginner's mind type, he could be excellent. But to me it looks like another case of a guy shooting up the boards because of the combine. He might be very good someday, but I don't want it to be with the Patriots.
  • OT11: Bergeron: Nope. Not an elite prospect in any way I can see. His athleticism is fine, and just fine. His production was questionable, and against ACC competition. He's great off the snap, quick and powerful first step. But his functional strength badly trails his tested strength, he doesn't have the elite quickness to deal with top-end speed rushers, and still has the bad habits of waist-bending, oversetting, and dropping his head. His arms are barely longer than Skoronski's and Mauch's, but for some reason no one sees it as a problem with Bergeron. I'd take him in the 4th round as a flyer if he falls and the board is against us. I see his ceiling as a backup swing OT, like Yod the Bod, and his current high standing will cause the QBs he's protecting to take some serious damage before a coaching staff figures this out. It just seems like someone initially put him in with the high-end prospects on Day 2 and anchoring theory just held him there.
There aren't a ton of guys I think could play NFL OT beyond those 11. Wanya Morris out of OU could be a RT or either guard, especially for a zone blocking team, and he also sports some upside with some very nice physical metrics and not a ton of experience. A good coach could bring something out of him. Jordan McFadden at Clemson and Dalton Wagner at Arkansas have some nice traits that could be coached into usefulness. McClendon at Georgia showed me some interesting things, but at the end of the day his feet are just so heavy. His absolute ceiling is a Marcus Cannon, who can start but you're immediately looking for his replacement. God only makes so many people who are built for this job, ya know?

So, I've said for awhile that I like OTs Wright and Steen more than most, Harrison and Mauch less than most, and I just don't get it with Bergeron or Freeland as high-end prospects. After a deeper dive looking at OT prospects, not too much has changed.
  • OT1: Skoronski: could he play guard? Sure. But what a waste that would be. If nearly perfect technique can't make up for the missing 5/8ths of an inch of arm length, then...I don't know what. He's better than I thought he was at first glance.
  • OT2: Johnson. Honestly, I think it's Wright on pure merit, but I don't think he'll be the 2nd OT taken. Paris Johnson is already very good, and a ton of upside.
  • OT3: Wright. Precision beats power, and timing beats speed. It's funny, you don't expect him to move as fluidly as he does. He doesn't seem as much of an effortly athletic big guy as either of the Joneses, but he's always moving in the right direction. If he's not a total film junky, his instincts are remarkable. Plenty of power. Change of direction looks painful and difficult, but he's rarely out of position. Lateral movement isn't first rate, but he still wins, even against competition with elite quickness. For some reason it seems to impact him in the run game, but not as much in pass pro. I think he doesn't have elite lateral quickness, but he makes up for it by rarely making a false step. I do have a question about how much Tennessee's offense (and Hooker at the helm) impacts what we see on tape.
  • OT4/5: Broderick/Dawand Jones. So much athleticism and upside with these two. Both need some work on fundamentals. Both bend at the waist too much. Dawand relies too much on overwhelming defenders with his size and strength and wings, which could inhibit his development. But still, God didn't make too many people built like that. I don't have strong opinions on Broderick Jones. He got the job done, but both Georgia tackles got a lot of benefit from all-world TE talent next to them much of the time.
  • OT6: Okay, maybe Harrison goes here. Dude has the power he needs, but is soft. He doesn't fit the gap run scheme, as he prefers to use angles, motion, sliding in the run blocking game. He's a smooth lateral mover, but the amount of room he gives up on the inside will kill him at the pro level. He's energetic, but no mean streak. When facing bigger DL he slides off his blocks, and for someone who displays so much balance in other aspects of the game, he ends up on the ground too often. He's a tick slow on stunts and games and blitzes - reaction isn't intuitive. Dominating big 12 college speed rushers is all well and good, but NFL rushers have size behind speed to power, and use double moves regularly. I smell a frustrating talent who is good until his first welcome to the NFL moment, after which he plays with his ballsack inverted.
  • OT7: Steen. No idea why he doesn't get more love. If we didn't have another OT by round 3 I'd worry about losing him before round 4. If we already have an OT, I'd love to grab him in round 4 or 5 to double up on the position, especially if the OT we have is Wright or Dawand Jones, who may end up on the right side. Steen doesn't have elite LT quickness, but he has enough, and it looks to me like he's strongly left handed - would underperform on the right side. I don't see many mental mistakes, and he's good with stunts and games on the DL. He gets a little fuzzy in the wash on the 2nd level in the running game unless he has a clear path, but that's coachable.
  • OT8 (OG1-4): Mauch. He's dirty, nasty, quick, powerful and subtle in the run game. He's not at his best when he has to control the corner, though he has the speed to do it. His heavy shoulders make his short arms more of a problem than they do for Skoronski. He could be an excellent guard, but I don't think he's a left tackle. His functional strength doesn't match his strong bench numbers (partially symptomatic of short arms). Excellent quickness, but struggles against bull rush and speed to power. Bends too much at the waist, and drops his head too much and too often, especially when dealing with power. His quickness serves him well against pure speed rush to the corner, and he has elite change of direction. He could be a world-beater at guard navigating the mess on the 2nd level with agility, straight line power, and a mean streak. He'd also be a great 3rd tackle/OT eligible.
  • OT9 Duncan: A ton of upside with Duncan if he can stop setting so high in pass pro and coming off the line high in the running game. He's a tremendous athlete, and his instincts seem good. He clearly loves run blocking, but needs technique work. An older prospect after 5 years at Maryland, I wonder how easily he can overcome his habits at this point. I would have rated him higher after his junior year than I do now.
  • OT10: Freeland: A great athlete for sure, and I'm not going to say there isn't potential there. There is. But he plays high, is too light for his 6'8" frame, and his center of gravity is high. His technique in the run game is excellent. His technique in pass pro is reasonably good. But he oversets to the outside constantly, is susceptible to power, especially low power, looks awkward and uncomfortable moving, especially backing up in pass pro. His CoD metrics are amazing, yet he is horrible at getting back inside when he's pass setting to take the corner away, and all his power is lost in the transition. It looks like he has exactly zero instincts for the position. That said...his tape as a senior vs as a junior vs as a sophomore show a clear progression. I don't think he's an instant starter, but if he adds some mass (especially in his lower body) and practices doing everything from a low crouch to drop his anchor, he could evolve into an NFL tackle with a specialization in protecting the corner against speed rushers. If he's a true lifetime learner/beginner's mind type, he could be excellent. But to me it looks like another case of a guy shooting up the boards because of the combine. He might be very good someday, but I don't want it to be with the Patriots.
  • OT11: Bergeron: Nope. Not an elite prospect in any way I can see. His athleticism is fine, and just fine. His production was questionable, and against ACC competition. He's great off the snap, quick and powerful first step. But his functional strength badly trails his tested strength, he doesn't have the elite quickness to deal with top-end speed rushers, and still has the bad habits of waist-bending, oversetting, and dropping his head. His arms are barely longer than Skoronski's and Mauch's, but for some reason no one sees it as a problem with Bergeron. I'd take him in the 4th round as a flyer if he falls and the board is against us. I see his ceiling as a backup swing OT, like Yod the Bod, and his current high standing will cause the QBs he's protecting to take some serious damage before a coaching staff figures this out. It just seems like someone initially put him in with the high-end prospects on Day 2 and anchoring theory just held him there.
There aren't a ton of guys I think could play NFL OT beyond those 11. Wanya Morris out of OU could be a RT or either guard, especially for a zone blocking team, and he also sports some upside with some very nice physical metrics and not a ton of experience. A good coach could bring something out of him. Jordan McFadden at Clemson and Dalton Wagner at Arkansas have some nice traits that could be coached into usefulness. McClendon at Georgia showed me some interesting things, but at the end of the day his feet are just so heavy. His absolute ceiling is a Marcus Cannon, who can start but you're immediately looking for his replacement. God only makes so many people who are built for this job, ya know?
Looks like a big effort there,,
I wouldn’t know how to define Harrison, so good on you. Best I can say is he looks like a project.
I like Duncan, just so athletic.
i wouldn’t be surprised if the Pats picked up Freeland in the late rounds, his measurables are very similar to Volmers and Solders.
Agree on Bergeron, don’t see it but I also know I don’t know .

Great post. Thank you.

I'm still deciding what I think, but the only one that wows me is Darnell Wright. He's got everything I want in a tackle, although I don't know whether he can comfortably
switch over to LT and show the same skills he does at RT. One thing that I noted watching him is that while most of these guys bend too much at the waste, he can and does "bow his back"
to anchor and doesn't have to think about it. I don't see him leaning forward much at all. He's got a naturally NFL- strong body and is not a rocked-up gym guy. I think NFL bull rushers will be wasting their time trying to get him on skates, but it's his ability to dance and mirror with power against the speed guys that makes him a pleasure to watch. His recovery ability after a juke or missed step is outstanding. Repeat, out-standing. His kick-slide looks a little high and choppy until you notice how much turf he eats up with his feet and yet he uses smarts and balance to get himself in great position to defuse his opponent. He's maybe a little unconventional, but he's the dictator -not the other guy. Scouts now like to to talk about whether or not a
prospect has his hands and feet in phase and Wright absolutely does that. He's got a great-but-subtle way of punching that prevents guys from getting over on him. He's powerful, but it's
a controlled power that doesn't leave him out over his skis. I've yet to see him lunge and whiff. Dude always has an idea and it's almost always correct.

I see him as an instant starter who will be solid as a rookie and a multiple pro-bowl guy before his rookie contract is up. The kid just has it.

By comparison, Dawand Jones is scary in multiple ways. I don't know how many times I've seen him do his patented "Hulk Smash" move where he gets his paws on a rusher's shoulder
pads up by the neck and throws him right down on his face like a High-School Bully bouncing a nerd off a water bubbler. He does it regularly. .Jones has surprising quickness out of his stance -- partially because it's hard to imagine something that big moving at all, but that's where things get sketchy. Jones has the worst kick-slide I've seen since Billy Yates. His feet actually cross at times. A veteran rusher like Kahlil Mack, for instance, would see him off-balance and set him up like a giant bowling pin, but I'm not entirely sure it really matters in Dawand's case. He might be able to get away with major technique issues that would doom an average-sized Tackle. I still think he can be big time, but I can see a lot of flags in his future because he always has his hands around the other guy's neck and facemask. If he works at his kick-slide and wants to improve then he could be tremendous, but, as I already said, he's scary. I wondered if he just plays against
tiny opponents until I looked it up. He makes a typical NFL-sized edge guy or DE look like a big Safety.

It's not hard for me to picture him lining up next to Onwenu and caving in half of the front 7 on the regular. He's not only the most dominant run blocker in this Draft he could be
one of the best the league has ever seen. Hulk. Smash.

Speaking of Onwenu, I have considered that he might be cool with a switch back to RT with his contract coming up for obvious reasons. I could learn to
live with Skoronski easily, but, in his case, I think the question marks about him having to move inside might be legit. Inside, I love him. Maybe that will be the play or
even substitute one of O'Cyrus Torrence or Steve Avila to hopefully achieve the same thing with a smaller investment. I wouldn't rule Skoronski out at Tackle, but this
would be a good time to get creative to solve the issues we all saw and never want to see again.

Great post. Thank you.

I'm still deciding what I think, but the only one that wows me is Darnell Wright. He's got everything I want in a tackle, although I don't know whether he can comfortably
switch over to LT and show the same skills he does at RT. One thing that I noted watching him is that while most of these guys bend too much at the waste, he can and does "bow his back"
to anchor and doesn't have to think about it. I don't see him leaning forward much at all. He's got a naturally NFL- strong body and is not a rocked-up gym guy. I think NFL bull rushers will be wasting their time trying to get him on skates, but it's his ability to dance and mirror with power against the speed guys that makes him a pleasure to watch. His recovery ability after a juke or missed step is outstanding. Repeat, out-standing. His kick-slide looks a little high and choppy until you notice how much turf he eats up with his feet and yet he uses smarts and balance to get himself in great position to defuse his opponent. He's maybe a little unconventional, but he's the dictator -not the other guy. Scouts now like to to talk about whether or not a
prospect has his hands and feet in phase and Wright absolutely does that. He's got a great-but-subtle way of punching that prevents guys from getting over on him. He's powerful, but it's
a controlled power that doesn't leave him out over his skis. I've yet to see him lunge and whiff. Dude always has an idea and it's almost always correct.

I see him as an instant starter who will be solid as a rookie and a multiple pro-bowl guy before his rookie contract is up. The kid just has it.

By comparison, Dawand Jones is scary in multiple ways. I don't know how many times I've seen him do his patented "Hulk Smash" move where he gets his paws on a rusher's shoulder
pads up by the neck and throws him right down on his face like a High-School Bully bouncing a nerd off a water bubbler. He does it regularly. .Jones has surprising quickness out of his stance -- partially because it's hard to imagine something that big moving at all, but that's where things get sketchy. Jones has the worst kick-slide I've seen since Billy Yates. His feet actually cross at times. A veteran rusher like Kahlil Mack, for instance, would see him off-balance and set him up like a giant bowling pin, but I'm not entirely sure it really matters in Dawand's case. He might be able to get away with major technique issues that would doom an average-sized Tackle. I still think he can be big time, but I can see a lot of flags in his future because he always has his hands around the other guy's neck and facemask. If he works at his kick-slide and wants to improve then he could be tremendous, but, as I already said, he's scary. I wondered if he just plays against
tiny opponents until I looked it up. He makes a typical NFL-sized edge guy or DE look like a big Safety.

It's not hard for me to picture him lining up next to Onwenu and caving in half of the front 7 on the regular. He's not only the most dominant run blocker in this Draft he could be
one of the best the league has ever seen. Hulk. Smash.

Speaking of Onwenu, I have considered that he might be cool with a switch back to RT with his contract coming up for obvious reasons. I could learn to
live with Skoronski easily, but, in his case, I think the question marks about him having to move inside might be legit. Inside, I love him. Maybe that will be the play or
even substitute one of O'Cyrus Torrence or Steve Avila to hopefully achieve the same thing with a smaller investment. I wouldn't rule Skoronski out at Tackle, but this
would be a good time to get creative to solve the issues we all saw and never want to see again.
Interesting, thanks.

I confess, I don't have a good understanding of how to scout an OL's hands. I usually just come back to whether what he does with his hands is effective, which often doesn't translate well. I look at feet, body positioning, balance, power, and ease-of-motion. But I don't know much about how to grade punch technique.

Interesting, thanks.

I confess, I don't have a good understanding of how to scout an OL's hands. I usually just come back to whether what he does with his hands is effective, which often doesn't translate well. I look at feet, body positioning, balance, power, and ease-of-motion. But I don't know much about how to grade punch technique.

People here probably give me more credit than I deserve, for sure. I just write what I see or what I don't. I am no OL expert and it can get
embarassing, but I enjoy watching and attempting to learn what it's all about. To those that give me props, thanks, but I should probably
point out that I loved Yodny Cajuste at WVU and thought we stole him in the Draft. Yeah, that didn't work out.

Far as punching goes, some guys just have heavy hands/arms and can deliver a wallop that jolts the rusher and some have trouble landing or timing that solid blow or don't
really get much done when they do land.

Conor McDermott helped us quite a bit when he came in here, but he's just not much of a puncher. He was decent because he can get in the way
pretty well which was more than I could say for the first 3 guys we tried at RT last season. On the other hand, Onwenu can absolutely rock a guy
or knock him flying when he lands, which isn't always accurate, but is very powerful when it is. He can hurt a guy.

It's no big mystery why that is because it's the same in martial arts or boxing. The power starts from the ground/feet up and the idea is to not to lose it along the way
through the core and through the arms/hands and where the blow lands is as key as the power in it. I still make fun of Billy Yates because he was supposed to be a weight
room star but he could barely slow anybody down when he was playing football. He was like a turnstile because, well, he didn't do anything correctly and was always
trying to play catch up and the staff just couldn't keep giving him reps the way he was playing. This is why I was concerned when he became one of our
OL coaches and the results weren't good. Maybe if you can't do you can still teach, but I had my doubts.

I still have prospects to watch to see if I can get an idea who they can be, but I keep ranting about Darnell Wright because he's one of the more interesting OL prospects
I can remember. This year's Jamaree Salyer, but with a much better body. He throws moves at the rusher to think about instead of just reacting and plays chess with them. Hardly
anybody does that in College. Or the pros, for that matter. He should be good.

Maybe I'll find one of the guys you like to be as good or better in the coming weeks, like Steen. You've got me curious about him.

People here probably give me more credit than I deserve, for sure. I just write what I see or what I don't. I am no OL expert and it can get
embarassing, but I enjoy watching and attempting to learn what it's all about. To those that give me props, thanks, but I should probably
point out that I loved Yodny Cajuste at WVU and thought we stole him in the Draft. Yeah, that didn't work out.

Far as punching goes, some guys just have heavy hands/arms and can deliver a wallop that jolts the rusher and some have trouble landing or timing that solid blow or don't
really get much done when they do land.

Conor McDermott helped us quite a bit when he came in here, but he's just not much of a puncher. He was decent because he can get in the way
pretty well which was more than I could say for the first 3 guys we tried at RT last season. On the other hand, Onwenu can absolutely rock a guy
or knock him flying when he lands, which isn't always accurate, but is very powerful when it is. He can hurt a guy.

It's no big mystery why that is because it's the same in martial arts or boxing. The power starts from the ground/feet up and the idea is to not to lose it along the way
through the core and through the arms/hands and where the blow lands is as key as the power in it. I still make fun of Billy Yates because he was supposed to be a weight
room star but he could barely slow anybody down when he was playing football. He was like a turnstile because, well, he didn't do anything correctly and was always
trying to play catch up and the staff just couldn't keep giving him reps the way he was playing. This is why I was concerned when he became one of our
OL coaches and the results weren't good. Maybe if you can't do you can still teach, but I had my doubts.

I still have prospects to watch to see if I can get an idea who they can be, but I keep ranting about Darnell Wright because he's one of the more interesting OL prospects
I can remember. This year's Jamaree Salyer, but with a much better body. He throws moves at the rusher to think about instead of just reacting and plays chess with them. Hardly
anybody does that in College. Or the pros, for that matter. He should be good.

Maybe I'll find one of the guys you like to be as good or better in the coming weeks, like Steen. You've got me curious about him.

We all appreciate your posts, Hawg! Keep them coming, please.

Speaking of Cajuste...

View: https://twitter.com/NestPgs/status/1643712467359485952

Also interested in another Robinson. This one's is a freak RB from Texas.

View: https://twitter.com/NestPgs/status/1643674953420554240

To answer the question, no, I wouldn't be happy with Robinson at 14. We've got enough in the backfield
with what we have, although I expect we'll take a RB at some point.

I knew he was supposed to be a freak, so I tuned into Texas a couple of times and never saw anything all that
special from Bijan. Sure, he's a smooth athlete, but I mostly just saw him getting hauled down by guys
that won't be playing on Sundays. I kept waiting for something amazing, but never saw it. If a guy is that
great I expect it to be obvious -- as it is with a lot of top College guys. A man-among-boys kind of thing.

I'm not saying he won't be a good player or is soft, but I liked Charbonnet from UCLA a little better because he was also big and fast, but runs
over more guys. I suppose that is a preference of mine based on the fact that Robinson won't see as many wide-open spaces in the
NFL.

For us, need has to be factored in. A mid first-rounder on a RB doesn't make sense for a team with Rhamondre and some depth in a
pretty deep class of RBs. Not to me.

Back