The NFL Draft, 2022

I have read and listened to several draft guru, most are saying that McDuffie has the highest floor of any of the CB in this draft. Which means that he can be a quality starter right off. Others have higher ceiling witch means they could be better but not right off or have boom or bust potential.

I just finished a Josh Paschal marathon. Pats' 2nd round pick? EDGE, Kentucky. An underrated player with great character.
9.7 RAS score and the 4th ranked EDGE player by PFF. 6'3", 270.

Edit: and Poof! just like that Gump has drafted him for the Pats as I was writing this!

I just finished a Josh Paschal marathon. Pats' 2nd round pick? EDGE, Kentucky. An underrated player with great character.
9.7 RAS score and the 4th ranked EDGE player by PFF. 6'3", 270.

Edit: and Poof! just like that Gump has drafted him for the Pats as I was writing this!
I hope they draft him, he is exactly what this line could use with Barmore and judon

Ridgeway looks like a good player, what round do you think he goes in?
I'm at the stage of lining up the round versus the need. Want fast DBs earliest. Need a NT that's worthwhile and not a late round throw in.

No earlier than the 5th, between how I've seen him ranked and how guys like him usually are viewed in the draft. He could be a 7th. It seems like no DLs go
earlier without having some element of a pass-rushing threat, even though I could argue that there are very few interior DLs that really contribute much in that
area. Perhaps it's me, but we've drafted long snappers and punters in the 5th round, so I don't think it's a bad idea to spend that kind of a pick to get a guy that
can help shore up the middle for the nouveau power-running attacks that we're starting to see in the league.

Fine job. I have my eye on Ezeudu and he could help somebody soon. I had heard that Guard was a weak spot in this Draft, but I'm seeing some solid talent that won't require
a huge investment. I see no likely scenario for us to get three 2nds as you have, but there should be some guys will skills. You addressed many of our needs with plausible
prospects.

Lazar's Top 50 Patriots Board in tiers to insure several choices in each round.

Lazar, Perry, and Curran have been putting up good stuff the last couple months on the draft. I generally agree with their overall assessments aside from WR.

1. The way I see this draft, is there are several elite/starter-level DBacks and then a cliff drop, so if one of them is available at #21, I think the Pats have to go Daxton Hill, McDuffie, or Stingley if they are there. I won't split hairs on which of these 3 to take but these are the starter-level rookies I think who can play snaps immediately. Daxton Hill is the closest McCourty clone in a decade, can play corner as a rookie then replace McCourty at FS. McDuffie is a coach-level smart CB with coverage skills, Stingley is injury prone but has a pro bowl talent CB ceiling. I screened out other guys, I'm looking for press man-coverage DBacks who can also tackle. (Pats type DBacks).

2. I would not go NT first, as the Pats can get a big fat run-stuffing NT later in the draft. I like Davis and he's a physical freak, but his run stuffing is above average, not super elite. The Pats don't need a 3down pass rushing NT. We just need a run stuffing NT for 1st down and short yardage /goal-line defense. Definitely have to fix NT but don't need to burn our 1st on it. Rest of the DLine will settle better with Barmore next to a huge NT and then play Guy/Godcrap at the other DLine spot. I really like picking massive McCall much later in the draft, even if it means picking a round earlier than projected to get him.

3. I'm not a fan of crappy Bentley returning but I also don't want to burn the 1st pick on a LB given the bigger DBack needs. The only LB who would fit for me is Chenal if he's there in the 2nd round. Great instincts, physical and tough. I'm not worried that he can't cover. We play a ton of nickel, already have 3 box safeties who can play some LB and also cover, and other young LBs who redshirted. I'm passing on these tiny fast LBs, they don't fit the Pats, would rather plug Phillips / Dugger / Peppers for a similar role when needed.

4. Would be looking for a right guard in the middle to late rounds who can play right away. Since Onwenu has been an elite NFL right tackle for 2 years now, and RG is easier to fill than a starting offensive tackle, my new 2022 OLine would be the following:
TBrown - Wynn - Andrews - [Rookie] - Onwenu.

5. I wouldn't burn a pick on a WR. Already too many pass catchers than spots/snaps available with Devante, Meyers, Bourne, Agholor, Henry, Smith, and James White.

In combining Pats team needs with what should be there on the draft board for this year's talent, I would generally see if we end up going DBack first, and then maybe LB if Chenal there 2nd, and then spread multiple RG or NT picks and hope a candidate pans out for interior OLine and Nose Tackle.

Last edited:
Lazar, Perry, and Curran have been putting up good stuff the last couple months on the draft. I generally agree with their overall assessments aside from WR.

1. The way I see this draft, is there are several elite/starter-level DBacks and then a cliff drop, so if one of them is available at #21, I think the Pats have to go Daxton Hill, McDuffie, or Stingley if they are there. I won't split hairs on which of these 3 to take but these are the starter-level rookies I think who can play snaps immediately. Daxton Hill is the closest McCourty clone in a decade, can play corner as a rookie then replace McCourty at FS. McDuffie is a coach-level smart CB with coverage skills, Stingley is injury prone but has a pro bowl talent CB ceiling. I screened out other guys, I'm looking for press man-coverage DBacks who can also tackle. (Pats type DBacks).

2. I would not go NT first, as the Pats can get a big fat run-stuffing NT later in the draft. I like Davis and he's a physical freak, but his run stuffing is above average, not super elite. The Pats don't need a 3down pass rushing NT. We just need a run stuffing NT for 1st down and short yardage /goal-line defense. Definitely have to fix NT but don't need to burn our 1st on it. Rest of the DLine will settle better with Barmore next to a huge NT and then play Guy/Godcrap at the other DLine spot. I really like picking massive McCall much later in the draft, even if it means picking a round earlier than projected to get him.

3. I'm not a fan of crappy Bentley returning but I also don't want to burn the 1st pick on a LB given the bigger DBack needs. The only LB who would fit for me is Chenal if he's there in the 2nd round. Great instincts, physical and tough. I'm not worried that he can't cover. We play a ton of nickel, already have 3 box safeties who can play some LB and also cover, and other young LBs who redshirted. I'm passing on these tiny fast LBs, they don't fit the Pats, would rather plug Phillips / Dugger / Peppers for a similar role when needed.

4. Would be looking for a right guard in the middle to late rounds who can play right away. Since Onwenu has been an elite NFL right tackle for 2 years now, and RG is easier to fill than a starting offensive tackle, my new 2022 OLine would be the following:

5. I wouldn't burn a pick on a WR. Already too many pass catchers than spots/snaps available with Devante, Meyers, Bourne, Agholor, Henry, Smith, and James White.

In combining Pats team needs with what should be there on the draft board for this year's talent, I would generally see if we end up going DBack first, and then maybe LB if Chenal there 2nd, and then spread multiple RG or NT picks and hope a candidate pans out for interior OLine and Nose Tackle.
Well done.

Good post and I'm pretty sure that most here agree with you every step of the way if BB doesn't trade back with 21 (but that's what I think he would like to do unless his valued player is there).

Last edited:
@DropKickFlutie - Not sure if you have been here long. I know you from PatsFans and enjoyed your posts over there. I hope you stick around here. Really enjoy your takes/football insights.

5 days out and I still haven't settled on a clear cut pick at 21. If McDuffie is there or Lloyd is there I would be inclined to pull the trigger on either. Otherwise I'd inclined to trade down into the 2nd and pick up additional picks.

I would burn a pick on a legit slot receiver. There are several that could be had fron the 2nd to 4th.

5 days out and I still haven't settled on a clear cut pick at 21. If McDuffie is there or Lloyd is there I would be inclined to pull the trigger on either. Otherwise I'd inclined to trade down into the 2nd and pick up additional picks.

Lloyd is light and that bothers me. He's only 12-15 lbs heavier than Dugger and Dugger is already a Patriot with a lot of experience.

Good post and I'm pretty sure that most here agree with you every step of the way if BB doesn't trade back with 21 (but that's what I think he would like to do unless his valued player is there).
I would like to see BB trade back, but that might not be possible this year with just about everyone in the world agreeing there is only a dozen or so first-round worthy players, then a big bunch or roughly equal-value players. I always, like everyone else, say, just trade down. But it takes two to trade, and there might not be many takers and if there are any, those trading down won't get the chart trade value they are used to be getting.

I would like to see BB trade back, but that might not be possible this year with just about everyone in the world agreeing there is only a dozen or so first-round worthy players, then a big bunch or roughly equal-value players. I always, like everyone else, say, just trade down. But it takes two to trade, and there might not be many takers and if there are any, those trading down won't get the chart trade value they are used to be getting.

Trade back made more sense 20 years ago when 1st round picks got huge terrible contracts and 2nd rounders had great value. That's changed completely. With the rookie scale, getting an impact 1st rounder on a cheap contract is gold. Should adjust draft strategy and thinking based on the evolving league. This is another reason to go DBack first. Can find a cheap NT or LB later but a truly great DBack on a 1st round rookie contract has great value.

Trade back made more sense 20 years ago when 1st round picks got huge terrible contracts and 2nd rounders had great value. That's changed completely. With the rookie scale, getting an impact 1st rounder on a cheap contract is gold. Should adjust draft strategy and thinking based on the evolving league. This is another reason to go DBack first. Can find a cheap NT or LB later but a truly great DBack on a 1st round rookie contract has great value.
Good point - those high first round picks were absurd and a top five pick that didn't work out was a team buster, but I still think when you get past the few true impact players in any year's draft and into the homogenous mass of roughly equal players, trading back makes far and away the most sense. Now or then.

Back