The Nick Saban - Jimbo Fisher scrap

Roberto71

Reaction score
This is interesting. Saban basically threw a tantrum to accuse Texas A&M and Jackson State of buying players with NIL money....

The pushback was fierce and Saban has come out of this badly. It comes across as Saban being sore because Texas came away with the highest-ranked recruiting class.

What are folks thoughts about this?

Everybody knows everybody else is buying players one way or another. Hiding it is the key.
Once in a while someone gets a little too arrogant about it and the veil comes down exposing the pay for play game to the public. It's very bad PR for college football. That's what Saban called out about A&M. A&M crowed too loudly about its recruiting class. It became too blatant.

Saban has been buying players for years and he knows everyone else does, too. He doesn't give a crap about that - as long as it stays behind closed doors.

Think of it as a reprimand from Saban for letting the cat out of the bag. It was also a warning that "higher authorities" would have no option other than a full blown public investigation if the arrogance continued.

Saban knew his comments would draw fire in return but the blatant disregard for keeping the recruiting game hush-hush became too open to anyone who looked.
His message got through.
Now on with business as usual.

I'm assuming what is now happening under NIL is this. College A goes to hotshot recruit Joe Bloggs and says, we believe you will earn X from NIL revenue during your college career we are therefore going to pay that to you upfront and then we will simply net this off any actual earnings you get during your career under NIL. That's not what NIL is supposed to be doing but surely it's a given that this is what's happening? Colleges are front-loading this payment and by doing this, they can really come up with any figure they like to entice the player.

I'm assuming what is now happening under NIL is this. College A goes to hotshot recruit Joe Bloggs and says, we believe you will earn X from NIL revenue during your college career we are therefore going to pay that to you upfront and then we will simply net this off any actual earnings you get during your career under NIL. That's not what NIL is supposed to be doing but surely it's a given that this is what's happening? Colleges are front-loading this payment and by doing this, they can really come up with any figure they like to entice the player.

Colleges are paying cash advances?

Colleges are paying cash advances?

I'm making an assumption this could be happening and Saban is seeing Texas and others doing this. In other words, if you come to our college we'll commit to paying you $XXX as we believe this is what you will get from NIL. And here's a cash advance on that payment for your mom to refit her kitchen etc etc

I'm making an assumption this could be happening and Saban is seeing Texas and others doing this. In other words, if you come to our college we'll commit to paying you $XXX as we believe this is what you will get from NIL. And here's a cash advance on that payment for your mom to refit her kitchen etc etc

I doubt the colleges will be paying the players directly. Instead, they will line up the off campus NIL deals and present them to the recruits as done deals as part of the recruitment. "This will be your stadium, tutors and the car dealer deal. And and the NIL comes with a new Vette."

I doubt the colleges will be paying the players directly. Instead, they will line up the off campus NIL deals and present them to the recruits as done deals as part of the recruitment. "This will be your stadium, tutors and the car dealer deal. And and the NIL comes with a new Vette."

Probably more likely for sure.

Somewhere Ron Meyer is laughing his ass off, for being 40 years ahead of his time. :coffee:

Back