The Official Real Life Happens PP Member Support Thread

Tough spot... I love Anni's advice, and it obviously worked for him. What I would do is play along with your current job, but at the same time keep your eyes open for a job that fits you. When you do find that job be honest with your current employer, give him notice...If you were single I would just quite, but obviously your wife still ways heavily in your decision even though she is not living with you most of the time and has bailed on your relationship, and playing wishy washy crap...

Short enough. I'm fairly confident I can 'fudge it' just because of how the information is collected/stored. Seriously sucks having to do that, but I don't have much choice, and I can certainly make up the shortfall later since adding to that number is meant to be an ongoing duty. I actually think I could do a decent job at this once back from training, but the stress of the initial 250 (= roughly 3000 calls over 3 weeks) on top of everything else was a problem. That said, I'm fairly sure I won't want to stay.

I've considered bringing this to my boss and telling him I'm not ready for training class and ask to be delayed until next month. Problem is, I'd probably still lose the $300 airfare (reimbursed after class) and I'm giving very late notice. At least I'd be honest. While he's an understanding and nice guy, he would also be within his rights to let me go so it is a risk.

My plan was to just try and get through the training while faking interest and hope for the best when I get back. At least I wouldn't have to worry about finances while looking elsewhere, but I'm not sure how long I could last.

Meh, anyway, guess I'll just stop thinking long-term and just try to look at the few positives one day at a time. Thanks.

I'm an insurance agent/broker so I'm familiar with some of what you are going through. I'm in the commercial area though so it's a little different. Is the product that you will be selling an exclusive sort of thing like an allstate or state farm? Is it a superior product to a lot of others out there with comparable premiums? I found that the "sales" part is more palatable when you're actually providing a good product for the price.

You're in a tough spot, I wish you all the luck with whatever you decide.

This is not advice by any stretch of the imagination, but I was in a similar situation to you back in 2001. I had a job managing two retail outlets in both of the Minneapolis airports. I absolutely hated the job (despised, really) even though it paid pretty well. I was just burned out on retail and the extra things that sucked about the job (having to go through airport security every day, no on-site parking so had to bus it to work, nowhere to get away from asshole travelers, etc.).

So one day I had enough and quit. Put in my notice. I had no job and didn't really care. I felt freer than I had in several years.

Two weeks later I got a call from a temp agency and got an entry level job for the company I currently work for 12 years later. The pay was about half of what I was making, but the job was cool and fun. I'm now the 2nd most senior member of my team, work from home and get up five minutes before my shift starts.

Sometimes you have to do what's best for your soul rather than your pocketbook. I firmly believe that.

This!
Posted via Mobile Device

I'm an insurance agent/broker so I'm familiar with some of what you are going through. I'm in the commercial area though so it's a little different. Is the product that you will be selling an exclusive sort of thing like an allstate or state farm? Is it a superior product to a lot of others out there with comparable premiums? I found that the "sales" part is more palatable when you're actually providing a good product for the price.

You're in a tough spot, I wish you all the luck with whatever you decide.

Ya, I'm in an agency for an exclusive carrier. I'm actually quite impressed with the company as a whole. Its principles and way of doing business were a pleasant surprise for me. As for the product itself - I think the value is there and, unlike student jobs in retail, I do have faith in what I'm selling.

I just don't think sales are what I want to do long-term. I enjoyed it as a student and was quite successful, but it was also a different type of sales. Even though I often convinced people to buy things they didn't intend to buy, I wasn't expected to find clients. They generally came to me and it was my job to close them. There will be some of that here and for that I am quite confident. I've developed numerous strategies/plans to partner with a few local small businesses (referrals) and I'm working on a comprehensive social media strategy to target a market in which my company has little presence. So I've been taking it seriously overall, but I guess it just slowly dawned on me that I was kidding myself to believe I'd want to be in sales long-term. Not because there's something wrong with sales, but because I've always had other interests. Moreover, cold calling is tough for me (my personality) and makes work feel like a chore. It's my fault for taking this on though.

And thanks everyone. It's nice to get perspective from people who have 'been there, done that'.

Lily had a set back today. She's okay but had an appointment yesterday to check counts and discuss the port removal. They decided she was healthy enough to have a flu shot. Well today her temp spiked within an hour from 98.9 to 102 and a trip to the emergency room. Just got back she's okay but still not sure what exactly happened. Spent 6 hours in the ER with her, but temp is normal. Shes still not exactly right, but home. Wish us luck and what not tomorrow.

Supposed to go to my uncles funeral guess I won't be making it.

~Dee~

Lily had a set back today. She's okay but had an appointment yesterday to check counts and discuss the port removal. They decided she was healthy enough to have a flu shot. Well today her temp spiked within an hour from 98.9 to 102 and a trip to the emergency room. Just got back she's okay but still not sure what exactly happened. Spent 6 hours in the ER with her, but temp is normal. Shes still not exactly right, but home. Wish us luck and what not tomorrow.

~Dee~
Thinking of and praying for you and yours dee

~Dee~

Dee- our thoughts and prayers to you and Lily.

Her temps are stabilized. Thanks all, scary stuff and the hardest part of being her primary care taker. I don't know what I would have done had something happened to her during my watch.

RoadNasty did you get my PM? Not rushing you just want to make sure I didn't mesh up.

~Dee~

Her temps are stabilized. Thanks all, scary stuff and the hardest part of being her primary care taker. I don't know what I would have done had something happened to her during my watch.

RoadNasty did you get my PM? Not rushing you just want to make sure I didn't mesh up.

~Dee~

Dee- hi - yes I got one about 2 weeks ago from you. I replied but didn't hear if you got the pictures I sent- I can re send anytime if needed of course!

Dee- hi - yes I got one about 2 weeks ago from you. I replied but didn't hear if you got the pictures I sent- I can re send anytime if needed of course!

Sorry I didn't get the pictures would you mind trying again

Thanks so much

~Dee~

~Dee~

So happy to hear things are better Dee. You are both still in my thoughts.

Well I chatted with a friend of mine who makes 6 figures for a company in Conn, and he basically wants me to be one of their Sales Rep. I'll be looking up to 150k a year... I'm mind blown right now... He basically said he helped build the company and the owner and him are really good friends and all I have to say yes to a interview, and he will work out the arrangement's..

One drawback I haven't played golf in 4 years and I'm am sure to be rusty...:coffee:

Need advice... I'm thinking my Short game should be the first thing to work on...

Well I chatted with a friend of mine who makes 6 figures for a company in Conn, and he basically wants me to be one of their Sales Rep. I'll be looking up to 150k a year... I'm mind blown right now... He basically said he helped build the company and the owner and him are really good friends and all I have to say yes to a interview, and he will work out the arrangement's..

One drawback I haven't played golf in 4 years and I'm am sure to be rusty...:coffee:

Need advice... I'm thinking my Short game should be the first thing to work on...

Nice, play with your putter for a while and you should be all set

Back