The Official Vince Wilfork 1 Man D-Line Thread

harrisonhits

NFL Can GFY
Reaction score
I was watching the homer shows on CSNNE last night, and in one of them they highlighted a play by big Vince against the Bills that may have been most monster play I've ever seen by a D-lineman.

Vince was the only down lineman on the play. He came out of his stance, spread his arms wide and took out all 3 of the middle O-linemen. Not only did he take them out, HE F'ING BULLRUSHED ALL 3 backwards into the right tackle who had dropped back and literally took out 4 O-linemen by himself on that play !!!

I've been watching the NFL for something like 45 years and I've never seen any D-lineman single handedly take out 4 of the other team's O-line like that. Ever.

4 O-linemen. 1 Vince Wilfork.

If I was an O-lineman on one of the teams we're going to face in the playoffs and saw that play in the filmroom I would pretty well feel like :suicide:

V Dub is the best in the business. So much so that I'm still not really sure how good Jerod Mayo is. Mayo should give Vince 25% of everything he earns on his next contract. If I were an opposing OLman, I'd break into cold sweats at night getting ready to face New England.

If there's any film of this I'd love to see it...

<<
If there's any film of this I'd love to see it...
>>

I think it was Patriots Football Weekly they discussed the play on. But it was definitely on one of the Quick Slants / PFW / NE Tailgate trio of shows, and Comcast reruns them repeatedly on Friday and Saturday. In fact I have PFW on again now for lack of anything better, so I'll see if I can pinpoint where they discuss it for you.

They actually were only talking about Vince taking out the front three, but when you watch the play you see him show the other 3 guys back into the RT and taking out the 4th.

Here is the video, starting at about 3:05.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/iqhlXnKIbHw?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/iqhlXnKIbHw?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

082009_GRIMACE.jpg

:coffee:

Eh it wasn't PFW, maybe it was NE Sports Tonight or Tailgate. I'll keep the cnnne drone going until it comes up and i can find it.

No one I would want on the D line more than Big Vin or Hiloti Ngata [of the Ravens].

One thing I love about VW is that he is smart.

He doesn't just push the O-line backwards. A lot of players can do that. He pushes them in the right direction. And he knows when to disengage and look for the running back.

The man has an innate ability to sense in which direction to move the lineman, how far to move them before looking for the runner, where to push in order to give his teammates a chance to run to the RB/QB, and where a hole will open up so as to disengage and clog it. It's a fascinating thing to watch, it really is.

...and after doing all that, he sticks up a big mitt and bats down a pass...his vision is as amazing as are his physical abilities...

Love 'em, well worth the money and contract. IMO the best DT in the business. I might know what play you're talking about and might have seen it but it's pretty damn impressive. Mind you, BUF's O-line isn't too great anyway, but that's just total domination by Big Vin.

A four gapper. Both c/g gaps. Both g/t gaps. Seriously, losing R. Brace hurts. Hope the rest can play. Could start G. Warren - V. Wilfork - B. Deaderick. That might be good enough vs the run. Need M. Wright to get healthy. Wright and Pryor provide a decent interior pass rush. I think a two gap 3-4 de is our top target in the draft. Then, a 3-4 olb.

<<
Seriously, losing R. Brace hurts. Hope the rest can play. Need M. Wright to get healthy. Wright and Pryor provide a decent interior pass rush
>>

I would hope we'll get at least one or two of the hurt guys back for the playoffs. They'll sit again this week, and no game next week so plenty of time to heal up.

He's having his best year ever to my untrained eye. How many NTs can move to DE? How many 2-gap 3-4 guys lined up at the NT position make PLAYS...not occupy guys...but even while being blocked somehow have the instincts to snake their arm out of there some kind of way and alter the path of the ballcarrier enough to stop him or to reroute him to a teammate. He's a straight beast. Worth every single dime. Note to Haynesworth...THAT is how you play after getting a contract. THAT is how you move around to different positions and flat out be a baller without complaint.

Love played well today...Ninkovitch, too. Moore is a monster; love that guy.

Love has been a pleasant surprise since he's basically our last choice D-lineman and only playing because of so many injuries. He's taken good advantage of the opportunities he's had the last two games.

Vince had another play today where he pushed back three Olinemen at once, and multiple plays where he was bullrushing two Olinemen at the same time successfully. He's a freaking Terminator out there.

One thing I love about VW is that he is smart.

He doesn't just push the O-line backwards. A lot of players can do that. He pushes them in the right direction. And he knows when to disengage and look for the running back.

The man has an innate ability to sense in which direction to move the lineman, how far to move them before looking for the runner, where to push in order to give his teammates a chance to run to the RB/QB, and where a hole will open up so as to disengage and clog it. It's a fascinating thing to watch, it really is.

It is fascinating. I agree.

Vince can control just about anybody with his hands and long arms and he sheds them easily when the time is right. He really knows what he is doing and has a big effect on the LOS with his strength, smarts and quickness. Stats don't show how much he dominates.

The history of free agency is filled with the names of guys who signed for big money and then disappeared, but Vince seems to work harder than ever. He competes because he doesn't know any other way to play. His heart is as big as his massive frame.

The flag on him was BS he only touched his helmet when he fell on him. He lead with His shoulder all the way to the ground then his helmet touched thigpen helmet.

Back