The Patriots' 2024 Off Season Thread

Is there any part of this where he says 'Our offer wasn't high enough'? Because that's why he signed somewhere else.
Been reported that another team thinks the amount paid for Ridley was absurd .

To get Ridley here would more than what the Titans paid.

Patscap's Patriots Cap Space Number is in Bio
@patscap

Breaking down Patriots free agency
Signed fifteen. Tagged Kyle Dugger.
No one was signed past the 2026 season.
All 15 signed free agents have an offseason workout bonus in their deals.
Thirteen have active roster bonuses.
Eleven have incentives.
Michael Onwenu has a weight bonus

That is the thing that sticks out to me, specially when people say they just need to focus on O and don't get any defensive players, besides Gonzalez, that entire side of the ball maybe turned over by the end of the '26 season.

EDIT: I actually meant, the START of the '26 season.

Last edited:
To get Ridley here would more than what the Titans paid.
It would have. Oddly enough the Patriots have more than enough money to do it, and still have 30 million left over.

TRUTH talk from Matthew Slater on Edelman's Games With Names Pod Cast :lecture::e34b:

It would be great if Jules and Slates did a joint Podcast. I think it would be a huge hit. They're best friends and former roomies for years when they were at the Patriots and I think the chemistry would be great and it would be a show that would have no problems getting top guests on. You;d want to go on a show with those two.

The Athletic asks NFL FO execs about the best and worst of Free Agency.
Their comments on the Patriots...

New England Patriots

APY added: $31.5M (22nd) | APY lost: $24.7M (27th) | APY differential: $6.8M (16th)

The Patriots did not add or lose much in their first offseason in a quarter century without Bill Belichick at the controls.

“It just seemed like they missed out on everyone,” one exec said.

Patriots owner Robert Kraft indicated the team tried and failed to land Calvin Ridley. He suggested the Patriots’ unsettled quarterback situation might have played a role, which was interesting, given that Ridley signed with a team featuring Will Levis, Mason Rudolph and Malik Willis behind center.

“Kraft mentions the (state income) taxes, the quarterback, the player’s girlfriend and then he mentioned the money,” an exec said. “The reality is, if the dollar net taxes was higher in New England than in Tennessee, they would have gotten the player. It’s like Kraft can’t live in a world where he is looked at as the problem.”

Journeyman quarterback Jacoby Brissett was the highest-priced free agent ($8 million) the Patriots added.

“The head coach came out early in the offseason and said, ‘We have a lot of money to spend, and we are going to spend it,'” another exec said. “Then he had to walk the comment back. Then they lose out on the receiver after their GM says they have no speed on offense. So you have the two highest appointed people in the organization saying they are going to spend and they are going to prioritize speed, and then they do neither. What the hell?”

The Athletic asks NFL FO execs about the best and worst of Free Agency.
Their comments on the Patriots...

New England Patriots

APY added: $31.5M (22nd) | APY lost: $24.7M (27th) | APY differential: $6.8M (16th)

The Patriots did not add or lose much in their first offseason in a quarter century without Bill Belichick at the controls.

“It just seemed like they missed out on everyone,” one exec said.

Patriots owner Robert Kraft indicated the team tried and failed to land Calvin Ridley. He suggested the Patriots’ unsettled quarterback situation might have played a role, which was interesting, given that Ridley signed with a team featuring Will Levis, Mason Rudolph and Malik Willis behind center.

“Kraft mentions the (state income) taxes, the quarterback, the player’s girlfriend and then he mentioned the money,” an exec said. “The reality is, if the dollar net taxes was higher in New England than in Tennessee, they would have gotten the player. It’s like Kraft can’t live in a world where he is looked at as the problem.”

Journeyman quarterback Jacoby Brissett was the highest-priced free agent ($8 million) the Patriots added.

“The head coach came out early in the offseason and said, ‘We have a lot of money to spend, and we are going to spend it,'” another exec said. “Then he had to walk the comment back. Then they lose out on the receiver after their GM says they have no speed on offense. So you have the two highest appointed people in the organization saying they are going to spend and they are going to prioritize speed, and then they do neither. What the hell?”
The halo has well and truly fallen off Kraft's head.

I’ve never been a Calvin Ridley fan. I’m fine with not paying him 23 million a year when there are a ton of defensive guys who will need new contracts sooner than later.
The titans are paying him and Hopkins almost 40 million combined this year. Crazy. And I liked Hopkins for a year or two at that price.

AJ Brown a Patriot? Hearing a trade is being negotiated with Wolf. The Eagles just re-signed DeVonta Smith to a huge deal.

I'm not sure I like it bc it's big money. Those 1450 yds are real enticing though. Eagles fans say he can be a diva but idk, that's just what I've read.
Great player.

Speculation from yesterday by Bleeding Green Nation on Brown's future.

Last edited:
AJ Brown a Patriot? Hearing a trade is being negotiated with Wolf. The Eagles just re-signed DeVonta Smith to a huge deal.

I'm not sure I like it bc it's big money. Those 1450 yds are real enticing though. Eagles fans say he can be a diva but idk, that's just what I've read.
Great player.

He's only 26. This is one of those situations where big money shouldn't be as much of a consideration. Even if it's a 5 year deal, you're still not hamstrung by a QB deal at any point during it (that decision's been made).

Of course, this assumes your billionaire owner doesn't serve bologna sandwiches like it's MCI Cedar Junction up the street.

Great player.

Well, he’s better than Shit Schooter…

Back