The Patriots' 2024 Off Season Thread

$33 mil of cap space? Not sure where your numbers come from? According to overthecap.com
The Pats have $68mil of cap space and $59 mil of effective cap space, which is rookie signings accounted for and 51 players signed.

TeamCap
Space
Effective Cap
Space
#Active
Cap Spending
Dead
Money
Commanders$75,744,358$63,895,06649$168,152,131$7,133,514
Titans$74,242,445$68,128,48955$163,570,913$13,766,360
Texans$71,438,770$60,861,10742$171,091,928$1,879,652
Patriots$67,892,741$59,116,28256$167,936,688$7,983,623

Falcons$26,320,843$20,522,67258$220,248,701$523,102

Jets$6,639,723$2,034,45357$239,315,404$2,458,968

Dolphins($40,991,870)($55,117,723)37$276,409,330$10,309,238
Bills($43,797,904)($52,607,728)44$286,684,665$586,633

Plus they can cut Godshaw or whatever for 14M...

So you are thinking they will only pay to the floor?
I'm thinking they're not going to spend anywhere near to the cap, and spin it as 'plenty of cap room for next year'.

They're already not paying Onwenu. Bourne has already intimated he's gone. Unless they can somehow get Dugger for cheap, I imagine some team's going to throw him a bunch of money. It's going to be ceramic dalmatian time come the few weeks before camp.

I'm thinking this is a money recouping year for Kraft Group. They're already saving $25 million for firing Belichick, and whatever they were paying O'Brien. Just don't be shocked, if they're running it back with Mac Jones, a slew of Walmart Dumpster free agents, spun under the auspices of fiscal responsibility - in a year where they're 70 million under the cap.

Also for the record, I'm fine with Bill O'Brien being gone. You have to be a very special kind of dogshit for people to say, accurately - "Well, even Matt Patricia's offense looked better than this". I think you can bring in any marginally qualified asshole to be more creative than what we watched last year. Spot screen, Spot screen, Spot screen. It's not like we had a roster of burners.

I don't think Troy Brown is a marginally qualified asshole, by the way, if that's the direction they're considering. He hasn't even proved he can coach WRs.

I'm thinking they're not going to spend anywhere near to the cap, and spin it as 'plenty of cap room for next year'.

They're already not paying Onwenu. Bourne has already intimated he's gone. Unless they can somehow get Dugger for cheap, I imagine some team's going to throw him a bunch of money. It's going to be ceramic dalmatian time come the few weeks before camp.

I'm thinking this is a money recouping year for Kraft Group. They're already saving $25 million for firing Belichick, and whatever they were paying O'Brien. Just don't be shocked, if they're running it back with Mac Jones, a slew of Walmart Dumpster free agents, spun under the auspices of fiscal responsibility - in a year where they're 70 million under the cap.
You'll have to stop posting Tommy. You're rapidly going to stop me watching next season.....

You have really become a Debbie Downer ...

The last 3 first overall QBs drafted---> here’s how their first season went.

Burrow - 2-7-1 (got hurt)

Lawrence - 3-14

Young - 2-14

No matter which QB is drafted, we’ll most likely have another full season of losing if we're starting a rookie.

Or get a bridge guy but maybe keeping Mac isn't such a bad idea if he has a better OL, 2 WRs and a gung ho youngish OC from the Shanahan/LaFleur/Ben Johnson trees, for example.
An OC who rejects the run-run-pass philosophy and one who can design an offense with quick throws that find open guys with room to run. An OC
who has a clear vision of blocking schemes to open holes for the RBs when needed. One who can use motion, misdirection, PA and rubs to put defenses on
their heels. And please bring back the H-Back or fullback so we aren't reliant on finesse football.

You have really become a Debbie Downer ...
BUT, is he wrong? So far, they have done nothing to warrant any kind of faith that they will be doing anything correct. Once an organization starts doing what would appear to be shady stuff....nothing good happens. One is Kraft at his pressers saying, "Gosh, I don't know if I am smart enough to answer that" when asked what he thought went wrong.

Then you add in the Jonathan absence from that presser, then the Mayo intro and his weak sauce answer to why he wasn't there. Top it off with a non starter on a head coaching search then you have a recipe for a Dallas redux. Make no mistake, we just might find that BB was the shield for the Krafts and now thats gone.

BUT, is he wrong?
He may be. We have no idea right now. The season is not even yet. We have our best draft position and a ton of money to spend.
So far, they have done nothing to warrant any kind of faith that they will be doing anything correct.
What? 6 titles in 18 years. Greatest run in NFL history.
Once an organization starts doing what would appear to be shady stuff....nothing good happens. One is Kraft at his pressers saying, "Gosh, I don't know if I am smart enough to answer that" when asked what he thought went wrong.
LOL. Shady? Please.
Then you add in the Jonathan absence from that presser, then the Mayo intro and his weak sauce answer to why he wasn't there. Top it off with a non starter on a head coaching search then you have a recipe for a Dallas redux. Make no mistake, we just might find that BB was the shield for the Krafts and now thats gone.
Um, ok.

He may be. We have no idea right now. The season is not even yet. We have our best draft position and a ton of money to spend.

What? 6 titles in 18 years. Greatest run in NFL history.

LOL. Shady? Please.

Um, ok.

Yeah Shady. Acting stupid when you aren't, or if you are..either isn't good. Hiding a guy from being asked questions is the definition of shady.

BUT, is he wrong? So far, they have done nothing to warrant any kind of faith that they will be doing anything correct. Once an organization starts doing what would appear to be shady stuff....nothing good happens. One is Kraft at his pressers saying, "Gosh, I don't know if I am smart enough to answer that" when asked what he thought went wrong.

Pats are the northeastern version of the Cowboys

See a common denominator?

GBUZ5bEXcAATpGF

IIRC correctly Covington was the DC for the Senior Bowl and almost got the Cardinals DC job last year. The Pats are going to interview him:

Wonder where this leaves Steve.

Back