The Texans Bear Watching as a Potential Julian Edelman Destination

UberDoober

Rocky Mtn One Eye
Reaction score
http://expatsfootball.com/posts/52463

The Texans hired Bill O'Brien to be the team's head coach in Houston and the former Patriots offensive coach has aligned his staff with guys with Patriots ties. His defensive coordinator is Romeo Crennel, his linebackers coach is Mike Vrabel while his quarterbacks coach is George Godsey and his assistant defensive line coach is Anthony Pleasant, all of whom have previous ties to the Patriots as either players or coaches.
In other words, O'Brien is looking to surround himself with familiar faces in Houston. And it wouldn't be a surprise if one of the guys that O'Brien ends up targeting is wide receiver Julian Edelman, a receiver who O'Brien knows well after having coached him as the Pats offensive coordinator during the 2011 season. Per Field Yates of ESPN:
So while free agency is still over a month away, one team to keep an eye on for relating to pending Patriots free agents is the Texans, as it's not uncommon for coaches or executives to have interest in players they previously coached. Of all the Patriots' unrestricted free agents, receiver Julian Edelman projects, from this viewpoint, as the top possible fit in Houston. O'Brien understands the value of a slot receiver and Houston needs to find one to play alongside standout Andre Johnson and 2013 first-round pick DeAndre Hopkins.​
Edelman will probably receive attention from around the league but the Texans are a very logical fit for Edelman outside of New England. The Pats could insert Danny Amendola into Edelman's slot position if it comes to that but we think the Patriots won't let him go after he proved himself to be Brady's top target last season while still being fairly young. If the Texans prove to be interested though, it wouldn't be surprising given all the former Patriots on Houston's staff.

Man they better stay the hell away from my Edelperson.

I will be so sad if we don't keep him.

Article connects the dots pretty well.

I'de rather give them mallet and amendola, and use the amendola money to resign edelperson.
Obrien gets a qb(if he believes in mallet, his slot guy.amendola if he believes his training staff will keep him in games)
Texans can then draft clowney to pair with watt.

The pats can use amendola money on edelperson and get Houston's 2nd pick (1st pick rd 2)
(amendola's dead money probably makes this impossible even if both teams wanted to do it )

Makes perfect sense.

Houston will be able to choose between WW when he gets cut, Edelman, or a bevy of other slot receiver FAs.

Yes. Let the pillaging continue!

pillage.jpg

Edelman is also very valuable as a punt returner.

I think BB will do what he always does. He will set a value on Edleman, and if the Texans, or anyone else, offers more, then he could be gone.

Edelman is also very valuable as a punt returner.

I think BB will do what he always does. He will set a value on Edleman, and if the Texans, or anyone else, offers more, then he could be gone.
One of the best in the NFL. While I'm optimistic that the Patriots could replace his contribution in the passing game, I have my doubts that they'll find a returner as productive as Edelman.

He be a great add.so O'brien can run 3 WR's formations. They already have a good running game in Foster & Tate.

When Edelman started out, he didn't exactly light it up either. He may be looking for his payday.

In 2011 Edelman had 4 receptions for 34 yds. I doubt that is any reason for BO'B to hand out a huge payday to him. His >1000yds this year is Edelman's selling point along with the punt return game wh/ is where Edelman has made his mark.

The Pats have a history of allowing players to test the market when they think the player's asking price is too high. $5-7M/ is a lot of money for a WR w/ these stats over a 5 year period. If he wants Amendola money the Pats will let him test the market & pay him accordingly unless a team comes in w/ excessive numbers.

<table summary="Career Stats In Receiving For Julian Edelman" class="data-table1" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" border="0" width="100%"><thead><tr class="player-table-header NEcolors"><td colspan="13">
Receiving​
</td> </tr> <tr class="player-table-key "> <td class="first-td" width="20px">Year</td> <td width="140px">Team</td> <td>G</td> <td>Rec</td> <td>Yds</td> <td>Avg</td> <td>Yds/G</td> <td>Lng</td> <td>TD</td> <td>20+</td> <td>40+</td> <td>1st</td> <td class="last-td">FUM</td> </tr> </thead> <tbody> <tr> <td>2013</td> <td> New England Patriots </td> <td>16</td> <td>105</td> <td>1,056</td> <td>10.1</td> <td>66.0</td> <td>44</td> <td>6</td> <td>9</td> <td>2</td> <td>54</td> <td>0</td> </tr> <tr><td class="border-td" colspan="13">
</td></tr> <tr> <td>2012</td> <td> New England Patriots </td> <td>9</td> <td>21</td> <td>235</td> <td>11.2</td> <td>26.1</td> <td>56T</td> <td>3</td> <td>1</td> <td>1</td> <td>12</td> <td>0</td> </tr> <tr><td class="border-td" colspan="13">
</td></tr> <tr> <td>2011</td> <td> New England Patriots </td> <td>13</td> <td>4</td> <td>34</td> <td>8.5</td> <td>2.6</td> <td>11</td> <td>0</td> <td>0</td> <td>0</td> <td>0</td> <td>0</td> </tr> <tr><td class="border-td" colspan="13">
</td></tr> <tr> <td>2010</td> <td> New England Patriots </td> <td>15</td> <td>7</td> <td>86</td> <td>12.3</td> <td>5.7</td> <td>40</td> <td>0</td> <td>2</td> <td>1</td> <td>3</td> <td>0</td> </tr> <tr><td class="border-td" colspan="13">
</td></tr> <tr> <td>2009</td> <td> New England Patriots </td> <td>11</td> <td>37</td> <td>359</td> <td>9.7</td> <td>32.6</td> <td>29</td> <td>1</td> <td>3</td> <td>0</td> <td>19</td> <td>0</td> </tr> <tr><td class="border-td" colspan="13">
</td></tr> <tr class="datatabledatahead"> <td class="player-totals" colspan="2">TOTAL</td> <td>64</td> <td>174</td> <td>1,770</td> <td>10.2</td> <td>27.7</td> <td>56</td> <td>10</td> <td>15</td> <td>4</td> <td>88</td> <td>0</td></tr></tbody></table>
http://www.nfl.com/player/julianedelman/238498/careerstats

Back