The Wells Report

Agreed. Now if only there was proof Brady asked his boys to deflate AFTER the refs inspected and/or BELOW legal limits.

So far, there is none.

Right, unless of course you're paid to do an investigation on it where you can say "Well he didn't give us his cell phone so you do the math." :coffee:

Greg A. Bedard @GregABedard · May 7

I expect Brady to say, at some point, "Everyone knows I like the balls at 12.5 PSI. What happened beyond that, I have no idea."

Certainly plausible explanation. But that's where saying he didn't know McNally, didn't allow cell to be looked at will prob hurt re Goodell

Rodgers and Manning wanting their footballs a certain way is not same as conspiring to doctor footballs after official inspection.

It's only a sting operation if you get caught doing something wrong.

I'd have to agree with this.

I don't. I believe the report was released to gauge(+.4 or -.1) the level of outrage and will base the punishment on that. NFL leadership has decided to be as reactionary as possible with its punishments. I also think that is why Don Yee is out there doing every bit of PR he can.

It was interesting to hear Don Yee on Zolak and Bertrand saying that Tom maintains the ball boys innocence.

I maintain that the evidence in the scientific report does not show Patriots Ball pressure to be abnormally low. That physical conditions/lack of proper measurement perfectly explain the psi.

A quick first-look at the report by the folks at FiveThirtyEight.

http://fivethirtyeight.com/datalab/fivethirtyeight-dissects-the-deflategate-report/

I'm pretty disappointed how credulous these so-called experts of statistical analysis were, but in this case (in a weird sort of opposite day for the internet) the comments section is overall very intelligent with some good info brought up. In fact, I'd recommend skipping the article altogether.

I don't. I believe the report was released to gauge(+.4 or -.1) the level of outrage and will base the punishment on that. NFL leadership has decided to be as reactionary as possible with its punishments. I also think that is why Don Yee is out there doing every bit of PR he can.

Name clearing/PR is different and needs to be done regardless of punishment assessed.

Why I think the punishment has already been agreed to for the Pats and maybe for Brady, too.

1. Kraft went easy on the report itself even though there were obvious flaws and many omissions along with many questions unanswered.
2. The report was sent to Goodell at least 3 days before it was released, there was time to get a deal done. "We'll go easy on you if you won't fight the report and the consequences. We can leave out the most damning evidence. A fight would be harmful to everyone." Agreed.
3. The report was carefully written NOT to give ironclad evidence of Brady's guilt and in a way that gives Brady some plausible deniability to save face. I think that was done on purpose to avoid embarrassing the GOAT and to give the NFL some wiggle room for relative leniency regarding punishment.
4. Kraft said he'd accept whatever punishment came his way. What?! This is NOT something a successful business man would ever say in the dark especially since Goodell has been rather harsh recently. Immediately I thought this deal is already done.
5. I'm not saying Brady also agreed to it but I'd bet that way. I will change my mind if Brady brings legal action or requests help from the NFLPA. Rumblings from his agent is simply playing along with the ruse although the FrameGate rant by his father was real since he wasn't in on the secret agreement.

BTW, Vegas o/u on suspension is 3.5 games. I'm betting under because of what I wrote above.

If Brady gets fined a nickel its a fvcking travesty. I'm thinking he'll get 4 games , and it gets reduced to 3 games after appeal...

Name clearing/PR is different and needs to be done regardless of punishment assessed.

Why I think the punishment has already been agreed to for the Pats and maybe for Brady, too.

1. Kraft went easy on the report itself even though there were obvious flaws and many omissions along with many questions unanswered.
2. The report was sent to Goodell at least 3 days before it was released, there was time to get a deal done. "We'll go easy on you if you won't fight the report and the consequences. We can leave out the most damning evidence. A fight would be harmful to everyone." Agreed.
3. The report was carefully written NOT to give ironclad evidence of Brady's guilt and in a way that gives Brady some plausible deniability to save face. I think that was done on purpose to avoid embarrassing the GOAT and to give the NFL some wiggle room for relative leniency regarding punishment.
4. Kraft said he'd accept whatever punishment came his way. What?! This is NOT something a successful business man would ever say in the dark especially since Goodell has been rather harsh recently. Immediately I thought this deal is already done.
5. I'm not saying Brady also agreed to it but I'd bet that way. I will change my mind if Brady brings legal action or requests help from the NFLPA. Rumblings from his agent is simply playing along with the ruse although the FrameGate rant by his father was real since he wasn't in on the secret agreement.

BTW, Vegas o/u on suspension is 3.5 games. I'm betting under because of what I wrote above.

So what you're saying is that the "independent" investigation was actually manipulated by Goodell, with collusion from Kraft, in order to find some middle ground?
You believe there was hard evidence to implicate Brady in a deliberate attempt to doctor the balls after they left the ref's room?

If so, that would be a conspiracy on a grand scale and very difficult to keep secret considering the number of people involved.

It was interesting to hear Don Yee on Zolak and Bertrand saying that Tom maintains the ball boys innocence.

I maintain that the evidence in the scientific report does not show Patriots Ball pressure to be abnormally low. That physical conditions/lack of proper measurement perfectly explain the psi.

Yup. These few days with the report out and no announced discipline is a 'trial balloon'.

So what you're saying is that the "independent" investigation was actually manipulated by Goodell, with collusion from Kraft, in order to find some middle ground?
You believe there was hard evidence to implicate Brady in a deliberate attempt to doctor the balls after they left the ref's room?

If so, that would be a conspiracy on a grand scale and very difficult to keep secret considering the number of people involved.

And not to cast the NFL and its officials in a bad light.

What does report say about the ball thief? The one stealing balls intended for charity?

That's just it.

People are saying that fans with blinders are seeing this report as an attack on Tom Brady, but why would the NFL want to attack one of their Golden Boys?

They wouldn't, this is a report to move blame away from the NFL officiating crew. People know there is a a thief amongst them, but it's never mentioned in the report. But that little bit of information that is being purposely omitted goes a long way to describing the chain of custody and the lackadaisical methodology with how they treat the game footballs.

An equipment manager texting his mom about the 50,000 yard ball is in the report though.

And not to cast the NFL and its officials in a bad light.

OK. That's one hell of a conspiracy theory, the stuff novels and books are made of. It would be significantly risky considering the number of people that have to be in agreement and not spill the beans.

However, I do agree that a deal was struck prior to the report being released, at least with Kraft. But I can't buy into the report being doctored after it was written.

I've Googled but can't find, it only says for the NFL

What is the regulation psi for college footballs?

OK. That's one hell of a conspiracy theory, the stuff novels and books are made of. It would be significantly risky considering the number of people that have to be in agreement and not spill the beans.

However, I do agree that a deal was struck prior to the report being released, at least with Kraft. But I can't buy into the report being doctored after it was written.

Confidentiality agreements are surely in place.

I don't consider it a conspiracy as much as a negotiation. The report released contains very little of the information obtained.

What does report say about the ball thief? The one stealing balls intended for charity?

They fired him and believe he was lying. But it's just a footnote. He's mentioned as taking the ball from the ref and placing it in a plastic bag along with the towel. Now they claim to have found the ball but it didn't have Andersons marking. Anderson doesn't remember if he had marked it or not because the ball was below the 12.50 PSI level after the prepared it in front of the refs and he put it aside to inflate.

~Dee~

Confidentiality agreements are surely in place.

I don't consider it a conspiracy as much as a negotiation. The report released contains very little of the information obtained.

The great part about your theory is that you can never be proven wrong.
There's some irony there.

A quick first-look at the report by the folks at FiveThirtyEight.

http://fivethirtyeight.com/datalab/fivethirtyeight-dissects-the-deflategate-report/

I'm pretty disappointed how credulous these so-called experts of statistical analysis were, but in this case (in a weird sort of opposite day for the internet) the comments section is overall very intelligent with some good info brought up. In fact, I'd recommend skipping the article altogether.

538 is hopeless at sports. One look at the way they interpret NBA data should tell you all you need to know.

They should stick to simpler matters, like prediction of voting patterns.

Back