The Wells Report

http://blog.masslive.com/patriots/print.html?entry=/2015/01/john_harbaugh_ravens_didnt_not.html

Kevin Duffy | krduffy@masslive.com By Kevin Duffy | krduffy@masslive.com
Follow on Twitter
on January 21, 2015 at 4:09 PM, updated January 21, 2015 at 4:11 PM

Baltimore Ravens coach John Harbaugh had plenty to complain about in the aftermath of his team's 35-31 loss in Foxborough two weekends ago.
But he had no problem with the inflation of the Patriots' football.

"We did not notice anything," Harbaugh told ESPN.com Wednesday. "We never had a ball that they used or anything like that on offense, so we don’t know anything about that in our game. We didn’t have a chance to handle any of their offensive footballs."
(Ravens linebacker Daryl Smith intercepted Tom Brady late in the first half, but that was the only Patriots turnover of the game).

Amid reports that 11 of New England's 12 balls were under-inflated against Indianapolis, CBSSports said some Ravens believed their kicking balls were slightly under-inflated when they played in Foxborough.
Harbaugh thinks weather may have played a role.

"As far as the kicking balls, it was 20 degrees out, so the balls were softer," Harbaugh said, via ESPN.com. "Our guys told us during the game, and I just chalked that up to the fact that it was cold and that both teams were kicking the same kicking balls, so I didn’t think really anything of it during the game. Other than that, it’s not something we’ve really given any thought to at all."

It was 51 degrees at kickoff for the AFC title game.

Thats a lie they intercepted Brady at 1:47 left in the 1st half

~Dee~

they are but I think only certain members of the team and that Grigson is the link

a Rams employee (1999-2003) before an Eagles (2004-2011) Employee - there is hate in defeat.

True. The equipment guy and Grigson have lots of explaining to do. i should have been clearer when i was saying Colts

~Dee~

1. Skip Bayless ‏<s>@</s>RealSkipBayless <small class="time"> May 13 </small>
    My guess is that Brady's lawyers, especially Jeff Kessler, will shred the Wells Report and its "more probable than not" conclusion.
  2. Skip Bayless ‏<s>@</s>RealSkipBayless <small class="time"> May 13 </small>
    As I've been saying on 1st Take, Brady's been telling friends he's 100% innocent and will fight this all the way to court if need be.

From his lips to up Goodells's ass.

Cheerz, BostonTim

It certainly doesn't seem they were even bright enough to run a sting.

I hate to cherry-pick one statement from that whole post, but this one really struck me, because "LOL the league is so incompetent" isn't strong enough of a statement. Look at the actors involved:

Ryan Grigson - Former Player
Mike Kensil - Got his job thanks to his dad
Jim Irsay - Got his job thanks to his dad
Dean Blandino - Jerry Jones Party Bus
Troy Vincent - Former Player

Then there's John Harbaugh, who got into coaching thanks to his father and brother (hint: he's not the one that coached at Stanford), and Ozzie Newsome, former player (I'm still not sure what his role is here, but he was interviewed by Snively Whiplash)

Not a single former cop or prosecutor in the bunch and it doesn't seem like one was even consulted.

No. They weren't bright enough to conduct a sting operation. I think if Kensil would have spent 10 seconds talking to Roger Goodell, he would have been told a sting was a bad idea.

I still don't think Goodell was part of the sting. Either the people involved were too dumb to mention it, or they knew he'd say no. :coffee:

As I've been saying on 1st Take, Brady's been telling friends he's 100% innocent and will fight this all the way to court if need be (Bayless).

I have a feeling Skip Bayless doesn't know any of Tom Brady's friends. This is likely a fictional statement based on what Ol' Skip thinks is the case.

It might be right, but Skip didn't hear that from any actual source.

Let the record show the Colts tampered with footballs on the sideline by gauging the football (a violation of the league's rules) shortly after intercepting it

The Colts equipment guy STUCK A NEEDLE IN THE BALL THAT WAS INTERCEPTED ON THE SIDELINE, in violation of the rule that states only an official can do that.

I'm not sure this was a rule violation.

Consider the following.

The ball that was intercepted was kept by the Colts player, and so was never going to be used in the game again.

Does that mean it is no longer considered a "game ball" and so Rule 2 does not apply?

From a strict logical standpoint, I would say yes. Of course, who knows what Wells would conclude.

I have a feeling Skip Bayless doesn't know any of Tom Brady's friends. This is likely a fictional statement based on what Ol' Skip thinks is the case.

It might be right, but Skip didn't hear that from any actual source.

Eh. He could have asked Bruschi.

I'm not sure this was a rule violation.

Consider the following.

The ball that was intercepted was kept by the Colts player, and so was never going to be used in the game again.

Does that mean it is no longer considered a "game ball" and so Rule 2 does not apply?

From a strict logical standpoint, I would say yes. Of course, who knows what Wells would conclude.

Actually, Jackson said the ball was almost immediately taken away from him. Whether it ever was going to end up in play again, who knows? He sure as hell didn't get to keep it.

But if there were any questions prior to that ball landing in their hands, once it was tampered with by the Colts, this all should have been a dead issue.

Actually, Jackson said the ball was almost immediately taken away from him. Whether it ever was going to end up in play again, who knows? He sure as hell didn't get to keep it.

But if there were any questions prior to that ball landing in their hands, once it was tampered with by the Colts, this all should have been a dead issue.

I just ran across that section when I was skimming the WR earlier this afternoon.

At approximately 7:47 p.m., during the second quarter of the AFC Championship Game, Colts linebacker D‟Qwell Jackson intercepted a pass thrown by Tom Brady.

Following the interception upon reaching the sideline, Jackson handed the ball to David Thornton, the Colts Director of Player Engagement, near the Colts bench and Thornton immediately handed the ball to Assistant Equipment Manager Brian Seabrooks. According to Seabrooks, he believed that the ball felt similar to the footballs intercepted by Mike Adams during the Colts game against the Patriots earlier in the season, so he asked one of the team‟s equipment interns to locate a pressure gauge and test the inflation level of the intercepted ball. The intern used a digital pressure gauge similar to the gauge used by the Colts to set their footballs before the game, and reported that the pressure measured approximately 11 psi.

Seabrooks then walked with the intercepted football to Equipment Manager Sean Sullivan, who squeezed the ball and agreed that it felt soft.
These concerns were brought by Colts equipment personnel to the attention of a game official on the Colts sideline who was not responsive. Indeed, Clete Blakeman recalls that someone from the Colts raised a concern with him but his initial reaction was that it was a matter outside his jurisdiction.

Sullivan also alerted Danielle Lee, an NFL Game Operations representative stationed on the Colts sideline, and asked her to contact NFL personnel and have them come to the sideline because there was a problem with the footballs. Lee used the Game Operations radio system to alert Akil Coad, James Daniel and Mike Kensil and pass on Sullivan‟s request. Daniel responded that he would come to the sideline and speak with the Colts.

Sullivan was the guy whose "concerns" were noted in the initial letter that Grigson sent to NFL HQ to officially get this mess rolling. There is more than the stuff that I excerpted, but I figured you might appreciate the review of what happened.

I hate to cherry-pick one statement from that whole post, but this one really struck me, because "LOL the league is so incompetent" isn't strong enough of a statement. Look at the actors involved:

Ryan Grigson - Former Player
Mike Kensil - Got his job thanks to his dad
Jim Irsay - Got his job thanks to his dad
Dean Blandino - Jerry Jones Party Bus
Troy Vincent - Former Player

Then there's John Harbaugh, who got into coaching thanks to his father and brother (hint: he's not the one that coached at Stanford), and Ozzie Newsome, former player (I'm still not sure what his role is here, but he was interviewed by Snively Whiplash)

Not a single former cop or prosecutor in the bunch and it doesn't seem like one was even consulted.

No. They weren't bright enough to conduct a sting operation. I think if Kensil would have spent 10 seconds talking to Roger Goodell, he would have been told a sting was a bad idea.

I still don't think Goodell was part of the sting. Either the people involved were too dumb to mention it, or they knew he'd say no. :coffee:

Again I don't know . I do know Grigson is not the sharpest tool in the shed could it could have been either Vincent or Kinsil sure I don't think either went to the press that was Grigson. I don't think good ell knew I y
Think he was involved in the coverup though.

~Dee~

Sorry I really hate my mobile device. That's suppose to say I don't think good ell knew either.

Posted via Mobile Device

My daily take, for what it's worth:

1. The Patriots and Tom Brady are either innocent or completely nuts. You don't take on the system, and risk everything with little chance of success, when you're guilty. You just don't. You have too much to hide when you're guilty to risk opening the floodgates. I am now 100% convinced that Tom is completely innocent.

2. The NFL propaganda machine is really kicking into high gear now. I'm starting to read aggressively anti-Patriots articles on NFL.com and ESPN.com that are unsupported by anything close to facts or logic. That tells me that the NFL does feel threatened by the weakness of the Wells Report and the strength of the Patriots' counter-arguments. However, it also shows me just how bought and paid for the great majority of the media is, which is certainly concerning.

My daily take, for what it's worth:

1. The Patriots and Tom Brady are either innocent or completely nuts. You don't take on the system, and risk everything with little chance of success, when you're guilty. You just don't. You have too much to hide when you're guilty to risk opening the floodgates. I am now 100% convinced that Tom is innocent.

2. The NFL propaganda machine is really kicking into high gear now. I'm starting to read aggressively anti-Patriots articles on NFL.com and ESPN.com that are unsupported by anything close to facts or logic. That tells me that the NFL does feel threatened by the weakness of the Wells Report and the strength of the Patriots' counter-arguments. However, it also shows me just how bought and paid for the great majority of the media is, which is certainly concerning.

Back