Thinking out loud about the state of this franchise

Darth Despot

We ass
Reaction score
Website
tokevinwithlove.wordpress.com
The first part of the dynasty, 2001-2004, was a pretty typical "window" by NFL standards. That team was talented and deep on both sides of the ball. After a couple of down years Bill went all in on offense, building a juggernaut, one of the best offenses in league history, but it ended poorly.

Certainly from that point TFB had developed into the Man who could carry an offense. It wasn't that there weren't great players on those offenses, Gronk is a HOF player and Edleman just misses the cut, but they were built unconventionally. The "Big 3" used to mean a QB, RB and WR, the Pats Big 3 were QB, TE and Slot. Because Brady was who he was he could make a gourmet meal with those 2 main ingredients and some peanut butter and fluff.

This lead to the real glory days. When the over under wasn't 10 wins, it was whether they won the AFC Championship game or not.

There was one area where the unit was a whole lot better than the sum of the parts, and that was OL. Losing Brady sucked (it was inevitable), but the team was competitive for 2 years with Cam Newton and then Mac at QB, but then Dante retired. Our OL has sucked hard since.

Mac is still a question mark (not good for a 3 year starter) but the issues here are rooted in the OL. Bill could be "unconventional" when he had Brady and Dante cooking up the dinners, but this team needs to be more conventional without those 2 GOAT chefs. Mac isn't Brady, no one is. He, or any other QB we can find, is going to need more help that the best QB in history, not shit really?

But that's going to start not with weapons, but with the front 5. Without that unit working well, the weapons are wasted.

The first part of the dynasty, 2001-2004, was a pretty typical "window" by NFL standards. That team was talented and deep on both sides of the ball. After a couple of down years Bill went all in on offense, building a juggernaut, one of the best offenses in league history, but it ended poorly.

Certainly from that point TFB had developed into the Man who could carry an offense. It wasn't that there weren't great players on those offenses, Gronk is a HOF player and Edleman just misses the cut, but they were built unconventionally. The "Big 3" used to mean a QB, RB and WR, the Pats Big 3 were QB, TE and Slot. Because Brady was who he was he could make a gourmet meal with those 2 main ingredients and some peanut butter and fluff.

This lead to the real glory days. When the over under wasn't 10 wins, it was whether they won the AFC Championship game or not.

There was one area where the unit was a whole lot better than the sum of the parts, and that was OL. Losing Brady sucked (it was inevitable), but the team was competitive for 2 years with Cam Newton and then Mac at QB, but then Dante retired. Our OL has sucked hard since.

Mac is still a question mark (not good for a 3 year starter) but the issues here are rooted in the OL. Bill could be "unconventional" when he had Brady and Dante cooking up the dinners, but this team needs to be more conventional without those 2 GOAT chefs. Mac isn't Brady, no one is. He, or any other QB we can find, is going to need more help that the best QB in history, not shit really?

But that's going to start not with weapons, but with the front 5. Without that unit working well, the weapons are wasted.
maybe eat something next time you post something this long... :shrug-n:

But your premise is good. Front end of the dynasty was BFB and the defense, and the back half didn't come around until the defense caught up with the offense. But, even then, Brady was still better than average before he became the GOAT (quick...who led the league in TD passes in '02. Hint...he was the reigning SB MVP)...he was never a JAG

Mmmmmm, I love me a big ole fluffernutter!!

Common sense. Thank you.

Basically we need to do an actual rebuild which should have been done in 2020.

Good as they should. Funny how I called it weeks ago, got crapped on for it...and then there are high level dudes in the Pats org that are seeing the same thing.

Tank, tank tank..organically or not. Just tank baby.

I've said it before, I don't think they will consciously tank (BB won't) but it's just working out that way.
for the record - I don't think Caleb Williams would come here unless there was a new Offensive minded Regime.
unless he really falls off in play, I believe he will use his leverage to either pic a desired destination or stay in school and rake in NIL $

I made the mistake of listening to a bit of Felger and Mazz. I ended up laughing my ass off at their stupidity.

Mazz is actually delighted that Michigan is caught in this sign scandal because, and get this, he thinks Jim Harbaugh would be the ideal next HC of the Patriots! :rofl: He actually believes Harbaugh is the one!

It will never happen of course, but in some weird universe where it does happen, I don't think I could follow the team.

I made the mistake of listening to a bit of Felger and Mazz. I ended up laughing my ass off at their stupidity.

Mazz is actually delighted that Michigan is caught in this sign scandal because, and get this, he thinks Jim Harbaugh would be the ideal next HC of the Patriots! :rofl: He actually believes Harbaugh is the one!

It will never happen of course, but in some weird universe where it does happen, I don't think I could follow the team.
Make no mistake, Jim Harbaugh is in a world of trouble over this new scandal. Do I think Robert Kraft would then bring him into Foxboro? Not a chance.

It would be the equivalent of the Sox hiring Buck Showalter...
Too Much No GIF by Rosanna Pansino

the closest I ever want to see any Harbaugh to the Pats is on the opposite sideline

Back