To those who have served

Muse

Paleface
Reaction score
It's hard for me to go through this day without having a shed tear or two. My stepdad, brother in law, sister, cousins, uncles, and a ton of friends have served and continue to serve.
I live in a military town. They do disrupt our daily lives. But I know I could never do what they do, give me the freedom to move about my daily life. I did take the physical test and the other test required for the USAF and passed. But I chickened out at the last moment.

To the men and women who did not, I salute you
I don't have a Youtube for this video but here is one which I know is one of many.

https://www.facebook.com/82ndAirborneDivision/videos/10156223482395387/

Feel free to post videos, photos or words of respect. My father in law went to war three times, twice volunteering to go back, my sister was in the Gulf War. We almost lost her a few times, memories she will never share with anyone. The list is long some good some bad.

My grandfather served with the Canadian forces during WWI, seeing action in France.

My dad was a Navy/Marine corpsman at the end of WWII (he didn't turn 18 until the end of '44), serving state side at a Naval hospital in Virginia, then called back during the Korean War and serving at a Naval hospital in Chelsea.

My nephew is about to be activated into the Air Force as a surgeon (the Air Force paid his way through med school).

My father-in-law was in the Finnish army and fought two wars against the Soviet Union ('39-'40 and '41-'44), wars that most folks don't know about. But my in-laws, who lived on an island close to the Soviet border, saw things that no one should ever see.

Service for your country is an honor and a privilege. I salute all of them.

Here's my in-laws in '43 on their wedding day. My son once asked his grandmother why they looked so sad. She said that they got married on one of his leaves and he was scheduled to go back to the front right after the wedding. They thought that they may never see each other again.

The 2nd picture was taken in front of their neighbors house, which has been destroyed during a Soviet bombing raid. The only thing remaining was the chimney.

One final pic to bore you with.
This is my grandfather, who was 15 when he enlisted into the Canadian forces in 1915. The local priest attested that he was 17 (we have the enlistment documents) in order to help him get out of the New Brunswick village he was living in. The priest thought it would be helpful to emlist and "see the world". He ended up in the trenches of France.

BTW, at the same age, we were basically identical twins. Very creepy...

One final pic to bore you with.
This is my grandfather, who was 15 when he enlisted into the Canadian forces in 1915. The local priest attested that he was 17 (we have the enlistment documents) in order to help him get out of the New Brunswick village he was living in. The priest thought it would be helpful to emlist and "see the world". He ended up in the trenches of France.

BTW, at the same age, we were basically identical twins. Very creepy...

IIRC, You've posted these before. Was it your In Laws house that got bombed by the Russians?

Great pictures. Deep and moving memories I'm sure.

Thanks for their service.

Cheers, BostonTim

Military service goes waaaaaaaay back in my family. From me, back in every generation since the founding, and even before. I even have an ancestor that was with Rogers' Rangers during the F&I Wars, and married Robert Rogers' sister. Me in the Gulf War and some other stuff, my dad in Nam, his father in WWII, his father in WWI, Spanish American War, Civil War, the revolution, and on and on... On the Indian side, it's the same - every male served... Warrior tradition... :)

IIRC, You've posted these before. Was it your In Laws house that got bombed by the Russians?

Great pictures. Deep and moving memories I'm sure.

Thanks for their service.

Cheers, BostonTim

Ohhh, perhaps I did. I know there's another thread for family pics. I know my grandfather's pic is new because I just scanned it.

The pic in front of the chimney was taken just days after a Soviet bombing raid. Their island had 200 homes, and theirs was one of just 10 or so that survived. During my father-in-law's early service, he came across an old man who told him that his house would be protected if he buried on of his teeth in from of the door. My father-in-law figured it couldn't hurt, pulled out one of his teeth and followed the instructions. It's not my place to say if that was the reason or not. :shrug:

BTW Tim, thank you for your service.

Dad served in the Army during WWII with the 295th Engineer Combat Battalion and was awarded a Purple Heart. He passed in 1999.

Remembering you today and always, Dad. Miss you. View attachment 96630

Military service goes waaaaaaaay back in my family. From me, back in every generation since the founding, and even before. I even have an ancestor that was with Rogers' Rangers during the F&I Wars, and married Robert Rogers' sister. Me in the Gulf War and some other stuff, my dad in Nam, his father in WWII, his father in WWI, Spanish American War, Civil War, the revolution, and on and on... On the Indian side, it's the same - every male served... Warrior tradition... :)

You've got a unique and interesting family history.

You've got a unique and interesting family history.

I began looking at stuff in the 5th grade. I had access to the Dartmouth College library, and all the old people in my family. I was relentless. I explored attics and basements, finding old books and papers. I once found a letter from an ancestor, writing home about his experience in the Civil War, when he was assigned to Washington DC. He spoke about Lincoln's assassination and other stuff.

I'm glad I did all that searching and listening. Most everyone who remembers stuff has long since died.

I began looking at stuff in the 5th grade. I had access to the Dartmouth College library, and all the old people in my family. I was relentless. I explored attics and basements, finding old books and papers. I once found a letter from an ancestor, writing home about his experience in the Civil War, when he was assigned to Washington DC. He spoke about Lincoln's assassination and other stuff.

I'm glad I did all that searching and listening. Most everyone who remembers stuff has long since died.
You would enjoy talking to my daughter. She's a historical researcher working for an agency that has a contract with the Dept of the Interior. The contract is to investigate claims from native tribes and individuals against the US (called Tribal Trust). She spends a lot of time investigating historical documents at the national archives outside of Kansas City as well as time spent on a variety of Indian reservations.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

Today we remember those who gave their lives in all theatres of combat so that we may enjoy the freedoms we do today.

Lest we forget their sacrifice.

And to all those who have served previously and those who continue to serve today, thank you.

Thank you Dad (the surly-lookin' Marine below) and to all those who have served, or are serving... you are our finest.

12241620_10153296055678037_1581861673480695502_n.jpg

Dad served in the Army during WWII with the 295th Engineer Combat Battalion and was awarded a Purple Heart. He passed in 1999.

Remembering you today and always, Dad. Miss you. View attachment 96630

I thank you and Honor your Dad for his service.

To All Our Veterans, Thank You

Thanks to all that served and are presently serving.

Special thanks to both my grandfathers, my father , all my uncles, my brother, my two sons, and my son in law whose still serving.

~Dee~

Ohhh, perhaps I did. I know there's another thread for family pics. I know my grandfather's pic is new because I just scanned it.

The pic in front of the chimney was taken just days after a Soviet bombing raid. Their island had 200 homes, and theirs was one of just 10 or so that survived. During my father-in-law's early service, he came across an old man who told him that his house would be protected if he buried on of his teeth in from of the door. My father-in-law figured it couldn't hurt, pulled out one of his teeth and followed the instructions. It's not my place to say if that was the reason or not. :shrug:

BTW Tim, thank you for your service.

Thanks. And the pics just seemed familiar. God knows that the most unreliable thing on this forum is my memory.

Cheers, BostonTim

My very first post (thanks for reminding me O_P_T) was in response to this post by LVENT some 7 years ago

You stay up for 16 hours.

He stays up for days on end.

You take a warm shower to help you wake up.

He goes days or weeks without running water.

You complain of a "headache", and call in sick.

He gets shot at as others are hit, and keeps moving forward.

You put on your anti war/don't support the troops shirt, and go meet up with your friends.

He still fights for your right to wear that shirt.

You talk trash about your "buddies" that aren't with you.

He knows he may not see some of his buddies again.

You walk down the beach, staring at all the pretty girls.

He patrols the streets, searching for insurgents and terrorists.

You complain about how hot it is.

He wears his heavy gear, not daring to take off his helmet to wipe his brow.

You go out to lunch, and complain because the restaurant got your order wrong.

He doesn't get to eat today.

Your maid makes your bed and washes your clothes.

He wears the same things for weeks, but makes sure his weapons are clean.

You go to the mall and get your hair redone.

He doesn't have time to brush his teeth today.

You're angry because your class ran 5 minutes over.

He's told he will be held over an extra 2 months.

You hug and kiss your girlfriend, like you do everyday.

He holds his letter close and smells his love's perfume.

You roll your eyes as a baby cries.

He gets a letter with pictures of his new child, and wonders if they'll ever meet.

You criticize your government, and say that war never solves anything.

He sees the innocent tortured and killed by their own people and remembers why he is fighting.

You hear the jokes about the war, and make fun of men like him.

He hears the gunfire, bombs and screams of the wounded.

You see only what the media wants you to see.

He sees the broken bodies lying around him.

You call your girlfriend and set a date for tonight.

He waits for the mail to see if there is a letter from home.

You are asked to go to the store by your parents. You don't.

He does exactly what he is told even if it puts his life in danger

You stay at home and watch TV.

He takes whatever time he is given to call, write home, sleep, and eat

If you support your troops, the click "reply to poster" copy all the codes, and repost the bulletin.

If you don't support your troops well, then don't re-post. You won't die in 7 days, your love life won't be affected, and you won't have the worst day ever. You don't have to repost. It's not like you know the men and women that are dying to preserve your rights.

http://www.patriotsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=37500&page=2

IMG_1184.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

~Dee~

Back