Todays cuts

The*Big*Lebowski

HUMAN PARAQUAT
Reaction score
I never thought Cassel would be cut....and he wasn't. Gutz is out:

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/2008/08/patriots_roster_1.html

The Patriots made the following roster moves today:

Players placed on injured reserve, ending their season:
# LB Bo Ruud
# DL Kenny Smith

Players placed on reserve/non-football injury list
# OT Oliver Ross

Players released:
# DL Titus Adams
# CB Fernando Bryant
# TE Tyson DeVree
# S Mark Dillard
# C Mike Flynn
# RB BenJarvus Green-Ellis
# QB Matt Gutierrez
# LB Victor Hobson
# LB Vince Redd
# CB Mike Richardson
# T Stephen Sene
# S Antwain Spann
# DL Santonio Thomas
# G John Welbourn

The big surprise is the release of Fernando Bryant, who went wire to wire as a starter at cornerback. Other surprises: WR Ray Ventrone, WR C.J. Jones, TE Stephen Spach, and CB Lewis Sanders making the club.

The plan is to pen a story for tomorrow's Boston Globe and be back with some analysis a bit later.

I never thought Cassel would be cut....and he wasn't. Gutz is out:

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/2008/08/patriots_roster_1.html

# LB Bo Ruud
# DL Kenny Smith

# OT Oliver Ross

Players released:
# DL Titus Adams
# CB Fernando Bryant
# TE Tyson DeVree
# S Mark Dillard
# C Mike Flynn
# RB BenJarvus Green-Ellis
# QB Matt Gutierrez
# LB Victor Hobson
# LB Vince Redd
# CB Mike Richardson
# T Stephen Sene
# S Antwain Spann
# DL Santonio Thomas
# G John Welbourn

The big surprise is the release of Fernando Bryant, who went wire to wire as a starter at cornerback. Other surprises: WR Ray Ventrone, WR C.J. Jones, TE Stephen Spach, and CB Lewis Sanders making the club.

The plan is to pen a story for tomorrow's Boston Globe and be back with some analysis a bit later.

Cut GOOTS?

**** you BB.

Patriots roster moves

LB Bo Ruud
DL Kenny Smith
OT Oliver Ross
Players released:
DL Titus Adams
CB Fernando Bryant
TE Tyson DeVree
S Mark Dillard
C Mike Flynn
RB BenJarvus Green-Ellis
QB Matt Gutierrez
LB Victor Hobson
LB Vince Redd
CB Mike Richardson
T Stephen Sene
S Antwain Spann
DL Santonio Thomas
G John Welbourn

More...

Well, if you cut the starting CB, is there another one in the wings waiting to be signed?

I thought Hobson was on the bubble but Fernando Bryant is a little bit of a shocker:confused:

Fernando Bryant played pretty bad in the preseason, so it seems justified if you ask me. What I don't understand is how Matt Cassel still made it. That's a shock considering he didn't do a single good thing in ANY of the preseason games.

I'm definitely glad Ventrone and C. J. Jones made the cut, though. I was pulling for them. They're hard workers, and both can possibly contribute if the starters happen to go down. They seem reliable enough. Now let's get the damn season started. I can't wait!

Fernando Bryant played pretty bad in the preseason, so it seems justified if you ask me.

Then-kew! I just watched Bryant get bull rushed 10 yards backwards into the end zone on the replay of the 4th preseason game. See ya! :wave:

Guyton and Alexander made it. Good for both of them.

I don't get how Eric Alexander keeps making the team. He seemingly makes no difference on special teams and still can't crack the regular LB rotation.

I don't get how Eric Alexander keeps making the team. He seemingly makes no difference on special teams and still can't crack the regular LB rotation.

I think that he's been a pretty effective special teamer the past few years.

All drafted rookies made it (Ruud on IR), as well as Guyton.:thumb:

sorry to see Redd go and I don't think he will clear waivers but who knows.

Hmm, some weird stuff.

HOW THE **** CAN GUTZ GET CUT OVER CASSEL? I'm sorry, I don't think Gutz is amazing and I assume O'Connell will probably end up better than both, but how the hell can ANYONE honestly think Cassel was the better of the two? Not even just this pre-season, he's seriously never proved he can play, ever. Bryant is also weird too given that the team hasn't signed anyone ... who exactly are we expecting to see starting now? I mean, the CB group was already weak with him in the lineup, but it can't be any better now. I don't disagree with dropping him, he was awful in pre-season, but I seriously hope we have an eye on a free agent or something.

I'm really shocked about Gutz getting cut over Cassel. Did BB tell Cassel to look crappy in the preseason games just to fool everyone? :shrug:

Why did didn't they cut the bum Cassel. My guess is there going to try ands sign him to the practice squad. IMO with them Cutting byrant that could mean either they are signing Ty lawor another Free agent CB to a contact. They want to go with hobbs and wheatney starting at Cb. Wilhite and lewis sander at nickle and dime.

I thought Gutz looked just as bad if not worse. His stats looked better but he just threw it up for grabs quite a few times and got lucky. They both suck but I'm sure BB has his reasons or maybe he just flipped a coin.

With BB and Scott you never know what they going to do. With the way O'connel played this pre season . I hope he is the backup to Brady and not Cassel.

I thought Gutz looked just as bad if not worse. His stats looked better but he just threw it up for grabs quite a few times and got lucky. They both suck but I'm sure BB has his reasons or maybe he just flipped a coin.

Cassel must give a true GFE (girl friend experience) whereas Gutes was only a tease....

I called the Hobson cut early in the summer. For some reason, I know he wouuld get cut. I was surprised Gutierrez got the ax and not Cassel. Bryant getting cut makes me think they are going to sign Law now.

I'm really shocked about Gutz getting cut over Cassel. Did BB tell Cassel to look crappy in the preseason games just to fool everyone? :shrug:
No Cassel showed us his lack of footwork and brains and inability to read defenses or escape pressure for real. I don't get this move but PLEASE GOD never let us even have to see him except to take a knee in the regular season.

Back