Top 100 2014 Free Agents

I would love for the Pats to sign Donte Whitner.

I would love to see Jimmy Graham & Gronk together

Bernard Pollard....

I kid... I kid...

I wouldn't mind Verner from Tennessee....

I don't think you're going to spend that kind of money to have 2 TE sit on the bench until the playoffs. And still likely get hurt.

Why not, their paying a guy in jail that's being charged with murder

Alex Mack or Jon Asamoah.

Wouldn't mind seeing Arthur Jones either.

Not bad. Mack for certain would help tremendously up the middle. So would Dominic Raiola from Detroit if BB wants a 1 yr stopgap guy for cheap. He's 35 but he's a helluva good C and should have a good year left in him.

DT Paul Soliai or Linval Joseph.

TEs Scott Chandler, 6'7" 260 or Brandon Pettigrew 6'5" 265. I prefer Chandler.

WR. Jacoby Jones (iffy) Emmanuel Sanders.

Here is 7 signed future contracts, any of these guys grab you Chev? I know Dunn but thats about it.

* OL Braxston Cave, 24. Listed at 6-3, 305 pounds, played at Notre Dame.

* OL Jordan Devey, 25. Listed at 6-6, 317 pounds, played at Memphis.

* WR Reggie Dunn, 25. Listed at 5-9, 178 pounds, played at Utah.

* OL R.J. Mattes, 23. Listed at 6-6, 315 pounds, played at North Carolina State.

* RB Sam McGuffie, 24. Listed at 5-10, 200 pounds, played at Rice.

* WR Greg Orton, 27. Listed at 6-3, 199 pounds, played at Purdue.

* LB Taylor Reed, 22. Listed at 5-11, 236 pounds, played at Southern Methodist.

I'm no help on those guys. Developmental only as far as I know. Throw stuff against the wall and see what sticks.

Realistically . . .

OFFENSE:

QB - I think we'll see a older veteran "camp arm" guy - someone who'd pretty close to having played out his string even as a backup (pretty much everybody on the list). OTOH, if the Pats sign one of the better guys (maybe Josh McCown or Shaun Hill), one who could conceivably hang with the team, it might indicate that something is afoot wrt Mallett's status and a potential draftee.

RB - Personally, I think it would be a disaster if the Pats can't re-sign Blount. I don't think his demands will be unaffordable, but . . . In that unfortunate event, Ben Tate or even MJD might be worth a conversation. One of the lesser guys (Starks, Bell) might be brought in to compete with Bolden, anyway.

WR - Re-signing Edelman is a must, but there's probably a greater chance that he gets an unmatchable offer elsewhere than there is with Blount. If he can't be re-signed, that changes things radically. It might bring Emmanuel Sanders back into the picture. Whether Edelman re-signs or not, I think Collie gets another 1-year shot. And, I'd kinda like to get Tiquan back, myself. Like this past Camp, I think we'll see a couple lesser vets, maybe Kevin Walter, Jerome Simpson, possibly Meachem. The exact "who" depends on what kind of influence BB thinks a guy will have on the team's young WRs and how he projects the future development of Dobson, KT, etc. (We might even see yet another WR draft pick, and almost certainly another couple UDFA WRs.)

TE - This is where things get interesting. First, I'm pretty sure that Hooman is re-signed. He's a solid backstop and ST player who knows the systems and will be cheap. Next, I think we might see a guy who's been a decent blocker and likely to be more productive as a receiver than Mulligan - maybe Dickson or Quarless. I'm guessing that the Pats will be easily outbid for guys like Chandler and Pettigrew by teams who are willing to overpay. If BB's plan is to draft another TE (or two), we could see an older vet like Dallas Clark (if he decides not to retire) or Fred Davis. Somewhere along the line, though, it seems like there has to be a new "move" TE who's mostly a receiver. If the coaches don't think Harrison could cover part of that role, the guys would probably come from the draft on Day-2.

OT - A couple 2013 UDFAs still hanging around for potential development in their 2nd year and draft weekend might bring another. Svitek probably get re-upped for another year.

OG/OC - pretty much the same as OT. Wendell probably gets a new contract, whether the majority here likes that or not, with guys like Kline, Barker, etc. in development behind him (and Connolly). In any case, it's unlikely any of the FAs with any starter potential will be available at reasonable money.

DEFENSE:

DE - The FA's who'd be likely to have an immediate impact are all likely to be too expensive - including Arthur Jones, unfortunately. One of the older guys, maybe trying to find another Carter, or one of the younger guys who hasn't done well elsewhere, and/or a late-round flyer in the draft are the affordable avenues. The Saints seem almost certain to cut Will Smith who BB has long admired. His 2014 cap number is $13.9M, but his dead money hit is only $2.35M.

DT - Maybe another older (cheap) vet for camp and probably a draft pick at some point, but Siliga seems like he may be enough to lessen the need to spend early.

LB - Seems likely to me that BB could grab a 2nd-tier FA as depth going into the draft where I think he may take a flyer on one.

CB - I'm thinking that BB signs a FA, the quality of whom may be in inverse proportion to the likelihood of Talib being re-signed. There's actually a lot to choose from this season.

SAF - Adrian Wilson my be in the "didn't pan out" file. Tavon Wilson - it's hard to know. Just because he's at the bottom of this depth chart doesn't necessarily mean he's awful, but ... There are a few vets on the FA list who could be okay depth signings (like Adrian Wilson), and a late-round/UDFA signing is probably in the cards anyway.

Bottom line, as always, is that we can make all the wish lists we want, but we're unlikely to see a big name FA signing for the 2014 roster.

Realistically . . .

OFFENSE:

QB - I think we'll see a older veteran "camp arm" guy - someone who'd pretty close to having played out his string even as a backup (pretty much everybody on the list). OTOH, if the Pats sign one of the better guys (maybe Josh McCown or Shaun Hill), one who could conceivably hang with the team, it might indicate that something is afoot wrt Mallett's status and a potential draftee.

RB - Personally, I think it would be a disaster if the Pats can't re-sign Blount. I don't think his demands will be unaffordable, but . . . In that unfortunate event, Ben Tate or even MJD might be worth a conversation. One of the lesser guys (Starks, Bell) might be brought in to compete with Bolden, anyway.

WR - Re-signing Edelman is a must, but there's probably a greater chance that he gets an unmatchable offer elsewhere than there is with Blount. If he can't be re-signed, that changes things radically. It might bring Emmanuel Sanders back into the picture. Whether Edelman re-signs or not, I think Collie gets another 1-year shot. And, I'd kinda like to get Tiquan back, myself. Like this past Camp, I think we'll see a couple lesser vets, maybe Kevin Walter, Jerome Simpson, possibly Meachem. The exact "who" depends on what kind of influence BB thinks a guy will have on the team's young WRs and how he projects the future development of Dobson, KT, etc. (We might even see yet another WR draft pick, and almost certainly another couple UDFA WRs.)

TE - This is where things get interesting. First, I'm pretty sure that Hooman is re-signed. He's a solid backstop and ST player who knows the systems and will be cheap. Next, I think we might see a guy who's been a decent blocker and likely to be more productive as a receiver than Mulligan - maybe Dickson or Quarless. I'm guessing that the Pats will be easily outbid for guys like Chandler and Pettigrew by teams who are willing to overpay. If BB's plan is to draft another TE (or two), we could see an older vet like Dallas Clark (if he decides not to retire) or Fred Davis. Somewhere along the line, though, it seems like there has to be a new "move" TE who's mostly a receiver. If the coaches don't think Harrison could cover part of that role, the guys would probably come from the draft on Day-2.

OT - A couple 2013 UDFAs still hanging around for potential development in their 2nd year and draft weekend might bring another. Svitek probably get re-upped for another year.

OG/OC - pretty much the same as OT. Wendell probably gets a new contract, whether the majority here likes that or not, with guys like Kline, Barker, etc. in development behind him (and Connolly). In any case, it's unlikely any of the FAs with any starter potential will be available at reasonable money.

DEFENSE:

DE - The FA's who'd be likely to have an immediate impact are all likely to be too expensive - including Arthur Jones, unfortunately. One of the older guys, maybe trying to find another Carter, or one of the younger guys who hasn't done well elsewhere, and/or a late-round flyer in the draft are the affordable avenues. The Saints seem almost certain to cut Will Smith who BB has long admired. His 2014 cap number is $13.9M, but his dead money hit is only $2.35M.

DT - Maybe another older (cheap) vet for camp and probably a draft pick at some point, but Siliga seems like he may be enough to lessen the need to spend early.

LB - Seems likely to me that BB could grab a 2nd-tier FA as depth going into the draft where I think he may take a flyer on one.

CB - I'm thinking that BB signs a FA, the quality of whom may be in inverse proportion to the likelihood of Talib being re-signed. There's actually a lot to choose from this season.

SAF - Adrian Wilson my be in the "didn't pan out" file. Tavon Wilson - it's hard to know. Just because he's at the bottom of this depth chart doesn't necessarily mean he's awful, but ... There are a few vets on the FA list who could be okay depth signings (like Adrian Wilson), and a late-round/UDFA signing is probably in the cards anyway.

Bottom line, as always, is that we can make all the wish lists we want, but we're unlikely to see a big name FA signing for the 2014 roster.

Signing MCcown is going to be too much money, he could be starting somewhere next year, he is not going to take 900k to be a backup here. The pats really have never done that very much, get a vet, its usually teams that have injury issues with their QB's. I can see them drafting another guy but not bringing in a guy they have to pay more money too. As far as TE, I am not sure we can let us get outbid, we need a viable pass catcher at that spot, Gronk cannot be relied on, you would think after 3 years they would have figured this by now, we cannot go into another year with "If gronk goes down" its over. We have had zero depth at pass catcher and its bit us. There are spots that need improvement on this team and have for awhile.

I think the two biggest priorities needs to be upgrading the defensive pass rush and wide receiver. Manning was not knocked down a single time on Sunday and that was one of the reasons why we were shredded so consistently. Maybe another offseason for Chandler Jones to get strong plus a healthy Wilfork and Kelly will prove to be the difference, but a contingency plan would be nice. Not sure we can afford Arthur Jones, but who knows.

I wonder if Amendola was so ineffective this season because he was playing hurt. He couldn't ever really get separation from DB's and that was never really an issue when he was healthy in STL. Maybe if healthy he is a step faster than this season which results in a pretty damn good WR. A healthy Dobson as a deep threat would be huge, but can we continue to rely on this "IF's"? Maybe go out and grab a Sanders, Maclin or Decker if possible.

Signing MCcown is going to be too much money, he could be starting somewhere next year, he is not going to take 900k to be a backup here. The pats really have never done that very much, get a vet, its usually teams that have injury issues with their QB's. I can see them drafting another guy but not bringing in a guy they have to pay more money too. As far as TE, I am not sure we can let us get outbid, we need a viable pass catcher at that spot, Gronk cannot be relied on, you would think after 3 years they would have figured this by now, we cannot go into another year with "If gronk goes down" its over. We have had zero depth at pass catcher and its bit us. There are spots that need improvement on this team and have for awhile.

Ditto here. Had no pass catching depth at TE and it killed us.

Back