Trouble shooting "speakers unplugged"

BostonTim

IIWII
Reaction score
Speakers Xed out - trouble shoot says not plugged in. Disconnected external speakers. Still "unplugged" - nothing changed.

TS Suggestions? WAGs? TIA

Cheers, TeckyTim

What device are we talking about? Computer?

Sent from my Enigma Device

Check the wire.

Where the wire connects to the connector push each end of the wire into the formed connector and see if there is any indication of the unit reading the speaker.

That is what I would try.

It is the only idea I have.

Check the wire.

Where the wire connects to the connector push each end of the wire into the formed connector and see if there is any indication of the unit reading the speaker.

That is what I would try.

It is the only idea I have.
Think I've done that. Plus. when I disconnect and go to the silly on board tin-horn horn. it still says unplugged. So I don't think it's that. But I don't know anything. Anyway, thanks for you help. :thumb: Appreciated.

Cheers

---------- Post added at 05:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:39 PM ----------

What device are we talking about? Computer?

Dell Vostro 230 mini tower. Welcome back to the 20th century.

Cheers

OK, simple question.

In the back, you should have multiple mini stereo input ports.

That's the receptacle to accept these connectors.

audio_stereo_1_8_small.jpg

Unless you've got a 5.1 setup, the speakers should be connected to the green port.

Blue is the sound input and the microphone would be pink or red.

So are you plugged into the correct port?

Also, depending on your sound card driver, you may be able to reassign the port.

For those driver software packages that allow that, there is an option somewhere that will prompt you to confirm what the device is when you plug it in.

What sound driver do you have?

Poke around in the system tray and find the sound information in the lower right bin.

What is it?

I assumed that the speakers themselves are powered.

Yes and they are on. again, when i ungug from the line out connection, the onboard is dead also.

So it looks like sound card or even worse, sound is on integrated do it all card.

Maybe getting near time to switch to full time laptop and bury the dinosaurs.

:facepalm:

Thanks

Have you thoroughly checked the software settings? Do you have the little speaker icon in the lower right? Can you click it and adjust the volume? Have you gone to control panel, sound and made sure all the settings look correct in there? Does the sound card have a line out AND a speaker port?

Yes and they are on. again, when i ungug from the line out connection, the onboard is dead also.

So it looks like sound card or even worse, sound is on integrated do it all card.

Maybe getting near time to switch to full time laptop and bury the dinosaurs.

:facepalm:

Thanks

Generally speaking, you can get a more powerful and capable PC with a desktop than a laptop for any given sell price.

Also, you have the option to change or replace components by swapping out cards as has been suggested for your sound card.

So unless you need the portability of a laptop, you're probably better off going with a desktop.

If you only use it for internet, e-mail, etc. you should consider a tablet instead of a laptop.

Have you thoroughly checked the software settings? Do you have the little speaker icon in the lower right? Can you click it and adjust the volume? Have you gone to control panel, sound and made sure all the settings look correct in there? Does the sound card have a line out AND a speaker port?

OK Thanks UT, thanks all. Fixed details later on.

Cheers

Control Panel to Hardware & Sound to Sound to Manage Audio Devices to TWO Choices

Speakers disabled
HiDef Headphones enabled

Switch and voila.

And again, Thanks UT, thanks all.

Cheers

Back