UDFAs

mayoclinic

Sith Apprentice
Reaction score
With the lockout back in effect until the 8th Circuit figures things out, teams are not allowed to contact potential UDFAs. But there are a lot of talented guys out there once the lockout is lifted. A couple of lists of potential targets:

http://www.draftinsider.net/blog/?p=5339
http://www.draftcountdown.com/Results/Undrafted.php

Normally the feeding frenzy starts the moment the draft ends. This year teams will have lots of time to identify their favorite targets. Who do you like?

Ugo Chinasa, Kendric Burney, Herzelich and Lefeged please

Draftinsider should check again. i saw Beal and 2 or 3 other drafted players on their list

I like:

- Joe Lefeged, S, Rutgers. James Sanders' contract is up after 2011, and Lefeged could be a nice replacement.
- Mark Herzlich, LB, Boston College. Too much heart and soul not to give him a chance.
- Ricardo Lockette, WR, Fort Valley St. 6'2" 210# with 4.37 speed. He could just be another Bethel Johnson, but at least he wouldn't cost a 2nd round pick, and he will stretch the field. Should be great on STs, too.
- Brandon Bair, DE/OLB, Oregon. 6'6" 260#. Played DT, so he should be able to handle blockers. Raw, but put him on the PS and give him a year to learn the conversion. What's to lose? Besides, Box likes him, and Box is always right.
- Mario Fannin, RB, Auburn. Great size/speed and good hands. Will compete for 5th RB along with the military kids.
- Willie Smith, OT East Carolina / David Mims, OT, Virginia Union. Lots of upside, cheap cost. You can't have too many OTs.
- Will Yeatman, TE, Maryland. Could convert to OT. Yeatman and Lee Smith would be beastly as blocking TEs.
- Henry Hynoski, FB, Pittsburgh. If the Pats ever wanted a true FB, this would be the guy.
- One of the many available OC prospects. We should never have cut Ted Larsen - Koppen's replacement could be in house if we had put Nick Kaczur on IR right away. Lots of guys to choose from.

Brandon Bair DE Oregon
Jarriel King T South Carolina
Ray Dominguez G Arkansas
Cedric Thornton DT Southern Arkansas
Jeremy Beal DE Oklahoma
Willie Smith T East Carolina
Mark Herzlich ILB Boston College
Ryan Bartholomew C Syracuse
David Mims T Virginia Union
Marc Schiechl DE Colorado Mines
Graig Cooper RB Miami-Fl

Big Cat Country profile on WR Ricardo Lockette:

Height: 6-2

Weight: 211lbs

PROS:
Fantastic physical abilities. Amazing speed and leaping ability for his size. Has some of the best physical tools of any wide receiver in the draft. Gets open down the football field with good separation often. Shows good body control and can make leaping grabs. Despite questionable hands catches the ball with his hands and doesn’t let the ball get into his body. Will be able to make an immediate impact as a kick returner.

CONS: Doesn’t have great hands and tends to drop a lot of easy passes. Still very raw as a wide receiver. Didn’t play against great competition and relied on his speed to produce. Despite his physical advantage at his level wasn’t the leading receiver on his team. More of a track guy than football player right now, but offers huge upside as a receiver. Publicly blamed his poor statistics on his quarterback and offensive scheme in college. Will need to work heavily on his route running. Failed a drug test for too much testosterone after a 2009 track meet. Originally recruit by Auburn but could not qualify.

http://www.bigcatcountry.com/2011/3...t-profile-ricardo-lockette-fort-valley-st-wr

Drew Boylhart draft profile on Brandon Bair:

Brandon Bair DE/DT Oregon
TALENT BOARD - Round 2

STRENGTHS

Brandon has the size and athletic agility to be an excellent 2-gap, 3-4 defensive end for the team that drafts him. He has those long arms that make it easy for him to keep blockers off his legs. He is strong, can handle double teams and hold them up so others can make tackles for little gain. Brandon is a head up, wrap up, squeeze and drive tackler. He has good quickness and, if his opponent makes a mistake in defending him, Brandon will make them pay dearly. Brandon is a smart player and works well with his teammates. He shows leadership skills through his play on the field. He has excellent mental toughness and stamina and is the type of player that gets better as the game goes on. He wears his opponent down mentally and physically, which allows him to step up at the end of a game and be able to make an impact play. Brandon is a quality football player. He reminds me a lot of a former player who played for the Buffalo Bills, Phil Hanson. Phil was a core player and a fan favorite who played defensive end in a 3-4 defense for the Bills for 10 years.

CONCERNS
Brandon does not have the elite explosion off the line that others do in this draft to rush the passer. He also doesn't have very many pass rushing moves because his main responsibility was to stop the run. He also is older than most in this draft, which is considered a negative by most, but not by me. I doubt Brandon will be drafted very high, but I don't doubt his ability to impact at the next level for the team that drafts him.

BOTTOM LINE
Brandon seems to be under the radar and I have no idea why. Maybe if Brandon had played his last game buck naked someone would have noticed him. You might ask yourself, "Why draft a player as old as Brandon?" Here's a few reasons why you would draft Brandon: he has excellent talent, makes tackles and was an integral part of his team's defense for the last two years. Bottom line: he will impact the day after you draft him. I know he is not the pass rusher some are in this draft, but he might be one of the best run stuffing defensive ends in this draft. Oh, and by the way, he can rush the passer if you need him to. Doesn't that count for something? All I can tell you is Brandon is a sleeper pick in this draft and no matter what round your team drafts him in, consider yourselves lucky. He will make your defense better the day after you draft him. I'll give him a name... Brandon (Buck Naked) Bair. How's that?!

Bair ran a 4.92 40 and had a 7.07 3-cone at the Combine at 6'6" 276#. He has 33" arms. Shades of Danny Watkins - he's already 26.

Brandon Bair DE Oregon
Jarriel King T South Carolina
Ray Dominguez G Arkansas
Cedric Thornton DT Southern Arkansas
Jeremy Beal DE Oklahoma
Willie Smith T East Carolina
Mark Herzlich ILB Boston College
Ryan Bartholomew C Syracuse
David Mims T Virginia Union
Marc Schiechl DE Colorado Mines
Graig Cooper RB Miami-Fl

Beal went to the Broncos at #247.

How about DeAndre McDaniel? Was predicted to go 3rd-4th rounds and ends up undrafted. What the hell did the kid do? Joe Lefeged too? That guy was one of my binkys.

Joe Lefeged Scouting Report
<table align="right" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="5" width="240"> <tbody><tr> <td width="30">
</td><td width="210"><center>
josephlefeged.jpg
<center>Joe Lefeged
</center></center></td> </tr> </tbody></table>​
http://sidelinescouting.com/rankings/s/editor-content.html?cs=utf-8 Joe Lefeged - Rutgers (HT: 5-11⅝ - WT: 210)
Combine 40: 4.43 - Position Rank: 10 of 35

<table align="left" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="5" width="130"> <tbody><tr> <td><center>
rutgers.gif

</center></td> </tr> </tbody></table>​
Positives: Has excellent speed, ran the fastest 40 at the combine amongst safeties (4.43)... Has a good frame for a strong safety and kick returner, possesses adequate bulk and good height... Is pretty physical for his size, has the ability to make the big hit, forced eight fumbles in four years at Rutgers including four in 2010... Is a great special teams performer, may find an immediate role as a special teamer in the NFL... Has good instincts in coverage, is pretty quick to locate the football... Has pretty good ball skills, does a good job of getting to the ball at its highest point.

Reuter gives his opinion of the top UDFAs and then lists the top UDFAs by position.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/...t-ends-these-undrafted-players-will-get-calls

And from ESPN

1. S Joseph Lefeged, Rutgers

He possesses a nice combination of size and straight-line speed. In addition, he is an experienced and versatile special teams contributor who has blocked four kicks in the past two seasons.2. CB Kendric Burney, North Carolina

Burney's lack of size (5-foot-9, 193 pounds) and top-end speed (4.74 in the 40) is likely an underlying reason he went undrafted. However, he possesses the instincts, short-area quickness and ball skills to add depth for a heavy Cover 2 scheme. 3. DT Cedric Thornton, Southern Arkansas

Thorton possesses the quickness and strength to develop into a wave one-gap DT for a base 4-3 scheme.4. WR Darvin Adams, Auburn

Adams lacks suddenness and top-end speed with his routes; however, he is a smooth athlete who possesses the body control and hands to develop into a fourth or fifth receiver at the next level.5. S DeAndre McDaniel, Clemson

McDaniel has limitations in terms of fluidity and top-end speed in the backend. However, he has the size, strength and enough instincts to become an effective in-the-box safety.6. S Jeron Johnson, Boise State

Johnson is still developing in terms of instincts and discipline in coverage, but has enough athleticism and competitiveness to develop into a potential sub-package reserve at the safety position.7. DT Ian Williams, Notre Dame

Williams is a limited athlete with a squatty build who provides him with natural leverage to develop into a wave NT for a base 4-3 scheme.8. OLB Mark Herzlich, Boston College

Herzlich lacks elite athleticism especially when asked to play in space, however he is an instinctive and relentless defender who can develop into a strong reserve SLB.9. RB Derrick Locke, Kentucky

The undersized back has the quickness, lateral movement and competitive running style to become an effective change-of-pace back at the next level.10. ILB Nicholas Bellore, Central Michigan

Bellore has the instincts and toughness to be an effective two-down run stopper at the ILB position.
http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft2011/insider/news/story?id=6457506

My late draft/UDFA binkie Jamar Newsome. WR Central Florida.

Good size, smooth hands, great balance, nice acceleration.

He might not have the deep speed of an elite prospect, but something tells me that this kid has it.

<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/c9lZqIC2Ihc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I cannot believe Herzlich didn't get drafted.:shake::sulk:

I cannot believe Herzlich didn't get drafted.:shake::sulk:

I can't either. I find it hard to believe that a kid that has made such big strides to get back to where he was in a relatively short time can't continue to get better and justify a lower draft selection.

Let's just hope he lands in Foxboro and the rehab continues until someday he gets where he deserves to be.

I think it would be a very smart move.

Back