we knew it would come to this

You must be a politician or media member. You carefully select a few points to "prove" your point. You come to our house, call the team the Patsies, and expect us to all of a sudden want to talk about the JEST with you? Look around this forum. There are plenty of excellent football discussions. There will likely be a pregame thread at some point. Wait for it. Just because you register and immediately start bitching, doesn't mean that we'll each list our thoughts on the game just for you. Oh, and Brontosauraus Rex jokes are funny in every language.

They're just old and everybody thinks they're a comedian. And please, Patsies, Jests, Dollfans & Jills are just standards.

I think it will be a great game. And I like Rex Ryan - he's original, he's got the Jets believing in themselves, and he's a very good coach no matter what his style. His style grates on me, but I'm sure part of that is calculated. He's very clever - Mangini just tried to copy BB; Ryan knows he can't win that game, so he's gone in the opposite direction and cast himself as the anti-BB.

I think you've hit the nail on the head. The biggest question will be whether the Jets can stop the Pats offense. Brady has been operating on a 2007 level the past 3 games. The Steelers couldn't slow him down. Indy and Detroit aren't particularly imposing defenses, but Pittsburgh is. The Pats' OL gave him very good protection most of the time (except for the 1st half of the Detroit game). If the Jets can't get Brady out of his comfort zone - and they don't have as much talent to do so as Pittsburgh, so they'll have to rely on stunts and ruses - then he'll pick them apart. Cleveland managed to confuse Brady with the amoeba, and I'm sure Rex will pick up on what his brother did. But Brady seems to be operating on a very high level right now.

I don't think the Jets have enough offense to stay with Brady if he continues to perform on the level of the past 3 weeks. I don't think anyone outside of Indy and NO do, and possibly GB do. The Pats play the Jets, Chicago and Green Bay in the next 3 weeks - 3 of the top 5 defenses in the NFL. If Brady can keep up his level of play against those defenses then the Pats can win it all. If not, then I don't think we have enough defense to go all the way.

Our defense has been improving considerably despite giving up a bunch of points and yards. Sanchez has played very well this year, but I expect BB to throw a lot of different looks at him and try and confuse him into mistakes.

If Sanchez plays mistake free and the Jets defense confuse Brady and get him out of his zone then the Jets probably win. Otherwise, I think the Pats win.

I really don't think we're going to be able to get Brady out of his comfort zone. Our pass rush is not very good and we're really missing Jenkins and his ability to collapse the middle of the OL.

The past 5 weeks, Sanchez has been playing much better and if you flush him out of the pocket that's where he seems to be the most dangerous.

It comes down to two things. Can your DL stop the run and can your corners stay on Homes & Edwards long enough to let your DL get to Sanchez.

It'll be a fun game to watch.

I think there's going to be an epic smackdown and the Jets are going to be on the wrong side of it. The Pats won't self destruct in the last few minutes of games as did some recent Jets opponents.

If the Jets dont play much better than they have the last 4 games this is a very good possibility.

A question for the Mods. There's a couple other Jets fans that are trying to register & post. They can log on but can't post. How come?

I really don't think we're going to be able to get Brady out of his comfort zone. Our pass rush is not very good and we're really missing Jenkins and his ability to collapse the middle of the OL.

The past 5 weeks, Sanchez has been playing much better and if you flush him out of the pocket that's where he seems to be the most dangerous.

It comes down to two things. Can your DL stop the run and can your corners stay on Homes & Edwards long enough to let your DL get to Sanchez.

It'll be a fun game to watch.

On Offense:

I think the big question is whether the Jets can mix things up and get Brady out of his zone. Cleveland did a great job of it. I'm sure Rex Ryan will be talkin to his brother, and will have some tricks up his sleeve. But I think Brady is playing at a much higher level, and has finally gotten back to his pre-injury form. He'll spread the ball around. I expect the TEs to be huge in this game, both in pass protection and as receivers. Hernandez has been quiet the past few games, but I expect him to get a lot of snaps and targets against the Jets. I don't think they have anyone who can stay with him.

The Jets run defense is solid but not invincible. BJGE has been running very well, and I expect to see a lot of Danny Woodhead, both out of the backfield and on draws and quick outside runs.

The Pats moved the ball well against the Jets in the first game until Revis went out, and Brady got focused on forcing the ball into Moss. That won't happen this game. He'll find the open man, and as long as Brady gets protection and doesn't get confused into throwing some picks I think the Pats will put up 25+ points.

On Defense:

I agree with you that stopping the run will be a key, and will be a priority for the Pats. I'm not too concerned about Tomlinson, who seems to be wearing down. But Cleveland killed us with a big physical RB in Hills, and Shonn Greene worries me. Again, Rex Ryan will be talking to his brother and reviewing a lot of film of the Cleveland game. If he doubles up on Wilfork and puts a man on Mayo at all times and runs Greene up the middle, the Pats need to show that they have learned from the Cleveland game.

Braylon Edwards doesn't concern me too much. I think the Pats put Kyle Arrington on him with some deep help from Meriweather. That combination was very effective against Randy Moss, and Edwards is no Randy Moss.

What worries me is the soft area of the zone between the LBs and the safeties. I think the danger for the Pats is Santonio Holmes on quick outs and crossing routes, and especially Dustin Keller. Keller has typically killed us, and is great at finding soft spots in zones and seams in coverage. I think that BB puts Devin McCourty 1-on-1 on Holmes. McCourty has the quickness, speed and instincts to stay with Holmes and not give up anything easy. He's not Revis yet, but he's shown signs that he could be. I think that the Pats have a man on Keller at all times - probably Pat Chung most of the time.

If the Jets are able to run the ball inside effectively with Greene and exploit the soft zone with Holmes and Keller, it will be a rough day for the Pats.

Sanchez has been much better this year than last, but he is still young and relatively inexperienced. I think the Pats will try to confuse him with different looks and coverages. They confused Manning into 3 INTs, and Sanchez isn't in Manning's class - no one is - when it comes to reading defenses. I think the CBs will have good enough coverage to give the front 7 time to get pressure on Sanchez, but if they can't contain him and allow him to get outside and extend plays I could see the coverage breaking down. That's where I could see Edwards being dangerous.

On Special Teams:

Both teams have explosive return men and all-purpose players in Brandon Tate and Brad Smith. Tate has slowed down after a fast start, but I think he is ready to break out again. Smith was obviously huge against Cincinnati. The Pats' kickoff coverage unit struggled against Detroit, and I'm sure they will be a major focus this week in the gameplan against the Jets. A big play on special teams for either league could change the game.

I'm a bit worried about Shayne Graham's short kickoffs. I've wondered whether we might see Zoltan Mesko kicking off at some point this year, as he has a huge leg. The combination of short kickoffs and Brad Smith scares me.

Turnovers favor the Pats too. They are much more careful with the ball, and are close to the league lead in takeaway / giveaway.
The Jets.. not so much.

IIRC your pass rush (sacks wise) was about average last year but your D was dominant anyway. RR does a good job with having little pass rush (sacks wise). I think that sack numbers (if that is what you mean by pass rush...I am not sure) sometimes say more about who is playing with big leads than it does about who has a better defense or what defense affects a QB more.
I have watched Jenks most of his career and while he is a good player and adjusted well to 3-4 NT, I don't think he is as big of a loss as maybe you do. Most of his defenses whether in Carolina or in NY have done pretty well after he has his annual injury.

What do you base having the best WRs on, height? The Patriots top WR, Welker is tied for 4th. The JEST top WR is Edwards at 39th. Pats #2 is Branch, tied for 42nd. Granted, he didn't join the team until well into the season, but the SB MVP chemistry with Brady is in full swing. JEST #2? [crickets] is not listed in the top 50.
Psst. It's Santonio Holmes. He missed the first few games, but in the last 4 he has 360 yards, 4 TDs, including 2 game winning receptions in OT. 19th in ypg, and tied for 26th in receptions of 20+ yards even missing 4 games. He's good.

But your point stands. The pure WRs are kind of a push, maybe a slight edge to the Patriots, but I'll take our receiving corps over the Jets:
Welker, Branch, Tate, Edelman, Hernandez, Gronk, Woodhead
over
Edwards, Holmes, Cotchery, Keller, Tomlinson

The flexibility of the 2 TEs being the biggest factor, now that they're more developed.

IIRC your pass rush (sacks wise) was about average last year but your D was dominant anyway. RR does a good job with having little pass rush (sacks wise). I think that sack numbers (if that is what you mean by pass rush...I am not sure) sometimes say more about who is playing with big leads than it does about who has a better defense or what defense affects a QB more.
I have watched Jenks most of his career and while he is a good player and adjusted well to 3-4 NT, I don't think he is as big of a loss as maybe you do. Most of his defenses whether in Carolina or in NY have done pretty well after he has his annual injury.

I don't really look at sacks as a major indicator of a good pass rush. I look at getting pressure in the QB's face and making him hurry his throws. Jenkins did that. He would collapse the pocket and make the QB throw before he was ready. We're missing that now.

Psst. It's Santonio Holmes. He missed the first few games, but in the last 4 he has 360 yards, 4 TDs, including 2 game winning receptions in OT. 19th in ypg, and tied for 26th in receptions of 20+ yards even missing 4 games. He's good.

But your point stands. The pure WRs are kind of a push, maybe a slight edge to the Patriots, but I'll take our receiving corps over the Jets:
Welker, Branch, Tate, Edelman, Hernandez, Gronk, Woodhead
over
Edwards, Holmes, Cotchery, Keller, Tomlinson

The flexibility of the 2 TEs being the biggest factor, now that they're more developed.

I still feel our WRs are better that what you have but I agree that the TE position is where you have the biggest advantage. Keller is an excellent receiver but he's been disapearing from the gameplan lately. Your 2 guys are huge parts of your offense and Brady uses them the way they should be used. It's going to be a big concern for the Jet's D.

Brad Smith is a Pats killer...can't forget about him.

Actually I do like Brad Smith. There are a handful of Rats players that I like such as Smith, David Harris, and Nick Mangold. Good players who just play at a high level and keep their mouths shut. The Rats have too few of that type of player though.

Actually I do like Brad Smith. There are a handful of Rats players that I like such as Smith, David Harris, and Nick Mangold. Good players who just play at a high level and keep their mouths shut. The Rats have too few of that type of player though.

oh yeah...because you hear so much from cromartie, Sanchez, Tomlinson. Greene, Rchardson, Cotchery, Keller, Leonhards...thos guys just dont shut up

8 weeks ago, Brian Baldinger said the Pats traded Moss and brought in Branch to better compete with the Jets. What's he saying now? Just what Pats fans everywhere are thinking.

“(Tom) Brady is probably throwing it as well as he’s ever thrown it,” Baldinger told the Herald in a phone interview Friday. “But they’ve eliminated a lot of the low-percentage type throws, those 40-yard streaks down the sidelines. So it’s really (playing) to Tom’s strength right now, just point and shoot and get the ball out of his hands quickly. Since the Cleveland game, that offense has been awfully sharp. It’s a good-looking offense right now.”
It’s Baldinger’s belief that teams that employ a passing attack more reliant on short and intermediate routes than the deep ball have greater success against the Jets defense, which blitzes a lot and goes all out to pressure the quarterback. With Moss running his standard fly patterns against Gang Green, Brady rarely had the time to get him the ball, essentially eliminating one of his options.

“I think (the Jets) have much better luck against guys like Terrell Owens and Chad Ochocinco and Andre Johnson than they do against Wes Welker and Deion Branch and Danny Woodhead,” Baldinger said. “I think those matchups are much tougher. If you look, they’ve already benched their safety Brodney Pool, and started Eric Smith (against Cincinnati) because they haven’t covered tight ends well. The middle of the field has been a problem.”
It was a problem in the first half of the Week 2 meeting between the AFC East archrivals. The Jets couldn’t cover Hernandez (six catches, 101 yards) or Welker (six catches, 38 yards) between the hash marks. When there was a shift in coverage in the second half, Brady was forced to go away from those two targets. Instead, he looked to Moss, who had single coverage. But though Brady targeted Moss six times, he ended up with more interceptions (two) in the half than completions to Moss (zero).
Baldinger also believes Jets castoff Woodhead will cause his former team fits in their prime-time showdown. The Pats picked up Woodhead the day before their Week 2 meeting after he’d been waived by the Jets. He was inactive for that game, but has played in every one since.
“There’s no question Danny Woodhead is going to be featured in this game,” Baldinger said. “It’s going to be one more way to stick it to the Jets. I can just see Woodhead in (Belichick’s) office right now, and them designing some plays for him, things they’re going to do with him, to hurt the Jets. I can just see it. He’s a problem. He’s a problem for everybody.”
Baldinger agrees with those critics who say the Jets defense hasn’t performed anywhere near the level it did last year, when it was a dominant force, the signature of their run to the AFC Championship Game. That should also play into the hands of the Patriots.
“They don’t look like an intimidating defense to me. And they were all of that this year,” Baldinger said of the Jets. “They’re just not pressuring the quarterback. If you give Tom time, the way he’s playing right now, I don’t care who’s covering, he’s going find the open guy, or at least, the guy that’s open enough to throw it to.”
All that said, while the Jets were 28-14 winners in Round 1 at New Meadowlands Stadium on Sept. 19. Baldinger is leaning toward the Pats this time.
http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-...4688503/quick-hit-thoughts-around-nfl-pats-35

oh yeah...because you hear so much from cromartie, Sanchez, Tomlinson. Greene, Rchardson, Cotchery, Keller, Leonhards...thos guys just dont shut up
Cronsidering Cromartie can't even remember the names of his children, he probably shouldn't speak. Tomlinson is the single biggest whiny sandy vagina that has ever put on pads. Ever.

Tomlinson?? Good Lord, the biggest crybaby the Pats ever played against?

But, damn that guy has class......

Back