Week 7 2022, The Bears At Gillette

The offense playcallers doubled down on the crappy chuck it deep offense. 3 INTs on the night. Idiots who keep going away from the power run offense.

I don't think the Pats thought that daBears would show up...they clearly overlooked them.

Zap/E started off good...and then fell back to earth. He definitely needs to work on his shortcomings.

The defense was hungovuh...

I don't think you can blame Belichick for pulling Jones there. Preceding the interception he had two shaky drives where he was showing the same issues with getting skittish in the pocket and missing open players.

The QB didn't matter tonight given how poor the defense was. Zappe didn't cover himself in glory but he made some plays. He's the guy I'd like to see be the starter going forward but we'll see how it goes.

Remember, Zappe didn't have the overall reps this week. That's the issue with not making a clear decision, which has never been the problem with a BB run team. That's the biggest issue right now. Kraft must be pissed off to all hell right now. This is a big sign of someone who doesn't have the teams best interest in mind.

BB should be having a very serious conversation with Kraft right now.

What a night.

Giving Belichick the benefit of the doubt, here's my read on things:

The ideal outcome was Jones would start, respond extremely well, cleanup his issues from earlier in the season, and play the majority of the game. If they were up late, Zappe would come in for relief duty.

I think the "play both QBs" narrative was generated to cover Jones in the event he had to be sat for performance reasons. IMO, the fact Jones was sat - and sat so early - indicates Belichick had considered this before the game and determined it was a real possibility. This wasn't a game where the keys to the car were given back to Jones; it was an opportunity to respond.

Despite the obfuscating postgame and the insistence that this was the plan all along, looking at Jones' response to being sat, "I'm out", and his postgame presser, where he seemed to strongly imply he was sat because of his performance, I think it's clear the decision to sit him was not scripted but the result of performance: "Yeah, I think we had a good plan as always, just to go throughout the week and figure out what we wanna do for the game, and coach Belichick was very good about communication, and felt like I was good to play. And we had a good plan there, and just obviously didn't play well enough there."

Where does that lead us? We'll find out. The team needs clarity, not only for consistency on the practice field and in preparation/game-planning, but also in order to rally behind one of these guys and move forward collectively. I doubt that's lost on Belichick and I expect he'll sort this out early in the week.

We're onto the Jets.

Last edited:
Thank god this was too late for me to have seen it. I listened to the post-game show on Patriots.com on the way to work, and it's depressing.

For all the offense woes and the now QB controversy, the defence seems to be the real culprit. A unit that was being touted as one of the leagues best clearly had a woeful night with the run D, feeble. It does show to me how vital Barmore is. Not saying he would have fixed this, but he's so good he makes things happen for other guys.

Again, a mobile QB kills us. We made Jackson look the leagues best QB and he's not playing well all season, Fields kills us and I am now terrified of the prospect of Josh Allen facing this defense. Good god.

Bill seems to have royally fucked up with the QBs. Starts Mac and then pulls him very quickly. The pundits are saying he clearly wanted to play them both. It backfired.

O Line poor, Trent Brown 4 penalties.....And even ST. Bailey was crap with the punts they're saying.

1. Bears had the 2nd worst run defense in the league and the Patriots only ran with Mondre+Harris 14 times. This is idiotic offensive playcalling and game planning by Patricia, Judge, and Evan Rothstein.

2. Fields’ 74 QB rushing yards in the first half was the most ever given up by a BB defense, ever in 21 years as Pats coach. Patriots defense gave up another 250 yard rushing game, these happen way too often now with a front7 led by frauds in Bentley and Godchaux

3. Mac Jones is being ruined by Joe Judge (worst offense in the league last year on the Giants). They went back to the moronic chuck it deep offense instead of power run, play action, and quick short passes.

1. Bears had the 2nd worst run defense in the league and the Patriots only ran with Mondre+Harris 14 times. This is idiotic offensive playcalling and game planning by Patricia, Judge, and Evan Rothstein.

2. Fields’ 74 QB rushing yards in the first half was the most ever given up by a BB defense, ever in 21 years as Pats coach. Patriots defense gave up another 250 yard rushing game, these happen way too often now with a front7 led by frauds in Bentley and Godchaux

3. Mac Jones is being ruined by Joe Judge (worst offense in the league last year on the Giants). They went back to the moronic chuck it deep offense instead of power run, play action, and quick short passes.

Goose eggs all around.

Defense gave up 260 yds rushing. Didn't come to play.
Bears' game plan to have Fields roll out on pass plays was new for them & made our front 7 look like rookies. It was very effective for the Bears.
STs (punting) gave the Bears short fields all night. WTF
Offense Line wasn't effective run blocking or pass pro. Obvious the first 2 possessions and didn't get much better. Didn't come to play.
Receivers weren't getting open. Seeing Mac have to bail and run multiple times during his short stint made me cringe.
Trent Browns' uncharacteristic mistakes/penalties were drive killers early.
Coaching & game planning had an off week. Embarrassed and should be.
The QB situation was a major distraction all week. BB should have seen that coming.
Turnovers.

The Bears capitalized on the Patriots' many mistakes. Give them credit.

Now bury that effing ball before the Jets have their way with us, too.

I'm annoyed with the way the QB situation was handled. It will lead now to unnecessary distractions and you now have two QBs who's confidence has been damaged.

Bill stated in the post-game presser that Mac's health was a factor in the plan to pay two QBs. If that was the case, DON'T PLAY HIM ffs. He should have left Mac sidelined and started Zappe, and then if Zappe had played the whole game shit, you could have at least said, oh well, it was worth playing Zappe to see how he's fare, but Mac is the starter, let's get him back in there for other Jets and the games going forward.

This was a mess by Bill, Matt and Judge. And it has solved nothing with who starts now going forward.

I'm annoyed with the way the QB situation was handled. It will lead now to unnecessary distractions and you now have two QBs who's confidence has been damaged.

Bill stated in the post-game presser that Mac's health was a factor in the plan to pay two QBs. If that was the case, DON'T PLAY HIM ffs. He should have left Mac sidelined and started Zappe, and then if Zappe had played the whole game shit, you could have at least said, oh well, it was worth playing Zappe to see how he's fare, but Mac is the starter, let's get him back in there for other Jets and the games going forward.

This was a mess by Bill, Matt and Judge. And it has solved nothing with who starts now going forward.
Yup. This is the kind of indecisive idiocy you expect from rookie coaches, not BB.

The mess they've created at QB is concerning. It's possible that neither guy gets back on track now if they don't figure this out quick.

Back