We're on to Buffalo: Gamete Thread

Jimmy is always hurt and it's always the same kind of injury - a sprain. Can people be injury prone? When injuries are always related the way his are there's a genetic component
to evaluate. Here's a list of injuries. Every injury is a sprain of some sort. (ACL is technically a sprain)

Injury History​

DateLeagueInjuryDetails
Sep 18, 2016NFLShoulder A/C Joint SprainGaroppolo returned to the #2 role behind Tom Brady in Week 5.
Sep 23, 2018NFLKnee ACL Tear Grade 3Garoppolo tore his left ACL late in Week 3 and missed the rest of the season. He had surgery Oct. 3.
Sep 20, 2020NFLPedal Ankle (high) Sprain Grade 3Garoppolo picked up a high right ankle sprain during the Week 2 win against the Jets. He missed two games
Nov 1, 2020NFLPedal Ankle (high) Sprain Grade 3Garoppolo suffered an ankle injury during Week 8's contest at Seattle. He missed the rest of the season.
Oct 3, 2021NFLLeg Calf StrainGaroppolo sustained a calf injury during Week 4's contest against the Seahawks

Now he's sprained his thumb where the ligament inserts to the bone.
All his injuries point to a genetic issue causing weak fibrous connective tissue (ligaments and tendons) and the pattern will continue with him til the day he retires imo.
Next possible bad injury? Just a guess - he's the right age for an achilles injury.
Ouch...there's probably some truth to this. Some families have a history of cancer, heart disease, etc.

@chevss454
i'm a huge believer in a lot of things having genetic components, so your post makes a lot of sense.
what's next in prospect evaluation? asking for genetic testing of a player and his family? 😄

@chevss454
i'm a huge believer in a lot of things having genetic components, so your post makes a lot of sense.
what's next in prospect evaluation? asking for genetic testing of a player and his family? 😄

genetic testing is a lot easier than you think and could actually be done during a physical.

Last edited:
Are you asking for a revisionist take with hindsight? It appears that is what you are asking but I can't be sure from the wording. If my assumption is correct... I think it would be hard to make any kind of evaluation on Lance because he hasn't played much (not sure what that means really, could be good, could be bad). So I would not like to put him in the order but will leave that to you instead.

With that in mind;
  • Lawrence
  • Fields
  • Jones
  • Wilson
How about you?

* Lawrence. Has looked bad at times, but I'd seen enough of him at Clemson to want him. I blame the shitshow that is Jacksonville.

* Jones. The pundits can kiss my ass. It's just a matter of time, working the offseason program and natural physical maturation before he is really, really good.
Mac is going to be the same guy at this he was at 'Bama and that is pretty fucking good, indeed. He's a victim of people that look at his skinnyish frame and jug ears
and stereotype him. He's a better athlete with a better arm than the experts thought and the smart guys around football that have watched him agree. He's coming
off some shitty games which every rookie in history has had. I'm not worried about it. It's also OK if AFC opponents aren't worried about him. They'll figure it out
eventually.

* Lance. Pure speculation on my part. I can't prove I'm right and nobody can prove me wrong, but, he's got the tools ,the presence and seems very bright.

* Fields. There is something off with this guy. I know a lot of folks are impressed, but I wouldn't want to hand him the keys to the franchise. Great body and can run, but
way too many brain farts. Is he a leader?

* Wilson. Big arm, runs pretty well but he looks completely overmatched with pro Ds. He's a shorter version of Rob Johnson.

Back