Wes: No progress

Two years and 16 million dollars is not exactly "balking at paying star players"

Oh, I agree they're all ridiculously paid! But what I mean is, when guys in the league look around and see what others playing their position are paid, then look at themselves and their accomplishments, I can see where they might think... hmm... I should be getting more.

:shrug:

Oh, I agree they're all ridiculously paid! But what I mean is, when guys in the league look around and see what others playing their position are paid, then look at themselves and their accomplishments, I can see where they might think... hmm... I should be getting more.

Well depending on where he is looking, if he looks at the redskins for his judgement, he might also notice they have not won much of anything in a decade. So as it was with Branch, you have a choice to make. The Patriots have the same cap number that every other team has, they are right up against it every year, they are not short changing anyone.

Two years and 16 million dollars is not exactly "balking at paying star players"

This. When do people start figuring this out?

2/16 and 1/9.5 both put him in the top 5 of ALL WR salary.

If he thinks he can get more elsewhere, by all means let him try. :coffee:

Truth of the matter is that Welker gets hit a lot, that he's getting older and that looking for a 4-5 year extension is not really reasonable to the team.

They pretty much offered him the best deal possible and he turned it down because he wants to play for another 5 years.

With the "contract talks are actually worse" rather than a generic answer like "it's an ongoing process but I'm looking forward to playing football" I'm not sure Wes is helping his case. I really dislike the huge paydays for the WRs during this offseason (Garcon, Jackson, etc) because it really hikes up the price for some of our own guys. I still firmly believe that Wes will be traded as we have other WRs that we have signed for cheap and might still be effective, but regardless he really should probably keep his mouth shut, especially when he's getting paid 9 million for a year of play.

FWIW, I really can't blame players like Welker for wanting long-term deals, when they've earned it.

And he has.

I know how your organization handles these things and all, but when your coach is the highest-paid in the league, and yet they balk at paying their star players, it kinda has me scratching my head sometimes.

I mean, BB owes a lot of his success to those star players.

BB's contract doesn't count against the cap.

With the "contract talks are actually worse" rather than a generic answer like "it's an ongoing process but I'm looking forward to playing football" I'm not sure Wes is helping his case. I really dislike the huge paydays for the WRs during this offseason (Garcon, Jackson, etc) because it really hikes up the price for some of our own guys. I still firmly believe that Wes will be traded as we have other WRs that we have signed for cheap and might still be effective, but regardless he really should probably keep his mouth shut, especially when he's getting paid 9 million for a year of play.

I think there is an attitude of resignation to both his signing the tender and his going public with the state of negotiations. By signing the Tender he does a couple of things. First he locks in a big cap number that doubtlessly the Pats are willing to live with but would rather not. Second he gets to play his "do the right thing" card and exert whatever little amount of leverage that can come from having the fans and the media rooting for you.

By revealing the steps backwards in negotiations, he adds a touch more leverage, and a touch more pressure to the front office.

I think he does this knowing it's a long shot, but his best shot. I think he does it with a mindset that says at least I get the 1 Big payday and I can make that work for me and my family even if it's my last big paycheck. I think he's betting on having a great and healthy year, and if he does that, he either gets a deal here or elsewhere, or he gets the eleven + million that would come with being-re-tendered.

He knows who and what the Pats are and is simply surviving as best he can.

Cheers, BostonTim

He's not going to win a PR battle with the Patriots, nor guilt them into paying him a contract he's not really worthy of.

He should get on the phone with Richard Seymour or Lawyer Milloy or hell, even Deion Branch if he doesn't believe me.

Sign a contract or don't. But this garbage in the press makes Welker look awful for any potential team going forward.

They watch ESPN too.

BB's contract doesn't count against the cap.

Well, of course I know that!

I'm just sayin, to me, it's kinda like a CEO who's raking in huge profits for himself, telling his employees that the company can't afford em.

I'm just sayin, to me, it's kinda like a CEO who's raking in huge profits for himself, telling his employees that the company can't afford em.

I think it is more that the philosophy is why not spend less on more players than spend more on one player? We've got 12 WRs here already, I think the team would rather pay less for 12 guys to make a combined price that Welker is asking for. I'm not sure when the 7.5 million dollar contract for Belichick was signed so I don't know how much relevance it has here but it's all signing more for less.

CEO's of companies are not limited by a cap they have to stay under. BB has to build a team, not make warm fuzzies with a player that can be replaced.

I'm not sure when the 7.5 million dollar contract for Belichick was signed so I don't know how much relevance it has here but it's all signing more for less.

Doesn't matter WHEN it was signed, it has ZERO to do with players pay in anyway. He's paid the big bucks to get Welker (and everyone else) for a good price. He's not paid to "guilt trip" himself over his own salary. :coffee:

Cheers, BostonTim

FWIW, I really can't blame players like Welker for wanting long-term deals, when they've earned it.

And he has.

I know how your organization handles these things and all, but when your coach is the highest-paid in the league, and yet they balk at paying their star players, it kinda has me scratching my head sometimes.

Except that BB's salary has nothing to do with the salary cap.

BB is the best coach in NFL history BECAUSE he manages the cap better than anyone else.

And he has.

Would you be happy with the Colts trading a high pick or two to the Pats for Welker? Would you then like to turn around and sign him to a 4 or 5 year deal for big money?

Would you be happy with the Colts trading a high pick or two to the Pats for Welker? Would you then like to turn around and sign him to a 4 or 5 year deal for big money?

If the colts offered a first rounder for welker, the pats would do it so quick the colts head would swim. Thats a top 5 pick.

I'm clearly not making myself clear here, so I'll just bow out.

It's really pretty easy to understand. If BB pays Player A $9M and Player B makes $3M and B has as good a year at the same position as A then it stands to reason that B wants $9M just like A gets. Iow, BB isn't about causing friction on the team because of 1 outlier contract especially when his alternatives to paying exorbitantly are pretty good.

I get his line of reasoning in how it might seem contradictory that the highest paid coach is so stingy about player contracts, but it really does not hold any credence here.

I get his line of reasoning in how it might seem contradictory that the highest paid coach is so stingy about player contracts, but it really does not hold any credence here.

Especially when the highest paid coach is underpaid in terms of actual productions in relation to both current NFL standards, and all-time NFL standards.

Belichick is ripped when he loses - but that's only because he doesn't lose very often. He's finished 1st or tied for 1st in the division every single season for the last 11 seasons. He is 16-6 in the playoffs. There's not another coach in the entire league who can say anything even close to that.

And there's not another team that has finished 1st or tied for 1st in 11 straight 16-game seasons. That's "ever".

Welker wants a long-term contract paid as the best WR in the game. (5/50 is still my guess as to what he's looking for).

Contracts in the NFL - of any kind - are not...I repeat...NOT based on past performance. They're based on future expectations.

Welker has never been the best WR in the NFL, and he's 31 years old. It is absolutely reasonable to expect that his production will only go down over time; not up.

So, it's reasonable to not just cave to Welker's demands. It's how responsible teams win going forward. 5 more years of identical production by Welker might give him Hall of Fame credentials. Right now, he's not even close to the Hall of Fame.

Why would you pay someone who's not a Hall of Famer top money for their position - especially considering their age and injury history (not including you-know-what)?

Bill Belichick? Lock Hall-of-Famer.

The most ridiculous part of this comparison is that while Belichick is the highest-paid coach in the league; he's nowhere near the highest paid person in the organization, and moreover, Welker is looking to make more money than Belichick is. That whole analogy is asinine.

Back