What do you use/like for hard drive backup?

Mark_Henderson

very stable genius
Reaction score
I know this is a football message board, not a tech forum, but I've gotten good computer advice from you guys over the years, so will try again.

I've gotten by without ever backing up my hard drives and have just been lucky (and maybe stupid), but now am sending my laptop to Dell to fix a problem (under 3 year coverage plan).

I was thinking I'd go with one of the online services like Carbonite. PC magazine likes Idrive and CrashPlan, though Idrive seems to have some negative user reviews and CrashPlan doesn't have File Explorer integration - not sure if that would affect ease of use, but I just want to one time upload and download if I have to, as easily as possible.

Do you guys have any thoughts on what options you like to use for this? I could just go over to Microcenter and buy a USB hard drive backup, but I'm leaning toward just putting stuff on the cloud for now.

Thanks.

Time Machine. I have every computer backed up to 2TB NAS and Apple's Time Machine does the rest.

Cake and Pie.

Every time I upgrade computers, I copy the entire contents of my previous hard drive. Not really a reliable backup, but I have files I have kept continously since 1990. (From dos 3.3 to dos 5 to OS/2 to win95, 98, 2000, xp and now 7).

But I have a lot of stuff backed up on another computer and also to an external 1 TB USB Hd.

I don't trust remote storage of My Stuff, but that's just me. It works fine for others.

Sent from my Enigma Device

I have three portable hard drives that I copy all photos to, everything else is disposable. I need to do a major clean up of the hard drives by copying everything to my new laptop with a 1 terabyte hard drive and sort them and get rid of duplicates. Then wipe the portables and copy the new sorted ones to the portables.

I have three portable hard drives that I copy all photos to, everything else is disposable. I need to do a major clean up of the hard drives by copying everything to my new laptop with a 1 terabyte hard drive and sort them and get rid of duplicates. Then wipe the portables and copy the new sorted ones to the portables.

Is anyone aware of a good application that can find, sort by date or some other metadata and remove duplicates for picture files? I have soooo many digital pictures from all the way back to 1996 that I REALLY need to catalog.

Sorry to hijack but this is kinda related.

I had a spare herd drive lying around and bought an adapter to plug it into USB. Despite the cloud being the future with data storage I dint back anything up there except music and some photos. Not sure I want tax or medical info out there where some hacker can find it.

I had a spare herd drive lying around and bought an adapter to plug it into USB. Despite the cloud being the future with data storage I dint back anything up there except music and some photos. Not sure I want tax or medical info out there where some hacker can find it.

Maybe forge some Hillary Clinton psychiatric records, upload them to Carbonite and see if Julian Assange finds them...

yeah I do not trust the cloud either, I had an experience with it being tapped into by the EX, luckily it was music and contacts only and real info was not on it.

(I presume you're referring to cattle?)

Cheers, BostonTim

waynepilgrim.png

Back