What would you do with $100 million from Powerball?

Ya know, it's almost depressing looking at that spreadsheet. Even if you take out about 14 mil just for immediate spending and put the rest in interest bearing account, you'd be looking at about 134k per month to live on. I'm thinking I could scrape by with that.

Ya know, it's almost depressing looking at that spreadsheet. Even if you take out about 14 mil just for immediate spending and put the rest in interest bearing account, you'd be looking at about 134k per month to live on. I'm thinking I could scrape by with that.

I can do you one better. Last Thanksgiving I'm talking with my brother about what specialty he might go into after he's done with med school. He says he wouldn't mind going into family practice, and he could probably find a job wherever he wanted because there's a shortage of them since they don't make very much money.

So I says, "What does a family practice doctor make?"

And he says, "They only make about $120,000 a year."

Yeah, how could you live on that? :blink:

I can do you one better. Last Thanksgiving I'm talking with my brother about what specialty he might go into after he's done with med school. He says he wouldn't mind going into family practice, and he could probably find a job wherever he wanted because there's a shortage of them since they don't make very much money.

So I says, "What does a family practice doctor make?"

And he says, "They only make about $120,000 a year."

Yeah, how could you live on that? :blink:

Working 60-80+ hours a week. Sometimes on call.

Starting upwards of $250,000-$400,000 in debt for UG, Med, Residency

Starting at age 30-33.

It's not nearly as glamourous as it may sound, unless you specialize in something dangerous or something like cosmetic surgery. Then insurance, risks of mal-practice, etc.

Kind of like police in many (dis-similar) ways.

EDIT: Sorry TrueB...I'm just saw the "I was talking to my brother (the DOCTOR)" :banghead:

OK I missed this one today..damn work.

OK the first call would be to my childhood friend who is a lawyer and ask him to set me up with one of his frineds who could be trusted.

Invest 50 Million..I am not gonna end up with nothing.

Buy a small island somewhere warmer where my folks and future in-laws can live and I can visit when I am sick of winters in Maine.

Buy a nice house on the Maine coast and a medium sized boat (OK yatch) to travel up and down the coast in.

Set up an account for my kids and their kid and their kids kids.

Call my new freind Robert (or jonathan) Kraft about my new seats/private luxury box for me and all of my freinds-including those of you who can not get/afford tix and then purchase the luxury RV for tailgateing all around the country.

Build an indoor track facility for my high school track team...

Wake up and realize it was a great dream...

No winner. Next jackpot estimated at $275 Million. I guess I'll have to make the three mile drive and go to RI to buy some tickets.

No winner. Next jackpot estimated at $275 Million. I guess I'll have to make the three mile drive and go to RI to buy some tickets.

That's a lot of shoes and bags. I'm convinced I going to win the lottery and immediately die of a heart attack.

Buy the knicks, and keep things exactly the way they are, extend isiah to a life long contract with contingencies, ie win more than 30 games and your fired. Keep increasing their ticket prices, hire an all male dance team.

And never attend a single game. :fire:

But Seriously
I would try to tell absolutely NOBODY
My family has done pretty well for themselves so they don't desperately need money right away.
I'd go on a holiday to bos.
Then after a while send them tickets to come and join me, then i would tell them.
Tie up any loose end back home and move to the USA.
Go for a cruise on the RMS Queen Mary 2 for a year or so, but fly in for every pats game, cruises can get boring after a while.
I'd invest naturally.

I would quit my job,buy a new car and set off on the longest pub crawl hitting all the brew pubs in the nation. Then the very next summer I would visit every pro baseball park from the majors down to single A ball.

Just after i finished high school i went on a trip to Europe for two and a half months and got wasted EVERY NIGHT, spent thousands of dollars, I lost my backpack, so i used to buy a new shirt pretty much every day to go with my jeans. By the time i got home i was seriously run down. My face had gotten chubby from retain fluid i think. I had stomach ulcers from all the tequila and absinithe. I don't remember a whole lot, but i wouldn't recommend it.

Working 60-80+ hours a week. Sometimes on call.

Starting upwards of $250,000-$400,000 in debt for UG, Med, Residency

Starting at age 30-33.

It's not nearly as glamourous as it may sound, unless you specialize in something dangerous or something like cosmetic surgery. Then insurance, risks of mal-practice, etc.

Kind of like police in many (dis-similar) ways.

EDIT: Sorry TrueB...I'm just saw the "I was talking to my brother (the DOCTOR)" :banghead:

Yeah well when you make $20K a year like I do $120K doesn't sound like such an insult. Sorry if I offended you, Ty Law.

TB, in my opinion yes the money is nice but subtract all the expenses (insurance, school loans and the such) and the lost time from family and is the money really worth it.

I think the greatest times my kids have with me is sitting at a camp ground with both my wife and I and spending time doing little things like collecting bugs, teaching them to swim or just reading a book to them so as long as their needs are met we are more than happy.

I do know as a family practicioner the hours are better and they are difficult to find so maybe in your brothers case he will have the free time and the cost will not be so great it deflates his salary.

TB, in my opinion yes the money is nice but subtract all the expenses (insurance, school loans and the such) and the lost time from family and is the money really worth it.

I think the greatest times my kids have with me is sitting at a camp ground with both my wife and I and spending time doing little things like collecting bugs, teaching them to swim or just reading a book to them so as long as their needs are met we are more than happy.

I do know as a family practicioner the hours are better and they are difficult to find so maybe in your brothers case he will have the free time and the cost will not be so great it deflates his salary.

How do I give rep points because that? AWESOME! :heart:

1) Set up trust funds for my children so they never have to worry about living from paycheck to paycheck

2) Become debt free

3) Purchase a home and a brand new vehicle

4) Work for one year, then live off the interest of whats being saved

5) Establish a scholarship fund at my old high school in memory of my dad, for kids that want to go to college and become teachers.

6) Give something to each of my siblings, my mother, and my church

7) After retirement, work on my Hold 'Em game and play in the World Series of Poker.

8) Go to the Football and Baseball HOF during induction weekends.

9) Take a summer with the kids and travel the country.

Back