What's up with Stallworth?

6EFINRINGS

Reaction score
Probably a dumb question, but I read the Herald today, and not one mention of Dante Stallworth... I didn't hear anything about him during the game either.. Did I miss something?.. Injured? Family Matters?/ What gives?

he played, had one catch, just wasn;t needed i guess

There's always going to be someone missing. Everyone in this offense can't have a big game....there are just too many players.

Benign Despot on 12-10-2007 at 07:02 PM said:
He's suffering from being on the same field as Welker and Moss. I'd love to see a coaches tape to see how often Stallworth gets open when a pass is completed to one of the other guys

I also think he is a similar style of player in regards to moss, minus the height. So it may take him time to get comfortable running the intermediate routes you guys have him delegated to.

I think they pick their spots with him. You know there is a package just for him if the defense plays a certain way.

I'm really not concerned as they've done this every year since BB got here. There have been games this year where Moss wasn't all that involved either.

On to the Jets.

RichM99 on 12-10-2007 at 07:07 PM said:
I think they pick their spots with him. You know there is a package just for him if the defense plays a certain way.

Bingo! Stallworth did his job by drawing coverage. Kevin Faulk was barely heard from yesterday as well. I wasn't specifically looking for him, but my guess is they used #33 mainly in blocking after Brady was pressured so often early in the game. Can someone with Tivo or DVR check this out for me, please?

BB said on the big show that Stallworth made the key block that allowed Moss to throw the pass back to brady. He also had a catch and run. He is more of a vertical receiver, and with the pressure that Pittsburgh was bringing the underneath routes were the only ones available. The big vertical plays involved either Moss as a receiver or Stallworth as the decoy blocker.

He is also a great screen guy, with his speed and illusiveness, but we've also got Faulk and Welker who are also great in those situations.

If Brady has time he'll hit him on Post patterns and deep in cuts. But, Brady didn't have much time on Sunday.

Overall, what everyone else has said. It was a bit of what the Steelers gave us, and the amount of talent around him that led to his low production this game.

I like him, and believe he'll get better and better the longer he is here.

quote"There's always going to be someone missing. Everyone in this offense can't have a big game....there are just too many players"

I agree. Moss didn't have a big game the week before. There's only 1 ball for Brady to throw.

Gafney is coming on strong and I think we'll be using him instead of Stallworth next year.

grogsox* on 12-10-2007 at 08:13 PM said:
Gafney is coming on strong and I think we'll be using him instead of Stallworth next year.

Gaff's a free agent after the season.

Stallworth is not, although it has been discussed somewhere here that he may be a cap casualty, I think.

I hope they keep Stallworth. I think he's actually the most fun to watch. Once the ball's in his hands, he turns into a running back - he and Maroney actually look very similar carrying the ball. There are few receivers in the league that play quite like him, seems like they could get really creative with him if they tried.

Patriots4ever* on 12-10-2007 at 08:16 PM said:
Gaff's a free agent after the season.

Stallworth is not, although it has been discussed somewhere here that he may be a cap casualty, I think.

we can release for nothing if we want after the season, a clause on his contract

chef on 12-10-2007 at 08:37 PM said:
we can release for nothing if we want after the season, a clause on his contract

Ah, thanks chef. I couldn't remember exactly what Stallworth's deal was, and didn't care to look it up. Thanks buddy. :)

(P - shoulder)† on 12-10-2007 at 08:36 PM said:
I hope they keep Stallworth. I think he's actually the most fun to watch. Once the ball's in his hands, he turns into a running back - he and Maroney actually look very similar carrying the ball. There are few receivers in the league that play quite like him, seems like they could get really creative with him if they tried.

I like Stallworth as well, but I think I read on here somewhere that it would be nearly impossible to keep both Stallworth AND Moss next season. Moss would obviously be the priority IMO..

This offense and defense are all about creating the matchups they want. When they get a package that is killing the other team they go with it heavily.

I think it was against Indy Adalius Thomas was hardly on the field all night because they were using Rodney in a LB slot to cover the tight end. Last night the packages that were hammering Pittsburgh weren't the ones with Stallworth in them very often.

We need to keep Gaffney, he really understands the system and makes great plays.

I think it's cool that this has kind of transformed into a Stallworth Fan Club thread. Which suits me just fine, as I'm a member of same.

When the season started we were talking about him (too lazy to find thread) and I said I really admired his continuous presence around the ball: wherever the play ends up, he always seems to be there. Seems like a great teammate, too, apart from his actual football skills - which are considerable. The YAC thing is always mentioned, and should be.

All this contract stuff gives me a headache. I just want ALL the good receivers to play. And that would be ALL of them! As long as we're only running pass plays any more, why the heck not o:)

3EFINRINGS on 12-10-2007 at 07:51 PM said:
I like Stallworth as well, but I think I read on here somewhere that it would be nearly impossible to keep both Stallworth AND Moss next season. Moss would obviously be the priority IMO..

Moss is going to want to break the bank. With the season he is having he deserves to be the highest paid WR in the NFL.

This may be a situation where the Pats will have to make a decision ... go against everything they have been about during their Super Bowl runs (paying players top money - Brady is the exception) by signing Moss to a 5-6 year deal and making him one of the highest paid players in the NFL (which could mortgage their future when it comes to free agents)

... or let another team dump a truck load of money and stick to the plan of building through the draft and going after elite players on crap teams that are hungry for a ring (i.e. Chad Johnson). Basically spreading the money around instead of giving it all to one player.

FromDallas on 12-10-2007 at 10:16 PM said:
Moss is going to want to break the bank. .

Please DO NOT start up with the bank thing. We just finished a 900 page thread about it, everybody had their say. Mum up.

Back