Whiskey/Bourbon/Scotch

TomWaits & you

Reaction score
Whiskey/Bourbon

The Canadiens call it whisky. Regardless, it's the tough guy booze. It's the Wild West, it's a gangter favorite. It's the sipping beverage of southern gentlemen.

Some folks get uptight over the distinction. Most connoisseurs are resolutely defensive.

Wild Turkey is either ether and bad form, or truly indicative. Jack Daniel's is pure Americana or cliche'. Jim Beam is the sterling stripes or tastes like puke (personal opinion).

Canadien whisky? American bourbon? Scotch? (which trumps all, IMO).

Opinions?

I'm learning to appreciate Scotch. Not much of a hard liqour drinker. It's all about the beer for me.

edit: Updated thread title for you and deleted the other one.

bideau* on 01-27-2008 at 08:38 AM said:
I'm learning to appreciate Scotch. Not much of a hard liqour drinker. It's all about the beer for me.

Hey, bid: I'm trying to delete to double. If you have inside info: please do.

I like my scotch. Single malts and blends...both very good.

Favorite blend: Johnny Walker Black (though I'll take Gold or Blue if you're offering)

Favorite affordable single malt: Balvenie Doublewood

Used to be a JD drinker, straight up, ginger on the side. After a few years of knowing when to switch to beer, I ditched the ginger and chased it with beer. Of course, I also started chasing people in parking lots in my car, trying to run them over if they looked at me sideways. I also found that following the white lines in the road wasn't working too well for me anymore.

As much fun as those days were, I decidedly stopped drinking JD. In fact, I stopped drinking completely. This 5'1" female became a 6'5" man with a chip on his shoulder and a fight to pick when she was drinking. Haven't had a JD in fifteen years.

Thanks, bid. I tried to delete, but either I couldn't or I wasn't savvy.

AS far as scotch goes:

To me, it's similar to blue cheese. It seems like a taste that you force yourself to acquire, in the name of being stylishly contemporary.

In my opinion, it's a process. You try it via peer pressure, you pretend to like it similarly, you gain acceptance of it via reluctance, you decide what you like vs. what you don't.

Except, for me, I liked scotch initially. I'm a bit of a booze hound, but I like the peety, earthly taste of it.

Bourbon is the nectar of the gods, and is truly the finest spirit available. My favorite is Blanton's Single Barrel Bourbon:

145_b.jpg

All bottles are filled with the finest distilled bourbon, and the barrels are never mixed. I've been to the distillery: the bottles are actually hand-filled and hand-labeled with the barrel number. Delicious.

FWIW
It can only be called Bourbon if it is made in Kentucky.
Legal requirements
On May 4, 1964, the U.S. Congress recognized Bourbon Whiskey as a “distinctive product of the United States," creating the Federal Standards of Identity for Bourbon. Legislation now stipulates that Bourbon must meet these requirements:

Bourbon must be made in the United States.
Bourbon must be made of a grain mixture that is at least 51% corn[1]
Bourbon must be distilled to no more than 160 (U.S.) proof.
Bourbon must be 100% natural (nothing other than water added to the mixture)
Bourbon must be aged in new, American, charred oak barrels.[1]
Bourbon which meets the above requirements and has been aged for a minimum of two years, may be called Straight Bourbon[2].
Bourbon aged for a period less than four years must be labeled with the duration of its aging.

Jack Daniels is an inferior product whose popularity is a direct reuslt of marketing more than its quality.

The Canadians call your stuff Whisky. We call ours Rye and it rocks. I think it is labelled as Canadian Whisky down there for some reason not rye. For that matter... it is back bacon dudes... not Canadian bacon! When I cook up bacon at home it's the regular smoke and salted strip bacon... I've never cooked up back bacon.

Crown Royal is the best rye out there. Canadian Club is drinkable.

I do also enjoy single malts Scotch as well as the occassional JD for different reasons. Good single malt Scotch is going up the scale and JD is definately way down the scale.

Crown is great on the rocks or mixed with Ginger Ale (50/50 mix with Canada Dry ginger ale is my favourite) or Coke. Hell I've even tried is mixed with 7up on my last vacation and that wasn't half bad.

WilforkRules75 on 01-27-2008 at 08:53 AM said:
I'm not really a drinker but my dad highly enjoyed Johnny Walker.

There are a few JW scotches. Don't make the mistake of buying Johny Walker Red... it's only slightly more enjoyable then paint thinner.

George Thorogood and the Destroyers.

One Bourbon, one scotch, one beer.

I drink alone.

If You don't start drinkin' (I'm Gonna Leave).

You talk too much.

Good party tunes!!!!

I used to like bourbon but a few too many JD nights along the way have killed that for me.

Thankfully, the scotch nights did not do the same.

DarrylStingley on 01-27-2008 at 10:29 AM said:
I used to like bourbon but a few too many JD nights along the way have killed that for me.

Thankfully, the scotch nights did not do the same.

JD is NOT Bourbon, not even close.
Well I guess close as Budweiser is a lager and Sam Adams Lager are both lagers.

babalu87* on 01-27-2008 at 10:34 AM said:
JD is NOT Bourbon, not even close.
Well I guess close as Budweiser is a lager and Sam Adams Lager are both lagers.
Jack Daniels taste closer to bourbon to me than it does to Scotch.

Then again, I don't pretend to be an expert in this stuff. I know I like Scoth -- blends and single malts, and I know that everything else other than beer and vodka I don't like that much. How you classify JD versus bourbon is way beyond my data base.

Ryes are the only type of whisky I can stomach. I don't care for bourbon or scotch at all.

Back