why every player wants to be a patriot

patsfan954

Reaction score
Good article about why every player in the NFL wants to play here.

playersvoice dot com. if you enjoy please post the link cause i cant.

The Rich Get Richer

belichick.bmp

Bill Belichick

by MARK GREY

Every sports fan is familiar with the old saying “buying into the system.” This saying has become one of the many over- used clichés that we all expect to hear from our star players, right up there with “give 110 percent” and “what’s best for the team.” While every team would love to have all of its players buy into the system, one team has taken the notion to a whole different level. In New England, Coach Bill Belichick doesn’t just have his players buying into the system, he has the rest of the NFL buying into it as well. After already winning more than any other team this decade, the best team in the NFL is getting even better.

While most coaches and General Managers would have patted themselves on the back for putting together an 11 win season after losing 11 players, including the franchise quarterback, the Patriots aren’t most teams. This offseason, Belichick made it a point to make sure his team improved on both sides of the ball. After the Pats had trouble in their secondary last season, they quickly added veteran cornerbacks Leigh Bodden and Shawn Springs. When Fred Taylor, the NFL’s 16th leading rusher of all time, became a free agent, he quickly found his way to New England to add some extra depth to the backfield. When Donte’ Stallworth left the Pats after their magical 16-0 season, he left a void at the wide receiver spot opposite Randy Moss and the Pats made sure to fill that void by bringing in Joey Galloway, one of the best deep threat wide outs in the game. When you take a team that won 11 games the previous year, add arguably the best quarterback in the league, some more offensive weapons, and depth on defense, is it any wonder the Pats are the early favorite to win it all next year?

So how is it that the Patriots are able to assemble such a collection of talent and still remain under the cap? Simple. Players all across the NFL want to be Patriots. Any time a big name free agent releases his list of teams for whom he would like to play, the Pats always seem to make the list. When players request to be traded, the Patriots always seem to be one of the teams they are willing to be traded to. In a day and age where the top talent always goes to the top bidder, the Pats have found a way to make players accept less money to play. When I spoke with one agent he told me, “it’s something about New England. Everyone wants to go there. When I tell my clients the Patriots called, it’s like -- they get all excited.” Another former player told me, “you just really get the feeling it’s all about winning there.” In a world of professional sports, Belichick and the Patriots have created a recruiting mystic that is normally seen only on the collegiate level. When the pros hear that Belichick wants you, it’s almost like when high school kids hear that “Coach K called.” See, even kids who grew up hating Duke want to hear what coach K has to say.

The secret that sets the Patriots apart is that they have a proven system that works and comes with guarantees. The two biggest elements that every free agent worries about are winning and money...and not always in that order. One thing about New England is that players know that if they perform well in their jobs, they will get both. New England isn’t known for breaking the bank to sign players, but if you perform in New England, someone will break the bank to get you. Matt Cassel rode the bench in New England for years, but when he got his chance, he was ready. Next season, he’ll cash in to the tune of 14 million. Stallworth spent one year as a Patriot and then signed with the Cleveland Browns for 5 million a year. The fact that the Patriots offer players the stage to showcase what they can do when used in the right way is the reason that players like Lee Bodden are willing to sign one year deals below market value. Throw in a chance to win a Super Bowl and going to the Pats is a no brainier for young free agents.

The one group of free agents who seem to find the Patriots most attractive is the veterans who simply want to win. These are the guys who have already collected their individual achievements and the only thing left to add is a Super Bowl ring. When you get players like Junior Seau, Fred Taylor, and Joey Galloway, guys who bring years of experience, it only makes the younger players that much better. Throw in players like Randy Moss and LaMont Jordan, players who know what it’s like to play for organizations like the Raiders and have no desire to go back to that life, and the question is: who doesn’t want to play for the Patriots? While Belichick gets a lot of slack for his no nonsense approach, it’s that consistence that his players respect and love. Jordan told me, “with Belichick, you know that anything less than your best is unacceptable.” He also told me that another thing about Belichick is that you’ll always know where you stand. For so many of these players who have been around the block and know the politics of the game, it is refreshing to know that what matters most is that you can do your job on the field. Belichick has taken players known as cancers, like Moss and former running back Corey Dillon, and gotten nothing but excellence from them. For a superstar on the back end of his career looking to add a ring to his resume, very few places look as attractive as New England.

Now, as if the Patriots dynasty wasn’t looking strong enough already after a rare down year (if you can call 11 wins a down year), it looks like they are reloading. The Pats are expecting their leader Tom Brady to be back at full strength with two of the fastest, deepest targets in the game, and arguably the game's quickest target underneath. Not only will the Pats also return last year's defensive rookie of the year in Jerod Mayo, they also hold four picks in the first two rounds of next month's draft. As if all of that wasn’t enough for teams across the NFL to worry about, it got worse last week when a former defensive player of the year said he wanted out of Carolina. That’s right, Julius Peppers said he was looking for a new team to call home...and guess which team was at the top of his list. Any way you look at it, if you were a free agent, could you really go wrong with New England? After all, what’s the worst that can happen … you'll win?

http://www.playersvoice.com/nfl/the-rich-get-richer.html#JOSC_TOP

I'm thinking back to the earlier days of NFL free-agency, starting in the mid-90's, right? Did good teams at that time, the Cowboys or others, have really good players come to them through free-agency? Because the Pats certainly didn't!

ROFL Really? When? 2005? ROFL

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/aJIZCXIs91A&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/aJIZCXIs91A&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

ROFL Really? When? 2005? ROFL

Well, you know, the lowly Patriots can use all the help they can get. Even if it means stooping so low as to sign a 37-year-old receiver. I guess you don't have to worry about the Patriots anymore, Must be a big relief....

Hey, did that guy Harrison go out-of-bounds in that runback? Nah,....that was legit. No, not Rodney Harrison in '04 running a lousy Roetlhisburger pass back for an 85-yd touchdown. I mean in that 'legit' sb win last Feb. I contend he did go out of bounds. But 'scoreboard', right?

I kid because I respect

I'm thinking back to the earlier days of NFL free-agency, starting in the mid-90's, right? Did good teams at that time, the Cowboys or others, have really good players come to them through free-agency? Because the Pats certainly didn't!

I remember guys like Charles Haley and (I think) Chris Doleman moving to the 49ers when they were good. Also, didn't Tim Mc Donald sign with them?

Re: Dallas. I think Deion Sanders might have started life with Atlanta. Can't think of anyone else though.

Yup, 37 is the Pat's magic number (tongue in cheek)...

John Lynch (gulp)

Junior Seau!

Joey Gallaway....(who looked pretty good in that youtube video, albeit 2 years ago)

Rodney Harrison's number is 37....

Anyway, the Steelers are very good. There must be players who want to play on the steelers too....maybe the steelers brass just doesn't want to sign up older players....after all. it does go against the grain...can't blame them too much

I think that some really really good older players simply like the fact the Pats will put them in a good position to succeed. Man, Junior Seau, who seems older than football dirt, succeeds. And I'm guessing Jason Taylor sees a chance to succeed, and finish his career the right way. Seau almost did in 2007 (almost being, I guess, the operative word).

Away from the pissing match, I thought that was a nice article. That accomplished players want to play for BB because they respect him, think the pats are a great organization and believe that coming to NE gives them a reasonable chance at a SB ring is nothing but positive for the Pats.

That any football player feels that way is STILL something of a shock to the system for those of us who followed the Pats when they were the joke of the NFL.

That any football player feels that way is STILL something of a shock to the system for those of us who followed the Pats when they were the joke of the NFL.

And I'm glad it's such a shock. It keeps things real. Hell, I remember when the Pats picked up a guy in the late '80's, who was a 'has been', Gary Jeter, was signed onto the Pats. It was a big deal to me! Actually, I just looked it up, and he still had something left (7 sacks in 1989).

Another guy they picked up once, probably through a trade, was Harold Jackson, who was still a stud receiver. How did they pull that one off? I just read that he was picked as an all-conference (nfc) player the year before they got him.

But pre-Belichick, I can't think of any other veterans who came to the Pats (except for some of Parcell's 'b' players; Dave Meggett still was pretty goood though)

Anyway, that was a different era, so to speak. There was little or no free-agency to speak of. Now there is definitely free-agency; plus some pretty decent players get cut, for salary cap reasons....usually veterans on the back 9, but still pretty decent anyway. And Belichick and the Patriot's winning ways have made players want to be on the Pats. Our humble, once (for a very long time) downtrodden Pats.

(Plus, other teams want the Patriot's players and coaches now! That is fairly brand new too. Like when the Pats signed up a Packer assistant coach to be the new Pats head coach (Bengston) back in the early 70's or late 60's. And I don't think that worked out too well for the Pats at the time...but the Pats weren't the most talented team, either)

Bring on the retro uniforms!

Back