Why Peyton Winning Doesn't Really Bother Me

mooseontheloose

See, moose love the Pats too!
Reaction score
A few years ago I absolutely hated the idea of Peyton ever winning another SB.

He's now 2-2 in Super Bowls, 3-1 vs Brady in AFCCCGs and has a positive post-season record. This win tonight helped his legacy for sure and helped shake off some of the 'choker' label he's been stuck with. Yup, tonight he helped put distance between himself and someone like Dan Marino. But I honestly don't care much, because he's very clearly still behind Tom and Montana. And this fact doesn't seem to be a secret or 'Pats mentality' anymore.

As recently as 2014 the football world still had a massive hard-on for Peyton, to the point where a great number of fans and media personalities still believed Manning was the GOAT. They ignored logic and numbers to keep that dream alive.

Until last season. Brady winning last season really ended the argument for good as even clowns like Faulk began to come around. Some of my NE-hating friends even now admit that despite disliking Brady, you can't argue he's not the GOAT. The media seems to have adopted a similar tone, despite still loving Manning. For me, I've known Brady was GOAT 1a/1b with Montana for a while so it annoyed me how far some went to force Manning into that conversation. But after Brady's win last year and Manning's decline, it's very clear to most who the GOAT is.

So kudos to Manning for beating two #1 seeds. He didn't look very good but he didn't make many mistakes and did enough to not choke away games his D had on lockdown. He did his job. He's one of the best to ever play and I'm fine with him winning another SB because it simply doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things (aside from the annoying media orgasms to come).

I hate that twice Manning was carried by his D to SB wins, both times after beating the Pats and both times against terribly performing NFC opponents (missed opportunities for the Pats). But I'm not annoyed like I thought I would be. It isn't a few years ago anymore. Manning is an all-time great and should have won a few more than he has, and Brady still has a chance to get #5 before he's done.

I can live with that :coffee:

Hold your horses.......Twitter is already coming out with Manning clearly better than Brady because he has the stats and now 2 SB wins with 2 different teams.

A few years ago I absolutely hated the idea of Peyton ever winning another SB.

He's now 2-2 in Super Bowls, 3-1 vs Brady in AFCCCGs and has a positive post-season record. This win tonight helped his legacy for sure and helped shake off some of the 'choker' label he's been stuck with. Yup, tonight he helped put distance between himself and someone like Dan Marino. But I honestly don't care much, because he's very clearly still behind Tom and Montana. And this fact doesn't seem to be a secret or 'Pats mentality' anymore.

As recently as 2014 the football world still had a massive hard-on for Peyton, to the point where a great number of fans and media personalities still believed Manning was the GOAT. They ignored logic and numbers to keep that dream alive.

Until last season. Brady winning last season really ended the argument for good as even clowns like Faulk began to come around. Some of my NE-hating friends even now admit that despite disliking Brady, you can't argue he's not the GOAT. The media seems to have adopted a similar tone, despite still loving Manning. For me, I've known Brady was GOAT 1a/1b with Montana for a while so it annoyed me how far some went to force Manning into that conversation. But after Brady's win last year and Manning's decline, it's very clear to most who the GOAT is.

So kudos to Manning for beating two #1 seeds. He didn't look very good but he didn't make many mistakes and did enough to not choke away games his D had on lockdown. He did his job. He's one of the best to ever play and I'm fine with him winning another SB because it simply doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things (aside from the annoying media orgasms to come).

I hate that twice Manning was carried by his D to SB wins, both times after beating the Pats and both times against terribly performing NFC opponents (missed opportunities for the Pats). But I'm not annoyed like I thought I would be. It isn't a few years ago anymore. Manning is an all-time great and should have won a few more than he has, and Brady still has a chance to get #5 before he's done.

I can live with that :coffee:

All over twitter they are saying Manning is better than Brady now...he just secured goat status...

All over twitter they are saying Manning is better than Brady now...he just secured goat status...

The game just ended.

I'm not saying that won't also be out there too, but any level-headed person who knows football should understand that Peyton lost his chance at GOAT a while ago. IMO, tonight cemented his hold on #3. Anyone who watched Brady beat Seattle last year and thinks Peyton beating Carolina this year is even in the same realm of quality is full of derp.

What bothers me most is the 3-1 championship game record head up against TB, and outplaying him in every win. If Manning retires, that record is there forever.

What bothers me most is the 3-1 championship game record head up against TB, and outplaying him in every win. If Manning retires, that record is there forever.

Agreed. I was more annoyed about Peyton winning that game than the SB.

You guys care way to much about what the Internet says..... who cares... Manning won a 2nd ring that nobody saw coming.... good for him.... Brady had been to the finals 6 times and won 4 Super Bowls... nobody can compete with that.

For all I know people right now are comparing Luck to Wilson.... I could care less.... other then this board and the Colts board I don't even bother with the other cap.

I guarantee you guys by the end of Bradys career he will have 5 Super Bowl wins under his belt.

This was a good way for Peyton to go out that's all. Even if he lost the same fans would make the same argument that he is the best.... don't let it get to you. Brady and the Pats organization is amazing and will be till Brady retires end of story.

Have a good night friends

This was a good way for Peyton to go out that's all. Even if he lost the same fans would make the same argument that he is the best....

This was exactly the point I was making with my post.

No reason to get too upset. Good for Peyton to go out on a high note. Like him or not, he's one of the best and he played his part to get that win.

But he's still not even close to the GOAT.

This win really should be about Elway making some great personnel decisions and delivering championship #3 to the Mile High city....

No reason to get too upset. Good for Peyton to go out on a high note. Like him or not, he's one of the best and he played his part to get that win.

Who said that manninhgh is the greatest? Nobody credible...

Amen man! I'll second that

Manning's legacy is a complicated one going back to college. He's a Super Bowl winning QB and it's likely his own team doesn't want him back next year due to his diminished skills. It's such a weird way and for Manning almost a perfect way to go out. Complicated in both regards, the good and the bad....

Honestly I felt Peyton felt embarrassed that he was even in this game. I definitely think he retires. I'm sure he's happy he got a second ring, but I I think he realizes the Denver defense this the reason why he got that ring and not him. He's done

Back