Wildcard Weekend - 1/10 1:05 p.m. ET - Seattle at Minnesota (NBC)

So either the NFL is admitting that New England Patriots quarterback Tom Brady didn't do anything wrong, or they're just absolutely clueless about ball pressure.
According to ESPN's Sal Paolantonio, the NFL is concerned about the footballs inflation levels due to the subzero temperatures, and will use the backup footballs for the second half of the game.

Per Sal Paolantonio: Officials in MIN worried about footballs going under 12 PSI; will use backup footballs in 2nd half that've been inside
— Aaron Levine (@AaronQ13Fox) January 10, 2016
The league is ridiculous and there are two possible interpretations.
The first is that the league's data over the course of the season has revealed that temperature-related deflation is completely natural and a part of the game. After an offseason of leaks, the fact that the NFL has kept the measurements under wraps implies that the data doesn't help the league. This understanding would completely clear the Patriots from any wrong-doing, so it's likely confirmation of this will never reach the surface.
The other is that the league still doesn't understand how temperature affects the ball pressure and they're just being dumb. The footballs in the 2nd half are going to be affected in pretty much the exact same way as the footballs in the first half. The first half footballs will naturally regain some of their pressure if the officials take them into the locker room to warm up at half time. These are literally the foundational arguments set forth by Exponent and Ted Wells in the science section of the Wells-Pash Report, and the science could still be over the collective head of the NFL offices.

Either way, ball deflation is on the mind of the league and they know that it's a real thing.

http://www.patspulpit.com/2016/1/10...orried-about-vikings-seahawks-psi-will-rotate

Watching Zim in the presser. Right there is why he'll be successful, he's a tough, no nonsense coach. Not touchy feely trying to best pals with the players BS. I'm sorry for him, he's a good guy.

Petersen needs to have a long look at himself, he folded today and let his team down with that reckless fumble.

He does seem like an OK guy, but, to me, he and his coaching staff could have done a lot more with play-action than they did.

Seattle was totally selling out to stop AP. The Vikings ran a vanilla running offense all day long and couldn't break anything long. The fumble was key, but if the kicker didn't yip then nobody is talking about the running back.

Gotta wonder if they were working within what Bridgewater felt comfortable with. It's not like Norv hasn't been around the block a few times.
I feel for Zim, I think he's great.

The Seahawks were also complaining about their headsets not working

http://espn.go.com/blog/seattle-seahawks/post/_/id/17390/seahawks-have-headset-issues-in-minnesota

I don't care if it's an ESPN article, people would get fired up if it were the Patriots. The NFL and other fans are hypocritical jerks. And IIRC, Seattle has been to the last 2, TWO Super Bowls and Minnesota has been caught F'ing with footballs in the past

Headset issues are only existent at Gillette though :coffee:

Back