Wilfork's hit on Losman

HH, I agree with all but the looking the other way part, I feel that was part of the "WHO ME?" act as he tried to nudge Losman on his way to the ground. He intended to hit him, he did not intend to hurt him in my opinion and just caught him as he planted and shifted his weight

I think the hit happened in a way that looks bad, and does in some way look to be "dirty."

Of course, there is not nearly enough evidence (at least IMO) to prove that it really is dirty.

And realistically only vince knows his true intentions.

Wilfork's own words from an interview on WEEI

Wilfork expects fine for roughing
By Rich Thompson / Patriots Notebook
Tuesday, September 25, 2007

FOXBORO - Patriots nose tackle Vince Wilfork said he didn’t intend to hurt Buffalo quarterback J.P. Losman in Sunday’s 38-7 pasting of the Bills at Gillette Stadium on Sunday.

Wilfork also believes the NFL commissioner’s office won’t see it the same way.

“I’m playing football. It is what it is,” Wilfork said on WEEI’s Dale and Holley program yesterday. “I did hit him low, so I’m sure the NFL will have something coming, a FedEx in my locker this week. I’m moving forward and so is the team.”

If the NFL does act, it likely will wait until Friday to issue a fine. The injury occurred on the first play of the game after Losman tossed a 4-yard swing pass to tailback Marshawn Lynch. Wilfork, a 6-foot-2, 325-pounder, collided with Losman’s knee after a hard rush up the middle.

The NFL protects the heads and knees of quarterbacks, and Wilfork sees that as the source of his trouble.

“Whatever it is, I’m pretty sure the NFL is going to protect their quarterbacks,” he said. “I’ll deal with it. Hopefully they’ll see something to overturn it. I’m pretty sure that’s not going to happen because it is a quarterback I hit. I’m not losing any sleep over it.”

Losman told reporters after the game he thought the hit was late.

Wilfork disagreed.

“I’ve been playing this game for a long time, from Pop Warner to now, and I’ve never been classified as a dirty player,” Wilfork said. “The only time I was classified as a dirty player was my rookie year playing against this same team. One of their offensive linemen, me and him bumped heads, and he got a concussion.’

Who knew Belichick was a ventriloquist too? I guarantee he was standing behind Wilfork during that whole interview. I don't really care to know where his hand was though.

I'm wrong huh? You can believe what you'd like to believe. I saw that he was blocked with a lineman on his legs. I also saw him throw his elbow out there to "break his fall". Break his fall by using Losman. Cheap shot.

Believe me, I'm not bothered in the least by it. Good for Vince, long as he is willing to pay the fine, more power to him. I don't think his intent was to injure. I don't think it was a dirty hit. I just think a lineman's instinct is to get a body part, any body part, on the QB every chance you get. In this case it was a bit late and a bit low, therefore cheap. But that's just my opinion.....whether it's wrong in your opinion or not.

I think it's fair to say that Wilfork did mean to hit Losman, but didn't mean to injure him.

It was the first play of the game, I'm sure Wilfork was just trying to let Losman know he was there.

He'll get fined, he'll pay for the hit, and then that'll be that.

Unfortunate that Losman got injured, but I don't think that was Vince's intent at all, and his interview echoes that.

That said, this would be a scary sight:

EDIT -

Also, I do find it strange that Losman didn't move backwards. He said in his interview that he was 'watching the catch' and then got hit. Well, why not watch the pass rush and shuffle backwards out of harms way?

I can't help thinking that if Losman had any sense of the rush at all that the hit would have been easily avoided. I've seen Brady get out of the way of many hits that would have injured him if he wasn't paying attention.

And it was late enough that he was watching the catch as he got hit, so he had plenty of time to move backwards out of the way if he'd only been paying attention.

Brownfan80 on 09-25-2007 at 10:39 AM said:
I think it's fair to say that Wilfork did mean to hit Losman, but didn't mean to injure him.

It was the first play of the game, I'm sure Wilfork was just trying to let Losman know he was there.

He'll get fined, he'll pay for the hit, and then that'll be that.

Unfortunate that Losman got injured, but I don't think that was Vince's intent at all, and his interview echoes that.

That said, this would be a scary sight:

EDIT -

Also, I do find it strange that Losman didn't move backwards. He said in his interview that he was 'watching the catch' and then got hit. Well, why not watch the pass rush and shuffle backwards out of harms way?

I can't help thinking that if Losman had any sense of the rush at all that the hit would have been easily avoided. I've seen Brady get out of the way of many hits that would have injured him if he wasn't paying attention.

And it was late enough that he was watching the catch as he got hit, so he had plenty of time to move backwards out of the way if he'd only been paying attention.

I was going to say the same thing as the first two lines, almost verbatim. After I got the chance to see the play again a couple times, it is clear that he was using his elbow to purposely make contact with Losman. And I really was going to use the exact line, "let Losman know he was there." Creepy.

Anyway, I don't think you can blame Losman for not moving out of the way. Watch Brady this week and tell me how many times he moves after throwing the ball if he wasn't on the go in the first place. I bet it won't be more than a handful of times, if at all.

Oswlek on 09-25-2007 at 10:57 AM said:
I was going to say the same thing as the first two lines, almost verbatim. After I got the chance to see the play again a couple times, it is clear that he was using his elbow to purposely make contact with Losman. And I really was going to use the exact line, "let Losman know he was there." Creepy.

lol, that is kinda spooky.

If you also have turned vegetarian in the past week and tried veggie sausage then I'll be truly freaked out.

Anyway, I don't think you can blame Losman for not moving out of the way. Watch Brady this week and tell me how many times he moves after throwing the ball if he wasn't on the go in the first place. I bet it won't be more than a handful of times, if at all.

Hmm, maybe it's just my mind exaggerating what's taken place, but it seems like Brady normally gets out of the way of the rush even after the pass (IE guys falling towards him, etc)..

The only time I've seen him hit really is as he's releasing the ball, or nanoseconds after that fact.

For instance there was that play against (I think) the Titans in '06 where Brady shuffled backwards away from the rush and the defender kept coming as though to injure him.. I think that if Brady had stayed still on that play that he'd have been seriously injured or at least "Losman'd", but he got out of the way and all it drew was the flag..

You may be right that it's the exception rather than the rule, but I still can't imagine Brady getting hurt because he simply didn't see a pass rusher. He seems to have 'spider sense' about those guys coming.

And then when you think about the times that Brady has gotten crushed or hurt.. it's almost always been in the act of throwing.

Anywho, could be wrong, but my minds eye is telling me things and sometimes I can't help but listen, lol.

Brownfan80 on 09-25-2007 at 11:07 AM said:
lol, that is kinda spooky.

If you also have turned vegetarian in the past week and tried veggie sausage then I'll be truly freaked out.

Hmm, maybe it's just my mind exaggerating what's taken place, but it seems like Brady normally gets out of the way of the rush even after the pass (IE guys falling towards him, etc)..

The only time I've seen him hit really is as he's releasing the ball, or nanoseconds after that fact.

For instance there was that play against (I think) the Titans in '06 where Brady shuffled backwards away from the rush and the defender kept coming as though to injure him.. I think that if Brady had stayed still on that play that he'd have been seriously injured or at least "Losman'd", but he got out of the way and all it drew was the flag..

You may be right that it's the exception rather than the rule, but I still can't imagine Brady getting hurt because he simply didn't see a pass rusher. He seems to have 'spider sense' about those guys coming.

And then when you think about the times that Brady has gotten crushed or hurt.. it's almost always been in the act of throwing.

Anywho, could be wrong, but my minds eye is telling me things and sometimes I can't help but listen, lol.

I was a vegetarian for several years, but I eat some meat now. no go on that one.

I remember the play in question clearly and Brady did not start moving backwards until he was hit. He was actually very lucky to not blow out a knee on the muddy surface, because he leg slid back rather than sticking. But he was not moving backwards until after the contact was made.

With regard to Losman, he really had no need to move backwards. It was a legitimately late hit that he had no way of expecting. I could be wrong, so let's use this week as our guinea pig. watch Brady after the throw and see if he purposefully moves away from the lineman after his follow through.

i dont think there are any qb's in the league anymore that dont watch where their passes go

Oswlek on 09-25-2007 at 11:15 AM said:
I was a vegetarian for several years, but I eat some meat now. no go on that one.

I remember the play in question clearly and Brady did not start moving backwards until he was hit. He was actually very lucky to not blow out a knee on the muddy surface, because he leg slid back rather than sticking. But he was not moving backwards until after the contact was made.

With regard to Losman, he really had no need to move backwards. It was a legitimately late hit that he had no way of expecting. I could be wrong, so let's use this week as our guinea pig. watch Brady after the throw and see if he purposefully moves away from the lineman after his follow through.

Hmm, you're right then, it must be my mind painting a different picture than it really happened. Thanks for setting me straight, Os.

I figure I'll go back to meat eventually, but for now I'm trying to detox and get used to having more vegetables in my diet. Once I'm used to it I'm sure I can sneak meat back into my diet without making it the the 50% part of my diet like before.

Brownfan80 on 09-25-2007 at 11:25 AM said:
Hmm, you're right then, it must be my mind painting a different picture than it really happened. Thanks for setting me straight, Os.

I figure I'll go back to meat eventually, but for now I'm trying to detox and get used to having more vegetables in my diet. Once I'm used to it I'm sure I can sneak meat back into my diet without making it the the 50% part of my diet like before.

Stick with fresh vegetables and try to mix in raw veggies as often as possible.

Frozen vegetables have minimal health benefits and the digestable value of cooked veggies drops as well - not so much that you shouldn't do it at all, but enough that you do want to eat a healthy amount of your veggies raw. Don't overdo the dips and dressing either because for the most part they are horrible for you.

Another delicious way to do it is making soup. Don't get that cambell's crap. Even the Heatlhy Choice stuff has miniscule health benefits compared to homemade soup.

Oswlek on 09-25-2007 at 11:31 AM said:
Stick with fresh vegetables and try to mix in raw veggies as often as possible.

Frozen vegetables have minimal health benefits and the digestable value of cooked veggies drops as well - not so much that you shouldn't do it at all, but enough that you do want to eat a healthy amount of your veggies raw. Don't overdo the dips and dressing either because for the most part they are horrible for you.

Another delicious way to do it is making soup. Don't get that cambell's crap. Even the Heatlhy Choice stuff has miniscule health benefits compared to homemade soup.

Thanks for all the tips Os, I'm emailing them to myself so that I don't lose them.

I'm really hoping that the drastic change in diet helps me reach my fitness and health goals.

I've been working out for years with minimal results, yet in just this week without meat I'm already seeing a sizable difference in my definition and tone.

:thumb:

well for those that are looking for my "thoughts" on the play you can read them in hear and switch the names.

Damn reading some of this thread makes me wonder where the F SB39 is?!?!!

Back