WTF is this ... Michael Sam Story

None of it makes sense. Why would they make that deal if they just turn around and agree to be on the show this season?

One of the strikes against this story is that the Hard Knocks participant is decided awhile before the draft, so it would seem very iffy. But, what if they said IF you take him, you won't be on the hook for 3 years, or something.

Could it also have been a differently worded agreement?

Like maybe there was an internal rumor that whoever drafted Sam would likely be the next team to film Hard Knocks (feed off the media frenzy) and teams like the Rams expressed concern - in response the NFL told the Rams that if they drafted him that they wouldn't be forced to film Hard Knocks. He's not on the team now so it's moot.

:shrug:

I mean they called up teams after Sam was released by St Louis to find someone to take him on, so this is not at all far fetched to me.

The story behind this that I am hearing is that the league needed a team to draft Sam because when he came out and said he was gay his draft value plummeted. Had no team selected the SEC defensive player of the year, the NFL feared a discrimination law suit. They asked the Rams to draft him in exchange for them to be considered for the LA franchise which they ended up getting (wink, wink). Collusion at its finest. I hope the PA sues.

The story behind this that I am hearing is that the league needed a team to draft Sam because when he came out and said he was gay his draft value plummeted. Had no team selected the SEC defensive player of the year, the NFL feared a discrimination law suit. They asked the Rams to draft him in exchange for them to be considered for the LA franchise which they ended up getting (wink, wink). Collusion at its finest. I hope the PA sues.

Ironic because he couldn't even make the Rams' roster....

Ironic because he couldn't even make the Rams' roster....

He was too sensitive apparently. Is that PC? lol.

If I remember his draft status right, wasn't he projected to be a 4th round selection because folks saw him as a tweener (no pun intended)? He was too small to be a DE and not fast enough to be a LB. But once he said he was gay, his draft stock took a nose dive but most still thought he would be drafted.

Ya, I just mean it's ironic that there was concern he'd be unfairly shafted (oops) because of his sexual orientation while deserving a better draft position, yet in the end he wasn't good enough to even play in the league at all. Worries were moot in the end.

Ya, I just mean it's ironic that there was concern he'd be unfairly shafted (oops) because of his sexual orientation while deserving a better draft position, yet in the end he wasn't good enough to even play in the league at all. Worries were moot in the end.

He totally misplayed his gay admission IMO. He made it into a reality show with all the press he did instead of touting his football abilities. A real shame in a way for the homosexual community as he had a real chance to try to be a voice for them in a very macho sport. Of course given he did not have the football talent which he probably already knew, he touted the gayness and did land on a team so perhaps it was the right play for him but man did he set back the gay agenda for football.

He totally misplayed his gay admission IMO. He made it into a reality show with all the press he did instead of touting his football abilities. A real shame in a way for the homosexual community as he had a real chance to try to be a voice for them in a very macho sport. Of course given he did not have the football talent which he probably already knew, he touted the gayness and did land on a team so perhaps it was the right play for him but man did he set back the gay agenda for football.

i am not sure what you are trying to say here

gay agenda what "gay agenda" are you talking about?

just how did this supposed "gay agenda" get set back?

are you saying his coming out in the press and doing the talk show circuit cost him a spot on an nfl roster even though he was drafted and had his shot at making a team?

i am not sure what you are trying to say here

gay agenda what "gay agenda" are you talking about?

just how did this supposed "gay agenda" get set back?

are you saying his coming out in the press and doing the talk show circuit cost him a spot on an nfl roster even though he was drafted and had his shot at making a team?

I think him leading with his sexuality versus his football abilities was a mistake.

I think he has made it harder for other football players to come out and that is a shame.

I think him leading with his sexuality versus his football abilities was a mistake.

I think he has made it harder for other football players to come out and that is a shame.

i guess i just dont see it how his coming out mattered or how it hurt others chances? he had a shot and failed, that had nothing to do with his coming out as far as i can tell, unless you have evidence to the contrary?

i guess i just dont see it how his coming out mattered or how it hurt others chances? he had a shot and failed, that had nothing to do with his coming out as far as i can tell, unless you have evidence to the contrary?

I don't think his coming out hurt him from making a team. Although who can be sure as football is a tough environment with machismo galore. And his draft stock did plummet when he came out. Still, I think that was worth the risk for him and being a trailblazer of sorts. He just wasn't good enough. Just like many others before him. But he led so much with his sexuality that football seemed secondary and still does even today when he talks about a return to the NFL after failing in the Canadian league.

I don't think his coming out hurt him from making a team. Although who can be sure as football is a tough environment with machismo galore. And his draft stock did plummet when he came out. Still, I think that was worth the risk for him and being a trailblazer of sorts. He just wasn't good enough. Just like many others before him. But he led so much with his sexuality that football seemed secondary and still does even today when he talks about a return to the NFL after failing in the Canadian league.

Troy Aikman played in the league for a few years... :shrug_n:

Back