You know you're old if...

JD10367 on 12-22-2006 at 09:59 PM said:
A "multiplex" had three screens.
There were no multiplexes (old).
There were very few theaters (older).
The theater was big and had a velvet curtain and an organist (REALLY old).

The "T" used overhead tracks on the Orange Line.
The "T" used Heath Street all the way to the end.
The "T" was new and cheap to ride (older).
The "T" consisted of cablecars on the street (REALLY old).

One reason I'm glad I grew up when I did was movie theater balconies. My childhood wouldn't have been complete without many weekends sitting in the balcony first row and picking out one random guy in the crowd below to throw popcorn at through the entire film. The interesting days were when it was a big younger guy who looked back and saw us and then came running up to the balcony, sending us scattering in 5 different directions.

Also, IMO, the E train should still continue all the way to Arborway. JP has some nice old houses and it's right next to Jamaica Pond. I think property values would go up if the green line ran down Center Street. More yuppies would commute from there.

AZPatsFan on 12-23-2006 at 01:15 PM said:
I recall:

Listening to dramas on the ... Radio

Waiting forever for DisneyLand to open

Trying to master the hula hoop

Watching the Friday night fights.
Listening to Polly sing:
"Be Sharp ! (Ring)
Stay Sharp ! (Ring)
Use Gilette Blue Blades!"

Waiting a week to see the next episode
of the serial at
at the Satuday Movie matinee

Watching the Giants an

d Colts and
hoping that Unitas would win the championship...

Disappointed when the Braves left

Watching Cousy and Russell
Waiting for Red to light his cigar!
The Friday night fights sponsored by Gillette! Boxing seemed like it was on a par back then with baseball and football because of the Friday night fights. Sad when they ended and it all went pay per view. I didn't see Brockton's Rocky Marciano win the title against Jersey Joe Walcott, no TV yet I guess. But we had one for the rematch. My parents invited a bunch of people over, food and everything set up, big anticipation, and Rocky knocked him out in the first round! Bittersweet. Of course, everyone in the house was Italian, so it was kill the (unmentionable).

I remember the Braves leaving also, saw them play at old Braves Field once or twice with the "Jury Box".

Cousy and Russell Waiting for Red to light his cigar! What more could I say...

does anyone here remember when the United States didn't use Zip Codes for the mail? :eek:

does anyone beside Box_of_Rocks remember when ALL mail was Rural Route Delivery? :eek: :eek:

RoadGrader on 12-23-2006 at 05:04 PM said:
does anyone here remember when the United States didn't use Zip Codes for the mail? :eek:

does anyone beside Box_of_Rocks remember when ALL mail was Rural Route Delivery? :eek: :eek:

Did they do it on ponies? ROFL

JD10367 on 12-23-2006 at 05:05 PM said:
Did they do it on ponies? ROFL
speaking of ponies JD, I got one for the ex-innerCity boy in you........

do you ever remember "The Rag Man" coming around your part of town with his horse-drawn cart picking up "recyclables"?

RoadGrader on 12-23-2006 at 05:09 PM said:
speaking of ponies JD, I got one for the ex-innerCity boy in you........

do you ever remember "The Rag Man" coming around your part of town with his horse-drawn cart picking up "recyclables"?

I think that's a little past my time. But my Dad probably knows him. :D

or when volkswagon only made one model and it was called the "beetle" or the "bug."

and was once again under $2000.00.

stainlee on 12-23-2006 at 05:51 PM said:
or when volkswagon only made one model and it was called the "beetle" or the "bug."

and was once again under $2000.00.

Well, it WAS introduced by Hitler, after all... So it's been around a long time!

I remember alot of that. When cable first came out, my dad refused to pay for tv. But on my bedrooms 19 inch tv with just rabbit ears I could get HBO on channel 3. My first movie I saw with nudity, The Hollywood Knights.

the pull tabs on your beer can actually pulled completely off and you had to watch out that you didn't swallow one after you forgot you put it back in the can before drinking :shake: :party:

Re: Re: You know you're old if...

RoadGrader on 12-23-2006 at 06:06 PM said:
the pull tabs on your beer can actually pulled completely off and you had to watch out that you didn't swallow one after you forgot you put it back in the can before drinking :shake: :party:

Yeah, and didn't those little removable things have other uses? You could MacGyver them into other things, like impromptu fishing lures. :D

With respect to the phone numbers:

How many cookies did Andrew eat?
Andrew ate eight thousand.
How do you keep your carpets neat?
Call Andrew 8 - 8000.

I think the most old time seeming thing I can remember is that when I was little, a Hood milkman used to come to our house regularly and leave milk in bottles with paper lids on them.

sir_drinkalot on 12-22-2006 at 11:53 PM said:
yeah. But your butt looks finely tuned and uhh.. finely tuned.:)

I gave birth to 3 boys, am 44 years old..but my ass is still a size 5..yep, I feel better now........:D

chiefsgal on 12-23-2006 at 05:17 PM said:
I gave birth to 3 boys, am 44 years old..but my ass is still a size 5..yep, I feel better now........:D
Asses, by themselves, have sizes? Learn something new every day. So, would a bony ass be a size 1 and a bubblebutt a 20, or something? :jester:

Congrats on keeping it a 5, anyhoo!

Vito Babe on 12-23-2006 at 08:32 PM said:
Asses, by themselves, have sizes? Learn something new every day. So, would a bony ass be a size 1 and a bubblebutt a 20, or something? :jester:

Congrats on keeping it a 5, anyhoo!

ROFL you make it too complicated, what it means is my ass fits a size 5 jeans,shorts or skirt...I also have no idea what a size 20 ass looks like, so you are on your own.....:D

chiefsgal on 12-23-2006 at 08:17 PM said:

What?!? You're older than me?!? :reche: Why did I think you were, like, late 20's or something? Now I'm all messed up, LOL...

So, 44 and a Size 5, huh? You KNOW that certain Planeteers will now be asking for pictorial evidence. :D

Back